Comfort on longer distances

Calpol
Calpol Posts: 1,039
edited August 2012 in Road beginners
I have been riding for about a year, not so much over the winter but reasonably regular since the spring. I probably average about 60-70 miles a week due to the time constraints work and family bring but I am very much enjoying it. I have signed up to do a 240 mile jaunt around Norfolk in September, probably over 3 days. This will be the furthest I have ever ridden so I am trying to get some more miles in my legs as that time approaches. I missed 3 weeks or so last month due to a broken arm but am now back on it. My longest rides are around 50 miles around the small ups and downs in Bedfordshire. My pace is around 15.5/16mph on that length of ride.

Where i seem to be struggling a bit is time in the saddle and comfort. I would say that up to 2 hours I can manage reasonably well but then my pace seems to fall off a bit and I have to grind out the last 10-15 miles. I think this is more due to increased shifting about to get comfortable rather than fatigue. I have tinkered with saddles and am currently trying a Romin / dhb shorts combination. My concern is that 3 days * 80 miles is going to be a bit of a struggle so I am on the verge of splashing out some daft money on some assos shorts in an attempt to boost my endurance. Any thoughts from the forum would be appreciated.

Comments

• danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    Calpol wrote:
    I would say that up to 2 hours I can manage reasonably well but then my pace seems to fall off a bit and I have to grind out the last 10-15 miles. I think this is more due to increased shifting about to get comfortable rather than fatigue.

I'd argue it's fatigue making you uncomfortable, rather than the other round..........
  • EarlyGo
    EarlyGo Posts: 281
    High quality shorts with a quality pad will help but I suspect (like danowat) that you need to get the miles in and improve fitness levels. A top tip though is to try and spend a bit more time out of the saddle (ie stand up when going uphill) as this allows the blood to fully circulate everywhere and will relieve some of the discomfort you're feeling. It also helps fatigued muscles as you engage different muscles to pedal when you stand up. Good luck with your 240 miler.

Regards, EarlyGo
  • Assos bibs and some good bottom butter will deffo help.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    If you are struggling with comfort on rides of just 50 miles, I'd suggest you have something amiss with your bike setup than just 'wrong' shorts 'wrong' saddle.
    Get it looked at.
  • Bordersroadie
    Bordersroadie Posts: 1,052
    I did exactly the same as you, I considered spending £145 on Assos bibshorts, and ummed and arrred for a good while.

I've never regretted it. Assos F1 Mille bibs have made a massive difference, twinned with Assos chamois cream, lots of it. And a good fitting saddle, in my case a Toupe 143mm. Noticeably more comfy from the off and especially after a few hours.

I can ride for 8 hours now without rear end discomfort, not something I could have done previously.

I'm sure other brands would do the same but I decided what the hell, let's go for the Rolls Royce brand and I have no regrets at all.
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    I tried several saddles before finding one I was comfortable with, unfortunately its just one of those things you don't know if your comfortable until you've spent a few long rides on it. I currently have a Selle Italia Prolink (half price at Planet X) and find this very comfortable, did my first 100 mile Sportive a few weeks ago, would have been unimaginable a little while ago - not because of my fitness but because my a*rse would have been crippled after 3 or 4 hours on my previous saddles.
  • Calpol
    Calpol Posts: 1,039
    JGSI wrote:
    If you are struggling with comfort on rides of just 50 miles, I'd suggest you have something amiss with your bike setup than just 'wrong' shorts 'wrong' saddle.
    Get it looked at.
    Bike fit is good. had it done at Phil Corley's when I bought the bike earlier this year. Thinking about it I probably need to do a few more 30+ as I tend to be squeezing in 2/3 rides a week at 17 miles or some hill repeats with a longer one at the weekend. Finding 3 hour time slots is the hard bit especially with the nights drawing in! Might try out my Charge Spoon of the MTB and see if that is any better. I suspect another pair of bibs will be in order Etxeondo dicolors or Assos uno seem to be the most liked.