Todays ride

Graeme Jones
Graeme Jones Posts: 361
edited August 2012 in Road beginners
Made up with my performance today I had a go at commuting to work today again after only doing it a few times before and struggling to average more than 15mph on the route.
On the return journey which is slightly hillier than the way in only 272ft of climbing over 12 miles but maintained over 17mph which is a first over any distance for me.
I left the bag at work and went al out keeping a solid pace all the way home sitting around 80% effort rate :mrgreen:

Have a nosey at my strava below. The only segment on the ride I came 6th and a chance of increasing to top 3!

http://app.strava.com/rides/18485554

Comments

• Ringo 68
    Ringo 68 Posts: 441
    Nice one.

Coming 6th on the Spital Dam/Stags segment is a great achievement. I was actually on that road about an hour ago as my parents live there but I know I didn't go that fast.

felt as though I didn't do too bad on Dibbinsdale though.
    Cube Agree GTC Pro
    Boardman Comp
    Carrera Subway Hybrid
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Lovely south wind today
  • I have done the spital dam to stags a few times but never got near top 10 but since I upped the mileage to about 65-70 miles a week including column rd and black horse hill in west kirby and denhall lane burton tackling them regularly, it is like a bump in comparison. I actually think I could shave 10 seconds off as I caught the lights outside spital train station on red.
    Made up with 6th! Hoping to get cycling shoes and clip in pedals soon so that might help!
  • Ringo 68
    I have done the spital dam to stags a few times but never got near top 10 but since I upped the mileage to about 65-70 miles a week including column rd and black horse hill in west kirby and denhall lane burton tackling them regularly, it is like a bump in comparison. I actually think I could shave 10 seconds off as I caught the lights outside spital train station on red.
    Made up with 6th! Hoping to get cycling shoes and clip in pedals soon so that might help!

I have been riding all those hill you mention in the last couple of weeks. I will have to have a look on Strava to see how I compare.
    Cycling shoes/clips will definately help.
    Cube Agree GTC Pro
    Boardman Comp
    Carrera Subway Hybrid
  • When you compare go easy this is my 3 month since starting cycling!
  • Ringo 68
    Don't worry.
    I was riding a lot longer than 3 months before I even contemplated going up some of the hills you are riding. My first time up Denhall this spring took all my willpower to keep going and not get off and walk.
    Cube Agree GTC Pro
    Boardman Comp
    Carrera Subway Hybrid
  • When you compare go easy this is my 3 month since starting cycling!

Good effort... keep it up mate!

You'll find on days with a strong tailwind there a lot of people who move up the KOM leaderboards all at the same time.