Cycle Computers - Recommendations?

Dellsinho
Dellsinho Posts: 100
edited August 2012 in Commuting chat
Afternoon all

I'm in the market for a reliable wireless cycle computer, nothing flashy (I'll always use Strava for GPS etc), but also not something that'll rattle apart after one ride.

Features I'm after:
ave speed
current speed
trip distance
trip time
moving time
overall distance
current time/date etc

Not really bothered about HR or cadence, unless someone can tell me what I'd be missing out on..!

Would be grateful for any recommendations of models or brands that people have experience with and that I should be looking at.

Only looking to spend upto £35, but think that should be a high enough budget to cover the things I'm after?

Thanks all.
Canyon Roadlite
Boardman Hybrid
Dolan FXE

Comments

• mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    doesnt strava tell you how fast you are doing?
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    I remember picking up a cateye computer years ago that did exactly that for around £20-£30.

Was wireless too.
  • Dellsinho
    mudcow007 wrote:
    doesnt strava tell you how fast you are doing?

Yeah, it does all those things I listed I think, but that doesn't help when it's in the back of my rucksack while I'm on the road :P :lol:
    Canyon Roadlite
    Boardman Hybrid
    Dolan FXE
  • memsley89
    memsley89 Posts: 247
    Put a 'wanted ad' in the classifieds...
    I picked up my cateye (strada wireless) from here for ~£15 that does all the above!
  • I remember picking up a cateye computer years ago that did exactly that for around £20-£30.

Was wireless too.

Cateye Velo Wireless? I've put about 200 miles on the one that I fitted earlier this year and its yet to miss a beat, I've also dropped it and it's fine. It's the cheapest and simplest wireless Cateye computer and has all those features. The only functions that it lacks that might be useful are a backlight and manual start-stop (i.e., it only has auto start-stop which stops recording when you come to a halt, hence giving you only a moving average). I think (and I stress "think) that you get these features if you shell out more for the Strada Wireless.

Edit: as a result of having only auto start-stop, it doesn't have trip time (only moving time). I solve this by remembering when I set out and when I arrive and doing some fiendishly difficult maths :)

Edit #2: it doesn't have date either. Buy a calendar for goodness' sake!
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    Another vote for Cateye - I've had a couple over the years (mtb and road) and they've always worked well.

For the money you want to spend, you should get everything you want except (possibly) trip time/moving time split and date.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Cataeye strada
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    I've two Cateye Micro Wirelesses. They're great. The only time is plays up is when the batteries start to go on the front lights in flashing mode. (They're set up very close to one another.)
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    +1 for a Cateye wireless. However, if you're using a phone for Strava I'd recommend looking at a GPS computer, especially if you're contemplating longer rides. Knackering out your phone battery 1/2 way through a long ride and then trying to phone for help is not good, m'kay?
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • Dellsinho
    Thanks to everyone for your recommendations, Cateye seems to be the resounding computer of choice.

That's a fair point you make about phone battery Rob. What kind of price bracket am I looking at IF I were to stretch to GPS?
    Canyon Roadlite
    Boardman Hybrid
    Dolan FXE
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    Another CatEye wireless user checking in; one drawback I've experienced is that powerful LED front lamps (DX MagicShine clone & Phililps RideSafe) tend to block reception from the sender unit.
  • Dellsinho wrote:
    That's a fair point you make about phone battery Rob. What kind of price bracket am I looking at IF I were to stretch to GPS?

If you want a cheap GPS:

https://www.bike24.net/1.php?lang=2;con ... 864a7e4a11

I have one, and it is great. About £50 delivered.

The main benefit of having the GPS on your bike is that you have the option to start a Strava recording very easily if you happen to think the planets are aligning. Much easier than stopping, digging out your phone and starting Strava.

*Edit* - Link replaced to English version.