The Vuelta: Who are you looking forward to seeing?

Comments

• Of course Froome v Contador on the climbs, plus their respective domestiques.
  • Stage 12 is hilarious.
    180kms of gentle riding along the coast.
    Then, a final 2kms at over 13%.
    More of a cliff than a climb.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Froome doesn't have much fighting talk and hasn't seen much of the course.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    andyp wrote:
    Given Contador's lack of racing, does anyone envisage a few teams trying to make the opening ten days harder than normal so he doesn't have time to ride back into proper racing shape?

Its a good question. Sometimes I think riders/DS arent as clever as people on this forum.

I think people would have noted his form in Eneco (admittedly not the same as racing a mountain stage) and seen that he is going superbly even with all that time off so assume that there is little they can take advantage of.

The Giro and Vuelta appear to be raced not as hard or as fast as the Tour, so maybe that will help Contador at first, if he is struggling to find a rhythm.
    He is spannish so they won't do hm over, the spannish just want to stop Froome/Sky winning, interesting to see Hanoe in this.
  • secretsqirrel
    secretsqirrel Posts: 1,782
    I'm looking forward to Contador's return 8) .

Also Freddy Kessiakoff, he had a good Tour in the mountains and went well in the Vuelta last year until he got sick.
  • josame
    josame Posts: 1,141
    Milton50 wrote:
    Looking forward to some epic battles between Contador, Froome, J-Rod, Quintana, Henao et al. All of the favourites have so much to prove. If this Vuelta is boring then we may as well give up on GTs as a spectacle.

Yup yup, but you forgot Linus ... NRST have said he is one of their 3 GC riders!! :D
    'Do not compare your bike to others, for always there will be greater and lesser bikes'
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    I'm actually looking forward to Contador, after the climbing form he showed on the Muur
    Thats a sprint not a climb
  • polocini
    polocini Posts: 201
    I'm looking forward to seeing.............everyone in pieces on the Collada de la Gallina (Pass of the chicken) in Andorra. I was there in February for a recce and it's going to be an unbelievable finish to a stage. It's pretty horrific, it's not too long but the percentages are daft in places. I'll be riding up it (or walking) before the stage and finding a nice spot to watch the carnage!!

As always though I'm looking forward to seeing Gilbert in person!!!

AL
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    I am really looking forward to seeing the return of the True Champion - Alberto Contador.

I so hope he destroys everyone! :mrgreen:
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986

That's because his girlfriend wears the trousers ;)
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,821
    Reckon it'll be like his Giro win?

Starts of slow, but slowly and surely gets quicker and quicker and quicker till he has the entire race in a vice-like grip?
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    Reckon it'll be like his Giro win?

Starts of slow, but slowly and surely gets quicker and quicker and quicker till he has the entire race in a vice-like grip?

He will have to be on the ball though, this race get's pretty tough from Stage 2 onwards.
  • Froome doesn't have much fighting talk and hasn't seen much of the course.

Maybe she's recce'd the climbs for him

Bertie must be trembling in his Sidis after Froomey's press conference
  • rick_chasey

Were you expecting some David Haye style trash talk?
  • Froome doesn't have much fighting talk and hasn't seen much of the course.

Yes, why not?? Seriously though a litte more than "I might go to the second stage and say 'this is too tough' or or I might say, ‘I've got the legs, let's carry on."
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,238

Yes, why not?? Seriously though a litte more than "I might go to the second stage and say 'this is too tough' or or I might say, ‘I've got the legs, let's carry on."

Unintentional reverse psychology, with Froome I think - meek and humble mumblings that belie a ferocious athletic talent reaching it's peak.
    When you think of some of the performances Froome has put out in the last year - putting Cobo on the rack in the Vuelta, his Planche de Belles Filles win (after towing the lead group for the previous 2km), his TT-ing... and putting everyone on the rack in the TdF - I think Contador will definitely be sh!tting himself - not just because of Froome and his team, but also because he's been out of the game and failed to win his last GT.
    His nick-name of 'Froome Dog' seems fitting because he reminds me of one of those ice-sled dogs that can run and run and run: my only worry is, now he's lead dog, are they going to careen off the track into the forest? The last thing we'll see is the back of Brailsford's slap-head disappearing into the undergrowth, with flailing arms, shouting "no, Chris, NOOOO!"....
  • ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    His nick-name of 'Froome Dog' seems fitting because he reminds me of one of those ice-sled dogs that can run and run and run: my only worry is, now he's lead dog, are they going to careen off the track into the forest? The last thing we'll see is the back of Brailsford's slap-head disappearing into the undergrowth, with flailing arms, shouting "no, Chris, NOOOO!"....

:D
    What a lovely image... can see Froome dog dry humping a podium girl's leg at some stage!

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey
  • OCDuPalais wrote:

Unintentional reverse psychology, with Froome I think - meek and humble mumblings that belie a ferocious athletic talent reaching it's peak.
    When you think of some of the performances Froome has put out in the last year - putting Cobo on the rack in the Vuelta, his Planche de Belles Filles win (after towing the lead group for the previous 2km), his TT-ing... and putting everyone on the rack in the TdF - I think Contador will definitely be sh!tting himself - not just because of Froome and his team, but also because he's been out of the game and failed to win his last GT.

"Fenton! Nooooooooooo....!"
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,238
    OCDuPalais wrote:

"Fenton! Nooooooooooo....!"

Of course, Fenton! That should be Froome's nick-name... Excellent.
  • rick_chasey
    I'm interested to see what Dekker can do.

That's more of a come back than Contador. He's barely been away!

My guess is not much.
  • frenchfighter
    Contador is the Greatest
  • rick_chasey
    FF - Cavendish avatar?

Didn't have you down as a manx missile fan.
  • frenchfighter
    It is an interesting one tho.

Will change it to something else in a cpl of days.

You still wont take me up on a Boonen avatar? I made one of this yday:

TourdeFrance2006StageTenRvGB17C7WF4l.jpg?t=1345147109
    Contador is the Greatest
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    It is an interesting one tho.

Will change it to something else in a cpl of days.

You still wont take me up on a Boonen avatar? I made one of this yday:

TourdeFrance2006StageTenRvGB17C7WF4l.jpg?t=1345147109

Ive got a hard on.
  • rick_chasey
    Come to bed eyes.
  • Come to bed eyes.

Mr. Spock ears though...
  • rick_chasey
    That just makes him look elvish.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    That just makes him look elvish.

I don't see the resemblance myself.

220px-ElvisPresleyAlohafromHawaii.jpg
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • That just makes him look elvish.

Ehh? Looks nothing like him!

Elvis-Presley-1-N1DPUH5FUB-1024x768.jpg

Oh wait, you mean elves... :D