Brakes

SouthernDave
SouthernDave Posts: 33
edited August 2012 in The workshop
Having swapped my tyres over, I am having real difficulty setting my brakes back up. I have Dawes Diamond folder with canitiliver brakes. I cannot seem to get them set so they don't rub and it is driving me mental with annoyance. I have tried in vain to find a SIMPLE guide online that makes sense. Can anyone point me to or provide a REAL simple set-by-step guide on how to set these brakes up from scratch?

Comments

• CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Best way is to leave the clamping nuts loose and hold the blocks in place with one hand making sure they're nicely lined up, then pull the brake lever on to clamp them in place, the nip them up with an Allen key whilst keeping the lever squeezed tight enough. Bob's yer uncle. Easy.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    CiB wrote:
    Best way is to leave the clamping nuts loose and hold the blocks in place with one hand making sure they're nicely lined up, then pull the brake lever on to clamp them in place, the nip them up with an Allen key whilst keeping the lever squeezed tight enough. Bob's yer uncle. Easy.

This only works if the brakes use V-brake-style threaded rods, but the OP sounds like he/she's got the old-fashioned clamped rods.

They're a nightmare, basically. Sorry OP, but the best advice I can give is to upgrade your brakes ASAP to something more user friendly!
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}