Avid Elixir brake bleeding

TheCloud
TheCloud Posts: 42
edited September 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all, my wife has a set of Avid Elixir 5s on her xc bike, which have recently needed bleeding. I've got the proper bleed kit and fluid, but no matter what I do I can't get the front to bleed properly. Has anyone heard of the master cylinder seals letting air in? They're only a year old and don't get a massive amount of use.

Comments

• Go on Pinkbike and watch the SRAM tech videos on brake bleeding. It's defo a technique thing. I've had to bleed my brakes, front and rear, 3 times before I got them to the level I wanted.

Are you using a bleed block? I find this gets better results than leaving the wheel on?

How long do you spend de-gassing the dot fluid and de-gassing the lines & calipers? The longer you spend on these parts, the better the result.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    edited August 2012
    TheCloud wrote:
    but no matter what I do I can't get the front to bleed properly.
    what does that ACTUALLY mean, air comes out each time, or the lever is spongey? Have you advanced the pads?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Cue the paranoid Avid haters.
  • mrmonkfinger
    mrmonkfinger Posts: 1,452

have you exactly followed the instructions?
  • bennett_346
    Im willing to be you just aren't doing it correctly.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Cue the paranoid Avid haters.
    Have you been following me again?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • TheCloud
    TheCloud Posts: 42
    I've been doing exactly as per the pinkbike video, I've worked on a few different systems before and never had any trouble. The back's no problem but the front lever makes whining noises as if air is being sucked through them somehow when it's being bled up. All the Avid haters I know are workshop managers! My Deores are still going strong after 6 years and about 20,000m of use, never been bled since the first trimming of the lines.

In answer, bleed blocks in, degassing for about ten minutes per syringe, steps in same order as instructions and pinkbike.
  • The Rookie
    TheCloud wrote:
    what does that ACTUALLY mean, air comes out each time, or the lever is spongey? Have you advanced the pads?
    and........
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • bennett_346
    SO are they spongey or not then?
  • All sorted now, altough the front goes overly firm after a few rides, back's spot on. Cheers chaps
  • The Rookie
    Overly firm probably means overly filled.......

Did you fllow the correct procedure, what was your actual issue?
  • TheCloud wrote:
    the front goes overly firm after a few rides

90% sure its overfilled
  • Turns out the front piston keeps sticking despite meticulous cleaning. I've since met 5 other riders that have had the same problem, with the eventual fix being to replace them with XTs. Ebay it is! Cheers all for your help.
  • The Rookie
    THE front piston...there are two...so A or the front pistonS?

Not heard of it as an issue and my Juicy5's survived all sorts of abuse!
  • I bet it wasn't sticking.
  • No, I can't see how one sticky piston would lead to an overfirm lever, the other piston would just end up moving further to compensate, and you'd probably get brake rub.

The biggest problem I've had with bleeding brakes is going through the process, realising I've managed to leave some air in there, and having to run through the bleed sequence again. And that's my fault rather than the brakes being wonky.
  • THE front piston...there are two...so A or the front pistonS?

Not heard of it as an issue and my Juicy5's survived all sorts of abuse!

My LBS say they have to send Avid's back for pistons sticking all the time.
  • AMcK
    AMcK Posts: 79
    I've had a similar problem with my rear Avid elixir, where one piston was stuck fast (and the lever was 'stiff' as a result - when the wheel was on, mind).

In the end, following a mate's advice, I had to clamp the other piston while depressing the lever to free the stuck one.

Freed it a little too much as it turned out, dot fluid everywhere.

:shock: :oops:

Still, I learned how to bleed brakes after that!!
    2011 Black Canyon Nerve XC9.0
  • Thread title should be "Bleeding Avid elixir brakes" - hated mine, now got XT M785's and love 'em