Rockrider 8.1 or 2009 GT Avalanche Expert?

amigomatt
amigomatt Posts: 53
edited August 2012 in MTB buying advice
I'm narrowing down my options for my 1st bike. I've read all the rave reviews and opinions of the Decathlon Rockrider 8.1, but I've seen this great deal on a 2009 GT Avalanche Expert, which looks great to my amateur senses. Which would you go for, bearing in mind I want a good all round bike for both on and off road use, with the option to try more adventurous stuff as time goes by?

2011 Decathlon Rockrider 8.1 (£500) - http://www.decathlon.co.uk/81-2011-id_8168695.html
2009 GT Avalanche Expert (£560) - http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/products.p ... 1b1s2p2231

I also saw came across this beauty whilst doing my research, which I love the look and spec of, but thought I may not really notice the difference compared to the price hike?

Grand Canyon AL 6.0 (£760) - http://www.canyon.com/_uk/mountainbikes ... tml?b=2539

Any advice would be much appreciated, thanks!
Canyon Nerve AL 7.0

Comments

• mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    I've just put a Reba on my hardtail and it has transformed it, plus I've also just bought a Canyon, so I'd definitely say the Canyon. It will cost you £40 or so more in the delivery costs though.

The GT looks OK, but I don't get on with the Avid Juicy 3 brakes.
  • If you can afford it then buy the Canyon. Your life will be complete. Flowers will bloom in your track marks and small rodents will flock from the hedgerows to befriend you. Blind children shall see again, the lame will walk, the second coming shall be announced and you, on your Canyon, shall be the new Messiah.
  • If you can afford it then buy the Canyon. Your life will be complete. Flowers will bloom in your track marks and small rodents will flock from the hedgerows to befriend you. Blind children shall see again, the lame will walk, the second coming shall be announced and you, on your Canyon, shall be the new Messiah.

Penguin!! I heard a lush soundtrack in my head accompanying your poetic persuasions just then! I'm 99% sold now! The thing is, I do have the money to stretch to this bike at the moment, but just don't want to feel like I'm wasting it on my amateur skills, having not ridden since my teens.. Although, ever since I saw that Canyon bike, my heart has been set.....lalalaaaa.....dadadaaaa......and back to my transfigured musing.....
    mcnultycop wrote:
    I've just put a Reba on my hardtail and it has transformed it, plus I've also just bought a Canyon, so I'd definitely say the Canyon. It will cost you £40 or so more in the delivery costs though.

The GT looks OK, but I don't get on with the Avid Juicy 3 brakes.

Thanks for your input, mcnultycop, you're also hedging me towards this thing too! :)
    Canyon Nerve AL 7.0
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    But you are now up from £500 to £800 which opens up a whole new world.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    But you are now up from £500 to £800 which opens up a whole new world.

I realise that. In your learned opinion, would I be doing myself a favour getting the Canyon? From the scant-ish research I've found, it's definitely a class-leader also... What bikes would you be looking at up in that range?
    Canyon Nerve AL 7.0