Mixing tyres.

plowmar
plowmar Posts: 1,032
edited August 2012 in Road general
Many,many years ago it was possible to buy crossply and radial tyres for cars but it was illegal and dangerous to have one of each on an axle, due to their different constructions.

On a number of posts I have seen comments regarding quality and plus points of various bike tyres from different manufacturers. - good/bad in wet, wear, cornering etc..
Therefore as with the car tyres mentioned above should you only have one type of tyre front and rear or are you putting yourself at risk if you don't?

Logic would dictate that at, or close to, extremes there would be a noticeable difference.

Comments

• Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    Even on cars, it was only dangerous to mix crosslyply/radial on the same axle - so it was ok to put crossply on the front with radial on the rear or visa versa. Not aroblem on a bike as there is only 1 wheel per axle.

Maybe a problem on a tricycle?
  • gmacz
    gmacz Posts: 343
    Black on the front and black on the rear.
    Anything else and the risk is .......
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    gmacz wrote:
    Black on the front and black on the rear.
    Anything else and the risk is .......
    Being arrested by the fashion police? :D
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Continental actually do a road set with different widths on the front to the back. Can't see it being a problem mixing tyres to be honest
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    I ride a pro race 3 and a gp4000 on my training bike and had no issues :P
  • ilm_zero7
    ilm_zero7 Posts: 2,213
    oh my god - aesthetics !!! conti do a 23 front 25 mm set, but they look the same - but michelin front and conti back? well the labels are different for a start. how could you?
    http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=3370a&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=p&f=abcdefghij&z=a.png
    Wiliers: Cento Uno/Superleggera R and Zero 7. Bianchi Infinito CV and Oltre XR2
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    On Monday night after my hilly loop I noticed my back tyre was very different from the front one. Much of the tread had worn away so the casing was showing through :shock: What little rubber was left was coming off in chunks.
    I imagine that would have more of an effect on handling than having different makes front and rear.

(25mm Conti 4 seasons, >3000 miles / 5 years old, so no complaints. Ordered the same again)
  • The oracle Sheldon Brown (RIP) recommends putting the best tyre on the front.
    'fool'
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    Paul 8v wrote:
    Continental actually do a road set with different widths on the front to the back. Can't see it being a problem mixing tyres to be honest

and Mavic do a set that have different compounds front and rear

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/category/components/tyres/road/product/review-mavic-yksion-griplinkpowerlink-tyre-12-46454
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    You only have one wheel on the front and one on the back?
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    ILM Zero7 wrote:
    oh my god - aesthetics !!! conti do a 23 front 25 mm set, but they look the same - but michelin front and conti back? well the labels are different for a start. how could you?

Well my training bike is already red with blue wheels...its basically a heap of shit I built with spare parts... :oops:
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Running different tyres front and back is very common in the MTB world.

I use Schwalbe Hans Dampfs which are sold as a pair, but with different compounds for front and rear. The front is softer for better grip, because the front does all of the steering and most of the braking, and the rear has a harder compound so it rolls slightly quicker and lasts a bit longer.

I imagine the same principles apply on the road, hence the 'put your best tyre on the front' comment above.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • plowmar
    plowmar Posts: 1,032
    Taking your comments there bails87 would that not mean that your rear tyre would let go before the front and create handling problems?. It was this situation that I was wanting an answer to in my original post - although I may well not have been as clear as I could.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    If you have to choose which tyre you'd rather lose grip first, it has to be the rear. It's relatively easy to control a rear wheel slide, but once your front wheel washes out you're eating tarmac pretty much instantly.

Best tyre on the front for me.
  • dw300
    dw300 Posts: 1,642
    plowmar wrote:
    Taking your comments there bails87 would that not mean that your rear tyre would let go before the front and create handling problems?. It was this situation that I was wanting an answer to in my original post - although I may well not have been as clear as I could.

Your assuming your weight distribution is 50/50. During cornering, I assume it more towards the rear. During braking, it biased towards the front.

I'm with keef66, best tyre on the front. You want front grip to turn in confidently, and for an emergency stop/slow down. A front washout and you'll be eating soup for a fortnight.
    All the above is just advice .. you can do whatever the f*ck you wana do!
    Bike Radar Strava Club
    The Northern Ireland Thread
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    plowmar wrote:
    Yes the rear will let go before the front, but that's preferable to the front letting go. The back starts to slide and it tells you where the limit is without hurting you. As said above, if the front slides you probably won't save it.

That's on the MTB though, where a bit of hooliganism/drifting (not skidding) is a good thing. On the road I'd rather have a more 'composed' ride :wink: I'd choose the same tyre front and back if I could for road use, but if I had to have a 'worse' tyre it would definitely be on the back.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."