Alarm clocks

desweller
desweller Posts: 5,175
edited August 2012 in Commuting chat
Despite having my radio loud enough to shake the pictures from the walls, I still do not wake up for 20 minutes or so after it's started.

So, I reckon I need something a bit louder and more insistent. Any recommendations?
- - - - - - - - - -
On Strava.{/url}

Comments

• I used to help people with disabilities get and keep jobs. One issue for deaf clients was getting up in the morning to get to work on time. There are vibration pads which go under pillows which can be activated by a clock

like these

http://www.actiononhearingloss.org.uk/s ... locks.aspx
  • Do you find you can wake up fine if you're going out for a ride or doing something else you enjoy? It may be that you just don't want to get up for work. I used to work with a guy who declared that he was not a morning person and he struggled at work in the morning. One day he realised that was nonsense as he could get out of bed fine at the weekends to play golf (his passion). So he went out and got a job he actually enjoyed!
  • desweller
    Arthur, that looks bloody awesome!

White Horse, no I'm crap even at getting up for stuff I want to do. E.g. last weekend I had a big ride in the Brecons to look forward to on the Sunday, but had to get up fairly early if I wanted to do it in daylight hours (the Tour of the Black Mountains route). To cut a long story short I didn't get back to the car until gone 9 o'clock at night... I actually quite like my job (unfashionable to admit it, I know).
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • estampida
    estampida Posts: 1,008
    pure radio siesta

can set up to 10 daily alarms (can have them going off every 1 min) alternating between dab, fm, and various alarm noises

or set your alarm to go off 20 mins early........
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,677
    Hook it up to an Airzound... see if that works. If that doesn't wake you, the neighbours with pitchforks at the door will soon sort it. :D
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    My missus is the best alarm clock in the world, but I dont insist on getting one of those.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I'm the same. I keep hitting snooze. I even have an app on my phone (Sleep, on android) that puts up a little maths problem to solve before the alarm stops.

I've seemingly managed to do these in my sleep and disable the alarm without 'knowing' about it...... :oops:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    DesWeller wrote:
    Despite having my radio loud enough to shake the pictures from the walls, I still do not wake up for 20 minutes or so after it's started.

So, I reckon I need something a bit louder and more insistent. Any recommendations?

A wife?
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • I used to help people with disabilities get and keep jobs. One issue for deaf clients was getting up in the morning to get to work on time. There are vibration pads which go under pillows which can be activated by a clock

like these

http://www.actiononhearingloss.org.uk/s ... locks.aspx

No need to keep it under the pillow, neither.
  • DesWeller wrote:

A wife?

or children..
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • DesWeller wrote:

A wife?

or children..

Both. And a puppy.
  • A couple of early nights?
  • A couple of early nights?

with the wife of a friend who works nights?
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • peat
    peat Posts: 1,242
    The radio wakes me up most of the time, but i have a standard alarm clock set as a backup.

Note: Alarm set for the time i actually need to get up, Radio set 15mins prior.
  • Yukirin
    Yukirin Posts: 231
    I get slapped on the head by an 11 month old at 6.30 +-10 mins every day. On the rare occasion he sleeps through, or cant reach me and goes back to sleep (the cot is right next to my side of the bed but he is considerate and wont shout) then a 3 year old will be jumping on my bed at 7.30 demanding angry birds and his breakfast.

When I used to start work at 5.30 many years ago I had 3 alarms set to go off at the same time. The dissonance used to make me feel sick though.
  • Mr Sworld
    Mr Sworld Posts: 703
    A Money Shredding Alarm clock?

Money-Shredding-Alarm-Clock-1.jpg

:shock:
  • desweller
    Mr Sworld wrote:
    A Money Shredding Alarm clock?

Money-Shredding-Alarm-Clock-1.jpg

:shock:

At lunchtime (about the same time as I started this thread), I quizzed my colleagues. They've taken it upon themselves to give me a 'Late Box'; costs me £10 per infraction, but I get £2.50 back if I'm on time.

Tomorrow is going to be interesting.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,963
    DesWeller wrote:

A wife?
    Get a cat. Cheaper.
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    It's amazing what you can do IF you want to/have to :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • Mr Sworld
    Mr Sworld Posts: 703
    I used to get up at the absolute last minute and just get into work on time.

Then I went and did the GR20 for 9 days. A week of getting up at 4.30 in the morning to make sure you were ascending the mountains in the cool of the morning fixed me... :|