Newbie shifter advice

bobabob
bobabob Posts: 5
edited August 2012 in Road beginners
Hi
I'm new to road riding and know nothing on the subject. What I do know though is I don't like the shifters on my Allez 16 which I believe are Shimano 2300.I'd prefer to have the paddles of the more expensive ranges. Can I replace them with a tiagra or ultrega set. If so, how easy is this?
Thanks for any help

Comments

• lucasf09
    lucasf09 Posts: 160
    Yes but it will be costly.
    To start off with you need the shifters as you mention, which depending on spec can cost around £200-250 (for Ultegras).
    You will then need:
    -10 speed cassette (9 speed depending on which Tiagra shifter you get if you go that route), that will be £20-40
    -10 speed chain (again maybe 9 speed) £10-30
    You might also need a new back dérailleur (front should be OK)

Then there is fitting at the LBS, though I suggest you do it yourself, not too difficult, and you will get to know the bike well, and know how to fix problems as they come along. If you can fit a groupset, you can adjust it when the gears go out of line! For how to guides, Google is your friend, otherwise I recommend the Parks Big Blue Book, very comprehensive and easy to understand.

It will be a worthwhile upgrade, the old Sora/2300 shifters are a pain (been there done that), and 105s feel sooooo much better. If I were you I would go for 105 groupy (maybe 2012 onwards Tiagra), Ultegra I hear is a nice groupset, but minimal gains on 105 for a lot of difference in price. Also 105 fits nicely in between the two groups you suggested

Whatever you decide, hope it goes well, and that you enjoy the new groupset if you get one!
  • bobabob
    bobabob Posts: 5
    Thanks for that. Will a 10 speed fit on the existing hub?