Moelfre practice run at Welsh Champs

Muttly1981
Muttly1981 Posts: 815
edited December 2012 in Your pics and vids
A practice run from the Welsh Champs at Moelfre this weekend, wish i'd have known the camera was pointing down as much as it was but you still get an idea of speed shame it doesn't show just how rough the place is
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rawml0dN ... ure=colike
What if your dreams and fears existed in the same place? What if to get to heaven, you had to brave hell? What if everything you've ever wanted cost you everything you've ever achieved? Would you still go there?

Comments

• ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Nice, think i saw you there. Yeah the camera does need to be pointing up a fair bit more. Here's mine if you fancy a watch.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Majski
    Majski Posts: 443
    ilovedirt wrote:
    Nice, think i saw you there. Yeah the camera does need to be pointing up a fair bit more. Here's mine if you fancy a watch.

Buy your mate a bigger T Shirt for his birthday!
  • ilovedirt
    :lol:
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    looks like quite a nice track, i reckon i could have a blast on that :D

one question though, i noticed on a few of the bermed switchback sections you were cutting the corners, was this just on the practice runs? cos surely you'd keep more speed flying around the berm itself? :?
  • ilovedirt
    Some of the corners were pretty blown out, and the steep one about near the middle I think just flowed better if you took the inside line (until it pissed it down)
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • welshkev
    ilovedirt wrote:
    Some of the corners were pretty blown out, and the steep one about near the middle I think just flowed better if you took the inside line (until it pissed it down)

fair enough :D
  • Muttly1981
    Muttly1981 Posts: 815
    welshkev wrote:

one question though, i noticed on a few of the bermed switchback sections you were cutting the corners, was this just on the practice runs? cos surely you'd keep more speed flying around the berm itself? :?

As iLoveDirt says the berms are pretty blown out with some pretty big holes + berms are there to catch people at pro speed (remember its a national track) so most riders don't ride fast enough to really need them :? Moelfre is a strange track infact i'd say it's one of a kind, it's easy but at the same time it's a killer because of it's length and brake bumps the whole length. You can ride it on any bike but at full tilt it's a bugger of a track although i can't wait to race there again in October at English Champs. Got some mates who'll be organising a few uplift days before christmas if you fancy a trip over???

Got another video of my only practice run on the sunday morning in some of the worst conditions i've ridden in with a great crash about half way down
    What if your dreams and fears existed in the same place? What if to get to heaven, you had to brave hell? What if everything you've ever wanted cost you everything you've ever achieved? Would you still go there?
  • ilovedirt
    Lol, I was going to get a video on the sunday morning but I didn't bother because I don't think you'd have been able to see anything!!

TBH, I don't think it's too bad a track, reasonably short as downhill (race) tracks go, not really technical and the only rough bits are the braking bumps near the top really. Having raced Rheola before and not even being able to use my hands to take my gloves off after a run due to the arm pump, I'd say Moelfre is pretty alright given that I was just a bit out of breath at the end! Particularly when you think that the pros are coming down in about 2:20 at Moelfre, Rheola is about another minute longer, and then you have Fort Bill that's twice the length and a lot rougher and more technical! That's not to say that it's not an enjoyable track though, I love moelfre.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • welshkev
    just out of interest, why do they have the english champs in wales?
  • ilovedirt
    I literally have no idea, and neither does anyone else (including the organisers) by the sounds of it. Though I don't think there is an english champs this year by the looks of it, however it was at Moelfre last year...

National champs were at Moelfre this year though. I think they have a lot of races there because it's a really good track for spectating with a nice big finish field and a decent uplift (sometimes).
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • welshkev wrote:
    just out of interest, why do they have the english champs in wales?

"Cough" It's in England "Cough" Well not quite it's about 500 yards over the border :lol:
  • Here's a slightly better angle of the same track from Sundays cheeky practice day before English Champs this weekend :-) http://contour.com/videos/watch/moelfre-7th-run-81012
  • ilovedirt
    You racing english champs as well? I'll be there as well, look out for a very grey sunday ;)
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • ilovedirt wrote:
    You racing english champs as well? I'll be there as well, look out for a very grey sunday ;)

Really should get online more, yeah i raced champs i was on the CRC weekend getting tips from the Nukeproof guys :D Practice went well and was getting down in decent times with Pagey following me down and helping out with line choices then going up for my first race run my shifter got smashed on the uplift so had to race single speed :cry: doing a run at Moelfre in first is a pain but still managed a 3.22 and a 3.23 in the rain, looking at the times i'm pretty i'd have been top 15 in masters with gears.
  • ilovedirt
    Ah fair play. Think I might have seen you a couple of times. I managed a 3:11 first run and 3:26 second run after that rain... Pretty annoyed as I kind of cruised down for my first run pretty much relying on the weather holding out for the second... Oh well!
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • welshkev
    Muttly1981 wrote:
    welshkev wrote:

As iLoveDirt says the berms are pretty blown out with some pretty big holes + berms are there to catch people at pro speed (remember its a national track) so most riders don't ride fast enough to really need them :? Moelfre is a strange track infact i'd say it's one of a kind, it's easy but at the same time it's a killer because of it's length and brake bumps the whole length. You can ride it on any bike but at full tilt it's a bugger of a track although i can't wait to race there again in October at English Champs. Got some mates who'll be organising a few uplift days before christmas if you fancy a trip over???

Is there uplifts there very often?
  • ilovedirt
    People tend to organise them occasionally, but they're not really advertised, more of a case of knowing the right person. Alternatively you can contact Farmer Jac and organise one yourself. Think he charges £250-£300 per trailer per day, or something like that.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • ilovedirt wrote:
    People tend to organise them occasionally, but they're not really advertised, more of a case of knowing the right person. Alternatively you can contact Farmer Jac and organise one yourself. Think he charges £250-£300 per trailer per day, or something like that.

Yeah it's £300 per trailer but you can fit 20 bikes on a trailer so works out pretty cheap really