Cycle Path Ettiqute

Mark Elvin
Mark Elvin Posts: 997
edited August 2012 in Commuting chat
Riding down the B2B cycle path yesterday evening when I came upon a family who were walking as a group, they saw me coming & politely moved to one side.

I slowed so as to not pass them at full chat when from behind I hear "Oh for f**ks sake come on, they've moved" from some 'tard on a nice Bianchi.

I carried on & once passed the family proceeded at my normal speed. The Bianchi passed me swearing to himself (although 2 miles further down he was repairing a puncture).

No real moral or anything, I just couldn't belive what I was hearing.
2012 Cannondale Synapse

Comments

• peat
    peat Posts: 1,242
    Well, you OBVIOUSLY cost that Strava KOM he was trying for.... (Definitely you, not that he is cr@p).

You did the right thing, you cannot predict what kids/dogs are going to do so passing flat-out is stupid. If he wants to go as fast as a car, go on the road.
  • Peat wrote:
    Well, you OBVIOUSLY cost that Strava KOM he was trying for.... (Definitely you, not that he is cr@p).

You did the right thing, you cannot predict what kids/dogs are going to do so passing flat-out is stupid. If he wants to go as fast as a car, go on the road.

+1

we cant complain that cars don't give us enough room and pass at speed when we do the same to pedestrians...ok we can, but you get my point.
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Sounds like a class-A c0ck.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    I've got a video available that shows how I negotiate people when I'm on a bridle path?

(too much now? :lol: )
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • I was under the impression that there is a 12mph speed limit on shared paths... so you shouldnt be going full chat anyway...
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • twist83
    twist83 Posts: 761
    What a douche bag! As has been said Kids/Dogs are unpredictable at best. Even adults are. Imagine hitting a child or dog at a decent speed. He got some Karma with the puncture. Should have laughed at him as you passed by
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    I've got a video available that shows how I negotiate people when I'm on a bridle path?

(too much now? :lol: )

Not more scaring of children and small animals :wink:
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    I was under the impression that there is a 12mph speed limit on shared paths...

That's news to me. Certainly isn't anything ON my local shared paths to indicate such a thing, so even if it's the case, I don't know how people are supposed to know about it, let alone adhere to it if they don't have a speedo on the bike...
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,963
    I was under the impression that there is a 12mph speed limit on shared paths... so you shouldnt be going full chat anyway...
    Well, you say that but you lot rounded on me last week for asking whether a speed limit of 6mph or 4mph on part of national cycle route 75 was reasonable.

The 12 mph is a recommended design parameter, as I understand it.
  • Big_Paul
    Big_Paul Posts: 277
    Agent57 wrote:
    I was under the impression that there is a 12mph speed limit on shared paths...

That's news to me. Certainly isn't anything ON my local shared paths to indicate such a thing, so even if it's the case, I don't know how people are supposed to know about it, let alone adhere to it if they don't have a speedo on the bike...

One path I use has a 5mph limit, although the sinage is a sticker half hidden on a pole at one end of it, not another indictaion of a speed limit for the rest of the path, and none coming the other way. TBH, I try to keep out of folks way, but I ride at my own pace, I'm not going to put myself or anyone else in any danger for the sake of letting someone past.

I hope you gave the bloke with the Bianchi a Nelson Muntz style "Ha-Ha" as you passed him at the side of the path? Sounds a right prat. :D
    Disc Trucker
    Kona Ute
    Rockrider 8.1
    Evil Resident
    Day 01 Disc
    Viking Derwent Tandem
    Planet X London Road
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Mr Bianchi would be fuming if he had to ride between Bitton and Warmley at 15:30 weekday afternoons, school run time. With the other cyclists and schoolkids the section of the path is always pootle which Strava doesn't recognise :(
    The way you acted was the same as what I'd do though I tend to go right over to the other edge of the path if possible.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Twostage
    Twostage Posts: 987
    I was on a shared cyclepath, bridleway, path the other morning. There was a group of senior walkers up ahead so I slowed down and rang my bell. One of the blokes turned round and said "Now you are a proper cyclist". I guess they had encountered some not quite so considerate cyclists earlier.

(it did knacker a strava segment though)
  • Mark Elvin
    Mark Elvin Posts: 997
    I was under the impression that there is a 12mph speed limit on shared paths... so you shouldnt be going full chat anyway...

Does it really matter at the times when there is nobody else around
    2012 Cannondale Synapse
  • Mark Elvin wrote:

Ah thats an argument akin to "if a tree falls.... "

Heisenberg had it right...
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • Mr Sworld
    Mr Sworld Posts: 703
    Mark Elvin wrote:

That means you can't use Strava because measuring it changes it.... :wink:
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Mr Sworld wrote:
    Mark Elvin wrote:

That means you can't use Strava because measuring it changes it.... :wink:

Only if you check.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • airbag
    airbag Posts: 201
    'tis why I am suspicious of unsegregated paths. Pedestrians generally have very little awareness and groups can fill an amazingly wide path, and they should be allowed to continue to be this way. The ride between my house and gf's is along a very nice riverside path... but on any remotely sunny day I'll take the road instead to avoid the crowds.

Just be courteous, there's no objective standard so you'll have to judge this yourself - the next time you meet someone they might be in a car, so I'd prefer they didn't have a reason to hate cyclists. Just let Bianchi Man get on with being a knob on his own time.
  • I have a very lovely commute though Bushy Park between Deer, dogs, kids, etc

You do tend to need to keep the speed down, only late night can you normally give it beans!

But it means most days I don't stop for any lights.

I can go the longer way on the road which though fairly busy is a lot quicker.

But Bushy is a lovely calm route but clearly on nice days it's slow.
  • memsley89
    memsley89 Posts: 247
    I have a very lovely commute though Bushy Park between Deer, dogs

FENTON!
  • I encountered a mobility scooter in the cycle path the other day.

I was going to have a word, but I honestly didn't know what to say.

That and i was hanging out my ar*e nearing the crest of a hill on a PB, so more important things took over.

Out of curiosity, has anyone ever had this before? And what's the correct (if any) response to an intruder in the cycle lane?
    Hills are like half life - they wait until you're 50% recovered from one before hitting you in the face with the next.

http://www.pedalmash.co.uk/
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,963
    Was it one of those scootersr intended for road use? If so, he was probably using the cycle lane for the same reason that some cyclists take to the pavement. It isn't right, but its understandable.
  • merkin
    merkin Posts: 452
    Just ride past him and get on with your day while he gets on with his day. What's the problem with sharing the track with a mobility scooter? It is probably a more suitable place for him than the main road.
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    Twostage wrote:
    I was on a shared cyclepath, bridleway, path the other morning. There was a group of senior walkers up ahead so I slowed down and rang my bell. One of the blokes turned round and said "Now you are a proper cyclist". I guess they had encountered some not quite so considerate cyclists earlier.

(it did knacker a strava segment though)

I've just cycled to Bakewell and back from Chapel, (the wife and kids have gone to Scotland leaving me to go to work :? so I decided a 40-mile pootle was reasonable.

I went along the Monsal trail and there were loads of unfit men on mountain bikes going as fast as they could (about 15-mph) and weaving amongst the groups of walkers and very small kids on bikes.
    The same thing happened when I went there with my kids.

A lot of the walkers were fairly clueless, and on the way back I did see someone telling off a group of people who were looking shamefaced - I heard, "that could be quite dangerous".

I did ask the person standing in the middle of the track in one of the tunnels to please move to one side, especially as he was pretty hard to see. A lot of people with no awareness.

As far as I could tell the people on the Monsal trail are very similar to those in the Batman Bomb scene (from the Adam West movie)

(One of my son's favourite film scenes, so I just wanted an excuse to post that link)