How my apartment block is fulfilling the Olympic legacy...

PBo
PBo Posts: 2,493
edited August 2012 in Commuting chat
Two days after the flame is extinguished and all apartments get a letter.

paraphrased:

"there is no cycle parking facilities provided, don't leave them parked against walls as they are unsightly and spoil the enjoyment of the communal gardens....keep them in your flats."

We keep them down the side of the flats, where one cuts through to the main gardens, so it's not spoiling the "proper" gardens. It's about 4 metres wide, so our bikes in no way block access. It's only a two bed flat, on the first floor, and even if I got rid of my spare bike, there'd still be 2 adult and one kids bike, which can't feasibly be kept inside. Bedside, we are on the first floor, and my wife's got a "pashley-a-like" steel framed heavy town bike which she couldn't carry up even if she wanted!!! ( we do have a car park with 1.5 spaces per flat though...!!!!)

So good luck with all that inspiring a generation Lord Coe - they might be inspired for as long as it takes them to realise that we live in a country of NIMBY Daily Mail reading fucktards.....

Comments

• twist83
    twist83 Posts: 761
    Lovely letter I would suggest getting as many of you together to draft a response to that.
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Ask them to supply a "sightly" bike store down the side passage, get as many of the other flats to request the same.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • What does your lease (or whatever else youve signed up to) say about parking bikes?
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • alan_sherman
    alan_sherman Posts: 1,157
    You leave 5 bikes in the communal area when you have a parking space?
  • chilling
    chilling Posts: 267
    Install a number of Sheffield stands in your parking space and rent your neighbours parking space.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    PBo wrote:

So good luck with all that inspiring a generation Lord Coe - they might be inspired for as long as it takes them to realise that we live in a country of NIMBY Daily Mail reading fucktards.....

:lol:

I feel your pain though. 5 bikes in a 2 bed flat at the mo. Sheffield stands in the underground car park, but despite being covered by CCTV and accessed only with coded fobs/remote, stuff gets stolen so I don't dare store bikes there. Even had Ultegra brakes stolen off a bike down there once.
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Just had a similar letter from our building management company threatening to remove bikes stored in communal areas as they are a fire hazard.
    Mine have been stored in the same place since 1994 when we moved in.
    They don't block access to anywhere and no-one will trip over them.
    Really don't want to store them in the flat so I'm thinking of putting a bike shed on one of my two parking spaces