Hit a rabbit full on!!

♠ChumBucket♠
♠ChumBucket♠ Posts: 388
edited August 2012 in Road beginners
AAAARRRRRGGGGGGGG!!!!!!

Following the bloomin' thing down a country lane, I'm used to this but it's usually hares. Anyhow, they run along for so long until they eventually dive into the hedge/long grass. This one was doing approx 18mph as I was following it, it was darting all over looking for a gap in the verge. It eventually jumped into the verge & just as I reached that point it shot right back out & under my front wheel!! I don't know how I stayed on as the poor thing was going round on the wheel for about 5/6 revolutions, fur all over the place. :cry::cry:

Anyhow, gutted for the rabbit! It's the same with bloody pheasants round here, the roads are full of 'em!

Damage is one spoke which has pulled out of the wheel rim, I can't get it back in so I think I'll pop it into my LBS tomorrow- the wheel could end up all shapes if I mess with it!!
B'TWIN Triban 5A
Ridgeback MX6

Comments

• plus side = evening meals for the week sorted. :D
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    Bugger - not good. I guess its not such a good idea to slipstream a rabbit then hey!! ;)

Is the spoke broken or have you ripped the thread out of the nipple? Should be a simple enough repair anyway - unless its a mavic factory wheel etc.
  • Bugger - not good. I guess its not such a good idea to slipstream a rabbit then hey!! ;)

Is the spoke broken or have you ripped the thread out of the nipple? Should be a simple enough repair anyway - unless its a mavic factory wheel etc.

It's just pulled out of the nipple. Trouble is, I can't get the thread on the spoke end back into the nipple! It's as if it's "just" not quite long enough! :lol: Any advice?
    B'TWIN Triban 5A
    Ridgeback MX6
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
  • Wirral_paul
    I'd start by replacing the spoke nipple anyway - tyre off and lift the rim tape up to give access to the inside. You'll need a screwdriver to push down and turn the nipple to get it started
  • :( I worry about that kind of thing happening where I live. Glad you managed to stay upright!
  • Wirral_paul
    No cute furry animals were harmed in the making of this thread............................. not much anyway! :D
  • I'd start by replacing the spoke nipple anyway - tyre off and lift the rim tape up to give access to the inside. You'll need a screwdriver to push down and turn the nipple to get it started

Thanks Paul

I have already removed tyre/tube/rim tape. Found the nipple & did just what you said above but the spoke is short by approx half a mm!! :twisted:
    B'TWIN Triban 5A
    Ridgeback MX6
  • Wirral_paul
    I'd start by replacing the spoke nipple anyway - tyre off and lift the rim tape up to give access to the inside. You'll need a screwdriver to push down and turn the nipple to get it started

Thanks Paul

I have already removed tyre/tube/rim tape. Found the nipple & did just what you said above but the spoke is short by approx half a mm!! :twisted:

Ah ok - well in that case it is probably going to mean taking tension out of the spokes that the loose one crosses to allow it to reach. Time for a professional then! :cry:
  • I'd start by replacing the spoke nipple anyway - tyre off and lift the rim tape up to give access to the inside. You'll need a screwdriver to push down and turn the nipple to get it started

Thanks Paul

Ah ok - well in that case it is probably going to mean taking tension out of the spokes that the loose one crosses to allow it to reach. Time for a professional then! :cry:

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Loosen the other(s) to lower the rim slightly.
    B'TWIN Triban 5A
    Ridgeback MX6
  • Wirral_paul

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Loosen the other(s) to lower the rim slightly.

Slackening others should allow a more direct line - your wheel isnt radially spoked I assume?

• Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Loosen the other(s) to lower the rim slightly.

Slackening others should allow a more direct line - your wheel isnt radially spoked I assume?[/quote]

Don't know what that means Paul. :oops: It's a mountain bike wheel if that helps?
    B'TWIN Triban 5A
    Ridgeback MX6
  • Wirral_paul
    Radially spoked wheels have spokes that dont cross each other. An MTB wheel is not likely to be like this - so likely that the wheel will need spokes backing off across a sizeable portion of the rim. I wouldnt mess with it unless you have the kit and ability to true the wheel properly
  • Radially spoked wheels have spokes that dont cross each other. An MTB wheel is not likely to be like this - so likely that the wheel will need spokes backing off across a sizeable portion of the rim. I wouldnt mess with it unless you have the kit and ability to true the wheel properly

Ok, thanks buddy, I'll get it to the LBS. :wink:
    B'TWIN Triban 5A
    Ridgeback MX6
  • Took it to LBS today. The spoke had actually snapped off at the top (just the last couple of mm) that's why it wasn't quite long enough. He's going to put a new one in and true it up if required.
    B'TWIN Triban 5A
    Ridgeback MX6
  • essjaydee
    essjaydee Posts: 917
    It's a mountain bike wheel if that helps?

2 Questions;
    1) What the hell were you doing on the road then :x
    2) And what the hell are you doing posting this in the road section, you filthy off roader :shock:

Disclaimer: the above post in meant to be in jest. No liability will be admitted if the OP is offended in any shape or form by this post..filthy muddy off road bunny boiling tw*t
  • essjaydee wrote:
    It's a mountain bike wheel if that helps?

2 Questions;
    1) What the hell were you doing on the road then :x
    2) And what the hell are you doing posting this in the road section, you filthy off roader :shock:

Disclaimer: the above post in meant to be in jest. No liability will be admitted if the OP is offended in any shape or form by this post..filthy muddy off road bunny boiling tw*t

I'm addicted to blowing lycra-clad "pro's" into the weeds!! I go out looking for 'em, I like to feel their inner self-disgust at what just happened to them!! :lol::lol::lol:
    B'TWIN Triban 5A
    Ridgeback MX6
  • adm1
    adm1 Posts: 180
    plus side = evening meals for the week sorted. :D

Are you trying to lose weight? A bunny would only make one decent meal for me, plus a little hors d'oeuvre for the hound.

Mind you, if you are careful, you could make a nice little essential tool pouch out of it too. Room for a multitool, puncture kit and a couple of tyre levers, with a little decorative rabbit foot drawstring top.
  • Secteur
    Secteur Posts: 1,971
    plus side = evening meals for the week sorted. :D

One for the week?

I'm a rabbit a day man, myself.
  • Gizmodo wrote:
    [Any advice?
    Avoid rabbits, pot holes, squirrels and doggers in the future. :D

Or you could try and get hold of a pair of wheels of like this?

victoria-pendleton.jpg