Cycling Movie

DeadCalm
DeadCalm Posts: 4,243
edited August 2012 in Pro race
"The Domestique, an action/drama about a veteran pro cyclist who fights his way back onto a struggling team in the Tour de France after he has been banned for doping." Hmmm...

http://www.screendaily.com/news/asia-pa ... tentID=278

Apart from Breaking Away and American Flyers are there any other fictional films based on pro-cycling?

Comments

• FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    "Le vélo de Ghislain Lambert" - great fun
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    FJS wrote:

Yes.
  • DeadCalm
    18 quid for the DVD on Amazon. I'll need to get a job first.
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    You should get a job too.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • DeadCalm
    antfly wrote:
    I'm trying. Believe me, I'm trying.
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    DeadCalm wrote:
    antfly wrote:
    I'm trying. Believe me, I'm trying.
    I meant chasey, look at his number of posts !
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • DeadCalm
    FJS wrote:
    Watched it last night. It is indeed great fun. Very cool retro gear too. I want an Expedex jersey.
  • MrTapir
    MrTapir Posts: 1,206
    Belleville Rendesvous is a very beautiful animated French film that is worth a watch.
  • DeadCalm
    MrTapir wrote:
    Belleville Rendesvous is a very beautiful animated French film that is worth a watch.
    Thanks. I'll keep an eye out for it.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Has anyone seen "Allez, Eddy" yet?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2RwzaoaOg8
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    There's a film about Hugo Koblet that I'd like to see, but as far as I can tell it hasn't been released on DVD.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-zZ3vmLtQ4
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,454
    FJS wrote:

I went to see this with a friend at a cycling film event, and was told in advance that it was a documentary, which made it even funnier as my friend was insisting, ten minutes in, that it definitely was.
  • DeadCalm
    andyp wrote:
    FJS wrote:

I went to see this with a friend at a cycling film event, and was told in advance that it was a documentary, which made it even funnier as my friend was insisting, ten minutes in, that it definitely was.
    I have no idea who wrote the script and what connection that person may or may not have to cycling / cyclists but I had the feeling that a lot of it was based on things that actually happened to someone. I mean who could have made up that bit about paying 30,000 francs for the performance enhancing radishes.
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    DeadCalm wrote:
    FJS wrote:
    Watched it last night. It is indeed great fun. Very cool retro gear too. I want an Expedex jersey.
    Not the Magicreme one then?
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    FJS wrote:
    DeadCalm wrote:
    FJS wrote:

I was in the Cycles Macarini shop outside Lorient a week ago and they had the Magicreme jersey

imageZone.php?img=MANCHES_COURTES__4ba4977498c41.jpg&width=208&height=208
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • DeadCalm
    FJS wrote:
    DeadCalm wrote:
    FJS wrote:
    I'd have them both if I could.
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    Probably not what you had in mind but this was voted best film at the International Cycling Film Festival last year, so got awarded the “Golden Crank”:

http://vimeo.com/16828837

I think all the entries at the festival are short films, many documentaries.
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    Years ago there was a full-length film made, based on a short story (El Ciclista del San Cristobal) by now-well-known Chilean author Antonio Skarmeta. The director was German but I think all the actors/actresses were Spanish or South American, so the dialogue may have been Spanish.

The resume of the short story is roughly as below, so I suppose the film has roughly the same storyline, perhaps with a couple of embellishments to make the film less heavy (Skarmeta was one of the Chilean exiles in Europe during the Pinochet regime, thus why the political regime aspect in the story):

The Chilean cyclist Santiago wants to win the Tour of Chile in order to use the prize money for the care of his sick mother. But he finds it isn’t just a matter of being fastest because he’s confronted with corruption in sport and sponsorship, further complicated by a political regime which want to make use of the Tour for their own propoganda. To a degree he plays the game, with resultant feelings of devaluing himself. And when he comes close to winning the Tour, which those in the background wanted to happen, so they could make use of him, he let’s himself be defeated. Thereby he saves the honour of his brother (arrested and murdered by the regime) and of his mother, and wins back the fading friendship of his old team mates.

Also years ago, I remember Dustin Hoffman being at the TdF, in order to gain insight for a film he was going to be in. I think he was going to act a rider in the Tour.
    Fortunately it never came off. :D