Want to buy a shorter chainset but,

s1mon
s1mon Posts: 618
edited August 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi

I have a 175mm xt double (38/26) and a (11/36) cassette. I'd like to put 170mm cranks on would 40/28 chainset be better ? Would I notice much difference ?

Thanks.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Why?
    You are very unlikely to notice any difference with the crank length.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134
    Its 0.5cm, so no.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    s1mon wrote:
    Hi

I have a 175mm xt double (38/26) and a (11/36) cassette. I'd like to put 170mm cranks on would 40/28 chainset be better ? Would I notice much difference ?

Thanks.
    what are you trying to achive?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • s1mon
    Only that I wish I put a 170mm on when I built it up as that's what normally comes on small bikes well most that I've had, and 26/36 combo is too easy and 38/28 isn't that hard especially when on tarmac.

Main thing is would I notice much going to a 40/28 ?

Thanks.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I have 170mm on one bike & 175mm on the other. I can't tell the difference
  • nicklouse
    s1mon wrote:
    Only that I wish I put a 170mm on when I built it up as that's what normally comes on small bikes well most that I've had, and 26/36 combo is too easy and 38/28 isn't that hard especially when on tarmac.

Thanks.
    how small is the rider?
    what length arms does the ridr normally use?
    will the bike be used off road?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • s1mon
    nicklouse wrote:
    s1mon wrote:

Thanks.
    how small is the rider? 5'5"
    what length arms does the ridr normally use? 170mm
    will the bike be used off road? Yes
  • nicklouse
    i would go for the 170mm and 38-28.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    I'm still not sure what you're after, with a 36t ring, and an 11t sprocket, you can reach 20mph at a reasonable 80rpm (or thereabouts) cadence.
    Maybe a mountain bike isn;t what you need.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Just change the rings, I wouldn't bother forking out for shorter cranks unless your changing them anyway!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    Just change the rings, I wouldn't bother forking out for shorter cranks unless your changing them anyway!

This.

Then sell me your old rings.