Manchester 100, how tough?

spatt77
spatt77 Posts: 324
Hi, I`m thinking about doing this but can`t find any info on how much climbing is involved, has anybody done this or can point me in the right direction please? cheers

Comments

• apart from a steepish hill near the end its virtually flat. Nothing massivley steep and the long hills that are there you could do in the big ring. Sognage and marshalling excellent. Foodstops had cakes, bananas, bars - usual fayre.

It has a great atmosphere and a brilliant way to do the century - i'm hoping to do it again this year.

Loads of queues though for the parking the year before last, couldnt say if its been sorted or not, was the only bummer.

Tons of people stopping off at unofficial foodtops ( pubs and cafes on route) as well to get sustenance so you were basically looking at a foodstop every 20 miles or so.

Loads of diferent ability riders - one man of 70 did it on a brompton - lovely countryside, flat roads - do it with your mates and its a brilliant day out.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • dav3e
    dav3e Posts: 46
    Having ridden much of the Cheshire countryside that the route covers, I wouldn't say there are any hills that would be of any problem.
  • spatt77
    many thanks, i`ve been trying to find a profile for the route but als no luck yet, i did the northern angel sportive a while back, that was my first and even though i did the " fun" route it was still 68 mile and 3000ft of climbing, so just want to know what i`m letting myself in for! :D
  • kayo74
    kayo74 Posts: 299
    This will be my 3 one coming up and if you wanted to try out your first 100 miler then this is a good one as it is mostly flat and the odd climb but nothing to worry about. The problem I find on this is the head wind as your in the countryside and very open fields so not a lot of shelter.
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    I did it a couple of years ago, I think about 3300ft in climbing over the 100 miles, easy to keep a good pace, the target is to do it in under 5 hours, we just missed that target by minutes.

Probably one of the best century rides I have done, brilliant marshalling, well organised, loads of comradely, you will really enjoy it and the small speed bump at the end is a big ring affair, absolutely nothing to worry about.
  • Solis
    Solis Posts: 166
    I recorded 2845 ft on the ride a couple of years ago, as above the only hill of any note is a few miles from the end coming out of Wilmslow, not much of hill but noteable as its about the only reasonable gradient on the route. To give you an idea the highest point of the route is only about 320 ft above sea level. Have a tcx file of the route if you pm me an email address.
  • spatt77
    cheers that would be great! pm`d you my email :D
  • rdt
    rdt Posts: 869
    There's a lot of people riding, big groups forming, a few folks getting carried away on occasion - particularly early doors, or just after the halfway point re-start. Watch out for a numpty taking you out and spoiling your day (and your bike).

My crash detectors go to defcon 1 on these Bike Events rides!
  • limoneboy
    limoneboy Posts: 480
    Done this for the last 2 years , i is a very flat route . the only other hill is just out of delemere forest short but quiet steep, just make sure your in the right gear ,had to laugh last year as a couple of lads on scotts kept flying past on the down hills and slow on the flats came to the hill at delemere in wrong gear and both fell overs sideways in slow motion- Class !

As above watch out for poor cycle skills , bloke in our group of 20+ had (all gear no idea) wipe me and another guy out as he wandered across the group at 23mph like Roberto Ferrari and clipped my front wheel .

Great day though and met a lot of great people along the way.
    last month wilier gt -this month ? bh rc1
  • sturmey
    sturmey Posts: 964
    Anyone paying to enter? Only ask as you get no timing chip,no free food and it was apparent last 3 times I've ridden it that hundreds of participants have no numbers on shirts suggesting a lot don't bother to enter 'officially'.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    sturmey wrote:
    Anyone paying to enter? Only ask as you get no timing chip,no free food and it was apparent last 3 times I've ridden it that hundreds of participants have no numbers on shirts suggesting a lot don't bother to enter 'officially'.

Sportives - numbers on the bike
    BC Races etc - numbers on back of jersey and if TT can be on shoulder as well.
  • This'll be my first sportive and 2nd century. Looking forward to it, I believe this is last years route.

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/28483
    Cube Acid 2011 MTB
    Boardman Road Team....... yes i have had the BB re-greased :-)
  • sturmey
    sturmey Posts: 964
    JGSI wrote:
    sturmey wrote:

Sportives - numbers on the bike
    BC Races etc - numbers on back of jersey and if TT can be on shoulder as well.

Not so in this event. Most riders wore numbers on shirts.
    I had 300 miles in which to notice this. Thanks anyway.
  • Some fairly fit mates of mine who have done the Manchester 100 said it was far easier than the Cheshire Cat 67 miler as it was basically flat...hope that helps as a comparison
  • I did it the other year after 3 months off the bike with no riding in my legs at all. Keep hydrated, eat regularly and its easily doable
    Bianchi. There are no alternatives only compromises!
    I RIDE A KONA CADABRA -would you like to come and have a play with my magic link?