Ride with Brad on fixie

pamuzu
pamuzu Posts: 89
Hi all,

I ride a Fixed Gear road bike and want to ride the Ride with Brad this Sunday on the 100 km route. Ive never ridden this event. I did the Manc - Blackpool on my fixie and will be riding the Manc 100 miles on it. However they're flat rides.

Anyone who's ridden / looked into this event..will I be able to get around it on fied gear?

Thanks

Phil
Phil

Comments

• You could try it if you dont mind walking a few of the hills. I saw a guy doing a hill on a fixie on a sportive last year - the hill wasnt much but he was struggling and had to zig zag up, but the road was wide and clear - some of the nasty hills on the brad ride are a tad narrow. But if you like a challenge why give it a go.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • DF33
    DF33 Posts: 732
    My friends on Leeds fixed single speed and I (posh grammar) had a wekend in keld recently, they rode Buttertubs pass t'other side, pub stop, and back over the next pass, some zig zagging, no walking, but doeable.

Depends on your cardiovascular, endurance and leg strength obviously.

Are you hard enough? :lol:
    Peter
  • pamuzu
    pamuzu Posts: 89
    Ha ha

Great responses cheers and Peter - youve laid down the challenge!

Ill report back Sunday pm - hopefully!!!

Cheers
    Phil
  • Mark Elvin
    Mark Elvin Posts: 997
    I did a 70 mile around the New Forest last year at an average of 15mph on a full on track bike, it wasn't easy, but I did it.
    2012 Cannondale Synapse
  • dwanes
    dwanes Posts: 954
    You must either be very strong or mad or like walking to attempt it. Mind you it depends on what your fixed gear is?

I live and ride in the area, the first section (1/4) until Waddington you will be ok, but after that it gets very hilly, both long and steep, its one of the hilliest parts of the area, thats why Wiggins chose the area, nothing like the Manc-Blackpool.
  • As this is the same route as the pendle pedal (and its various other names) has taken for the last four or five years i don't think Wiggo actually "chose" anything!
  • dwanes
    dwanes Posts: 954
    Yes, but as his foundations first sportive he could have chosen anywhere in the country! Do you think he would prefer a hilly sportive like this or a flat ride in Norfolk. No coincidence is it!
  • davelakers
    davelakers Posts: 762
    I'd like to wager that there is no way that you will get up Longridge Fell, via Forty Acre Lane, then Black Hill (1:4) then Newchurch on a fixie. Good luck, but you must be mad/stupid to attempt it!!
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    Indeed, those hills won't be much fun on a fixie - hope you have low gearing! And if not, I hope your shoes are ok to walk in!
  • davelakers
    davelakers Posts: 762
    As this is the same route as the pendle pedal (and its various other names) has taken for the last four or five years i don't think Wiggo actually "chose" anything!

And he does ride these roads regularly.
  • If you managed this route on a fixie your are indeed a cycling God