Invisible Helmet...

13»

Comments

• cooldad wrote:
    clickshots wrote:
    Actually there are quite a few road helmets that claim to be cooler than wearing no helmet at all (e.g. Giro Aeon iirc)
    Which sounds like an absolute load of bollocks.

Not necessarily, though it could do with some qualification.

I haven't worn a helmet which has such a claim attached to it but clever design of the vents can actually force the air through at a higher pressure and therefore could prove cooler. However, the parts of the helmet in physical contact with the head will surely always be warmer so the vents would have to lower the overall head temperature to live up to the claims.

Whether they do, I'm in no position to say.

Focus Cayo Expert (road)
    Giant ATX 970 (full susp)
    Trek Alpha 4300 (hardtail)
    Peugeot 525 Comp (road - turbo trainer duties)
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I still say bollocks. With some qualification - I could be wrong. (But I'm never wrong so...)
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    I still say bollocks. With some qualification - I could be wrong. (But I'm never wrong so...)

Well in 1997 research showed that wearing a helmet didn't make you any hotter (http://www.smf.org/docs/media/la_times97_8) and since then technology has moved on a fair bit...

"pressure differentials and Venturi effects make the Air Attack about as cool as having no helmet on at all based on Giro's in-house testing on its instrumented headform (the Aeon, by the way, is supposedly cooler than a bare head)."

http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/tec ... oad-helmet
  • FunBus
    FunBus Posts: 394
    I have now also learnt that this helmet apparently makes quite a loud bang when the gas cannister (or whatever is used) is activated. So, when your mate hilariously bangs you on the back, you get a 400 euro bill for a replacement and, loose your hearing. Where can i buy one?!
  • anj132
    anj132 Posts: 299
    clickshots wrote:
    Well in 1997 research showed that wearing a helmet didn't make you any hotter

I disagree, I pick up at least twice as many chicks wearing a helmet.
  • anj132 wrote:
    clickshots wrote:

really? Hmm I'll try cycling down to KFC for my lunch then.
  • anj132
    anj132 wrote:
    clickshots wrote:

really? Hmm I'll try cycling down to KFC for my lunch then.

dead chicks don't count
  • They do if they're still warm and moist.
  • anj132
    Well I guess if they still taste good.