Knackered Freehub

Jspence
Jspence Posts: 5
edited August 2012 in Road beginners
Hey guys
I took my three year old Boardman Comp in to get a service after hearing lot of noise coming from the back wheel. Turns out the freewheel is pretty knackered. The guy in the shop said that it's an easy job to replace it but for some reason they can't order in the part? They said I had to go back to Halfords and ask them. To save myself a bit of time (halfords is a trek for me) I thought I'd post on here - Any idea what freehub I need to buy so that the shop can fit it? And where can I can the freehub from? The wheels are Ritchey DS Pro.
Cheers
Spence

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    Budget factory wheels... difficult to source the spares... I bet Halfords is your only hope.
    Bear in mind the all wheel costs 80 pounds and weigh out whether the repair is worth it or not

Could not be a case of lack of oil? I'd try lubing it before replacing it
    left the forum March 2023
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    In what way has the freehub failed? If it's just bearings then chances are you can tap them out and replace them yourself.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • nbuuifx
    nbuuifx Posts: 302
    I had similar with my Boardman Comp (2008 model) MTB. The rear wheel started to make noise when cornering. On the MTB the wheel were Ritchey wheels and the hubs were Formula hubs. I took it to my local bike shop who suggested buying a new wheel as it would be cheaper than a new hub and labour. They also said to get original parts I would have to go to Halfords. I ended up doing as above and I dismantled removed the 2 bearings, went on ebay and ordered replacements. Total cost was about £4.50 and it's been perfect for the last 1000 miles or so since doing it.
  • Jspence
    Jspence Posts: 5
    Cheers for the help... went into halfords today and they said it would be about £30 to get it all done. Not a massive fan of them really, I prefer to use independent bike shops but the guy was reluctant to give me any help. I've had two friends who are fairly good with bikes and they both said "Freewheel is gone" I'm not especially good with bike repairs, so If I do get it fixed I'd prefer to give it to one of them (my mate works in the bike shop I usually go to). It's tempting to get a new wheel because I'm thinking of buying a turbo trainer and I suppose I could just use the Ritchey as a spare on that so I don't knacker up a decent set of wheels. By failed I mean the cassette spins both ways but I still have drive in the wheels, and when I try to put a bit of power through the chain I here a load of noise from the back.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    Jspence wrote:
    Cheers for the help... went into halfords today and they said it would be about £30 to get it all done. Not a massive fan of them really, I prefer to use independent bike shops but the guy was reluctant to give me any help. I've had two friends who are fairly good with bikes and they both said "Freewheel is gone" I'm not especially good with bike repairs, so If I do get it fixed I'd prefer to give it to one of them (my mate works in the bike shop I usually go to). It's tempting to get a new wheel because I'm thinking of buying a turbo trainer and I suppose I could just use the Ritchey as a spare on that so I don't knacker up a decent set of wheels. By failed I mean the cassette spins both ways but I still have drive in the wheels, and when I try to put a bit of power through the chain I here a load of noise from the back.

On the other hand 30 pounds is a fair quote
    left the forum March 2023
  • nbuuifx
    nbuuifx Posts: 302
    £30 is a very fair price, I take it that includes parts?

I'd be tempted to take it apart first and have a look, you will need some special tools but they're not expensive from ebay and they're useful to have around for the future.
  • on the road
    on the road Posts: 5,631
    Does it sound like it has grit in it? It might only need regreasing. My hub often gets noisy like that, if I take it apart and regrease it the noise goes away.