Changes at Las Azenarios (Carrots)...

MrTapir
MrTapir Posts: 1,206
edited August 2012 in Pro race
Just been on Probikekit looking at clearance pro jerseys and the headline on the carrots page says this:

BIG CHANGES AHEAD

The Orange jerseys weren't particularly prominent last year but when they did appear at the front of races, it was at those that really counted. Less hopeful was the resignation of team boss Igor González de Galdeano, citing his disappointment at young riders being poached by better-financed teams. Rumours that Galdeano may be back by season's end with more money and a culture shift that will see non-Basque riders in the team for the first time ever

I like the Carrots and wish they would win more, any ideas who they might be after?

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    MrTapir wrote:
    I like the Carrots and wish they would win more, any ideas who they might be after?

Me.

Contador's eligible to ride for them anyway.

Valv. perhaps?

Can't see them leaving iberia and going North European somehow.

It's one of the anachronisms in sport that I like.
  • MrTapir
    Yes I was wondering about Contador after I posted it. Somehow he doesnt seem to fit at Saxo. I was wondering whether they might go for someone like LLS, who is more punchy than their usual slight climbing type. I suppose they would need a couple of them, so its not like lots of tiny climbers and one rangy puncheur/barroudeur.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    the question really is - Who can they afford that's good.

And I'm afraid the answer is "no one really"
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    MrTapir wrote:

Bertie's from Madrid isn't he? Or does he have some Basque grandmother or so?
  • rick_chasey
    FJS wrote:
    MrTapir wrote:

If you've ridden for a Basque youth team it counts.

Hence Sam Sanchez.
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    Ah OK

Can't really see him moving there. Apart from budget reasons, the spanish media kinda milk his Madrid roots ('the boy from Pinto'), and madrid is the enemy... Politically, riders from Catalonia and Galicia would make more sense. J-Rod, Flecha, Mosquera? A Pereiro come back? :lol:
  • MrTapir
    FJS wrote:
    MrTapir wrote:

If you've ridden for a Basque youth team it counts.

Hence Sam Sanchez.

IS it not the case now that they are not requiring you have had previous associations with any Basque thing? I thought that was the point of the quote...
  • rick_chasey
    My point was the Contador was always eligible to ride for them.
  • cal_stewart
    cal_stewart Posts: 1,840
    They've stayed on their bike alot more this year
    eating parmos since 1981

Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Aero 09
    Cervelo P5 EPS
    www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13038799