Do you mind if I hitch a tow?

NITR8s
NITR8s Posts: 688
edited August 2012 in Road beginners
On sunday coming to my end of a 30 miles ride, cycling up a long hill I hear a voice behind me saying you dont mind if i hitch a tow. As i am polite, I respond no problem.

Now I dont know if I am paronoid but i suddenly start to worry that i am not cycling fast enough and really pushed it the rest of the hill and for the next 2 to 3 miles, when the rider said thanks for the tow and pulled off into their house.

I know the answer is I should cycle to my pace and if that person thinks i am going too slow they should overtake, but does any one else get paronoid like me about this.

Comments

• amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    I'd not let some random punter sit on my wheel - he could be a sh!te bike handler and just plough into the back of you.
    More problems but still living....
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    amaferanga wrote:
    I'd not let some random punter sit on my wheel - he could be a sh!te bike handler and just plough into the back of you.

I'd not let any vehicle overtake - they might be a sh!te driver and swerve into me ....

You don't really have much choice - it's not your road, if someone else wants to cycle on your wheel then your options are
    1) tell em it's fine and get on with it
    2) ask em to feck off
    3) speed up and hope to drop them
    4) stop and wait for them to feck off
    5) turn round and go the other way

personally I'd be chuffed if someone wanted to draft me - cos it means I must be getting to a speed where I'm worth drafting ... :) Wouldnt want them to do it for any huge distance though - they can put their share of the effort in ...

I've drafted a "random" cyclist before - he overtook me on a short climb and I sprinted up to his wheel - just managed to stay with him for the next couple of miles and then I had to ease off (either that or my heart was going to take a leave of absence!) - he seemed fine with it and he could've dropped me at any point but seemed happy enough to help a fellow rider ...
  • NITR8s
    NITR8s Posts: 688
    Slowbike wrote:
    personally I'd be chuffed if someone wanted to draft me - cos it means I must be getting to a speed where I'm worth drafting ... :) ...

Never thought of that, however with great speed comes great responsibility. I.e, pressure to perform.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Slowbike wrote:
    amaferanga wrote:

I'd not let any vehicle overtake - they might be a sh!te driver and swerve into me ....

You don't really have much choice - it's not your road, if someone else wants to cycle on your wheel then your options are
    2) ask em to feck off

personally I'd be chuffed if someone wanted to draft me - cos it means I must be getting to a speed where I'm worth drafting ... :) Wouldnt want them to do it for any huge distance though - they can put their share of the effort in ...

I've drafted a "random" cyclist before - he overtook me on a short climb and I sprinted up to his wheel - just managed to stay with him for the next couple of miles and then I had to ease off (either that or my heart was going to take a leave of absence!) - he seemed fine with it and he could've dropped me at any point but seemed happy enough to help a fellow rider ...

True, but that little bit of road right behind my wheel is mine. Would you be happy with someone following you as you walk along the pavement with about an inch between their groin and your butt? Of course not.

If someone tries to draft me I make it pretty obvious I'm not having it. Likewise I would never try to draft a random cyclist. What's the point anyway? You don't get anything for going 0.1mph faster for a couple of miles.
    More problems but still living....
  • slowbike
    amaferanga wrote:
    True, but that little bit of road right behind my wheel is mine. Would you be happy with someone following you as you walk along the pavement with about an inch between their groin and your butt? Of course not.
    But walking that close is slightly different to cycling that close ...
    On a solo ride (which most of mine are) having someone come a draft me for a while may give rise to an opportunity to do the same back - plus it can be a bit more social - plus drivers seem to give 2 cyclists more room than 1 !
    amaferanga wrote:
    If someone tries to draft me I make it pretty obvious I'm not having it. Likewise I would never try to draft a random cyclist. What's the point anyway? You don't get anything for going 0.1mph faster for a couple of miles.
    Blimey - you're miserable!! Have you got a slow puncture you can't find? Drafting doesn't have to be 0.1mph faster - (at my level anyway!) it can make quite a difference - plus, if you then turn off onto a quiet road you get a chance for a chat ...
    I bet you're the guy that refuses to acknowledge me - just because I had a rack and bag on the back of my roadie ... ;)
  • Does having someone take a tow slow you down?
  • slowbike
    Does having someone take a tow slow you down?
    Definitely - if you spend your time turning your head to admonish them rather than just getting on with your ride! ;)
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    I don't mind if anyone wants to grab a tow as long as they announce themselves and pull alongside/chat every now and then when conditions permit. Let's face it, it is no more harder work then cycling on one's own and I find the occassional company provides a little lift every now and then. I have had a silent shadow for a few miles which I thought was just downright rude and slightly invasive so I purposely dropped him on the next hill.
  • slowbike
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    I have had a silent shadow for a few miles which I thought was just downright rude
    Had similar toward the end of a sportive - bikes appeared on our tail then 5 minutes later they'd go past at a fast pace that we don't stand a chance of catching a tow off - no word of thanks or hi or anything ...
    but that's what you get with a sportive event - ppl who don't (necessarily) know cycling etiquette ...
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Slowbike wrote:
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    I have had a silent shadow for a few miles which I thought was just downright rude
    Had similar toward the end of a sportive - bikes appeared on our tail then 5 minutes later they'd go past at a fast pace that we don't stand a chance of catching a tow off - no word of thanks or hi or anything ...
    but that's what you get with a sportive event - ppl who don't (necessarily) know cycling etiquette ...

Yepp, anyone who crosses my back wheel either on the inside or outside doesn't get a glare...they get specifically told to stop it. Bad enough trying to avoid potholes and the like without having to worry about getting the back washed out from under you.
  • Phil_D
    Phil_D Posts: 467
    amaferanga wrote:

I think the point was implied in the OP. It's a lot sodding easier to draft than to tow. Maybe he was tired out and needed a lift home.

Good on you for giving him a lift.
  • Surely you owe it to yourself to just drop him?

As you say, cycle to your pace and if he's happy there and you're happy with him there, then fair enough. But if you manage to drop him you'll feel loads better about yourself, and will gloat about it to all, and rightly so.
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Wheelsucking is our rite
  • slowbike
    But if you manage to drop him you'll feel loads better about yourself, and will gloat about it to all, and rightly so.

Of course - and it's so much better that you don't know he's just back from an epic 250mile ride whilst you're on fresh legs having only just warmed up ... ;)
  • Slowbike wrote:
    Of course - and it's so much better that you don't know he's just back from an epic 250mile ride whilst you're on fresh legs having only just warmed up ... ;)

Well surely the story would recant how you were just back from 250 miles, whilst he was clearly fresh out the box!
  • daveyroids
    daveyroids Posts: 223
    I thought it was normal roadie culture and not a big deal.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    he was polite enough to ask and you agreed. yes you should cycle at your own pace but it got you up that hill quickly so now you know you can. seems like a double result to me
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    I don't worry who drafts me, does it really make any odds, have a chat with them, you may learn something or they may learn something from you.

You never know they could turn out to be your next riding buddy or a new club member or you might need their help next time.

It's a big old world and as long as someone announces themselves with something like "Blimey I'm knackered" or "Is it OK if I draft you" then I would never have a problem and would not look to try and drop them, just my opinion!
  • slowbike
    Had similar tonight - just on my way back from a ride - not enough food so feeling knackered - 3 riders popped past me on a little hill. Great - drafted them for a mile then, feeling refreshed, popped past to do a stint on the front - my pace - 2 stuck on and the 3rd trialled a little - but as its my regular route I was happy enough to lead down - even pointed out the dangers ! :) of course - they might ride it more than me - but hey :)

They seemed happy enough to have me join them for the short stretch - if they weren't happy they could've let me go quite easily.
  • as long as you don't mind the occasional trump your'e free to ride behind me if you are tired, bored or both, as velonutter says its a big ol world out there, you never know.........
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    99% of the time it's the rider behind who comes worse off if there's a touching a wheels - says a lot about the experience of the rider in front if they get narked. Provider the rider is courteous and if road conditions permit, then I'm happy to give a tow on the basis that I might want one one-day.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Never had a problem with it myself - its happened many times. Sometimes I'll draft someone but I always say thanks to them for the tow.

Never been hit from behind from any of them - wouldnt even occur to me to think that.
  • cougie wrote:
    Never had a problem with it myself - its happened many times. Sometimes I'll draft someone but I always say thanks to them for the tow.

Never been hit from behind from any of them - wouldnt even occur to me to think that.

Yes its strange how some people always assume the worst, if you are a competent rider then there will be no issues, can only be those who never ride in a group or have limited experience that would think that way
  • hstiles
    hstiles Posts: 414
    Slowbike wrote:
    2) ask em to feck off

6) Turn round after a couple of kms and say "your turn! " It's good form and good practice for group riding.
  • Bobbinogs wrote:
    I don't mind if anyone wants to grab a tow as long as they announce themselves and pull alongside/chat every now and then when conditions permit. Let's face it, it is no more harder work then cycling on one's own and I find the occassional company provides a little lift every now and then. I have had a silent shadow for a few miles which I thought was just downright rude and slightly invasive so I purposely dropped him on the next hill.

+1
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    <little story>

Coastal run a few months ago. On the way back me and my mate came across a cyclist who was barely moving. We pass him "alright mate" and all the pleasantries. I'm riding mates wheel and just happen to hear a gear change that was neither him or me so I look back.

Wobbly guy is sitting 2 inches from my back wheel. 10k passes very quickly and he's still there,still hasn't spoke to us. 15k passes and he then passes me as if I'm not there and rides straight into my mate. By "into" I mean literally :shock: He darted past me diagonally and ended up with very little air between mates bars and his.

He then proceeds to bore us with stories on how he used to race - going by his roadcraft and lack of group riding ability I'd highly doubt that!

<endstory>

Take-away points.

Not my road and he had every right to be on it
    Riders you don't know may be entirely unpredicatable
    Riders you don't know may not posess the experience or sense to not do anything remotely daft
    Can you really trust someone you don't know, to sit inches from your back wheel and not hit you?

Would I mind if someone towed and at least made some form of conversation or did a turn? Not at all. I do mind though, sucking for 15k and endangering us.
  • Raffles
    Raffles Posts: 1,137
    A couple of weeks ago I was out on a solo ride and I became aware of a presence behind me. I looked back and that said rider just looked through me. After a couple of miles he was still there , I turned around and said are you going to look up my ar5e for the rest of this ride or take a turn at the front ? He just grunted and took the next turn off the road we were on. Surly git, just pure bad manners and ignorance. I dont mind sharing sharing drafts with riders i dont know, but that was pure ignorance.
    2012 Cannondale CAAD 8 105