GPS bike computer recommendations

sketchley
sketchley Posts: 4,238
edited August 2012 in Commuting chat
My Garmin 305 just met an untimely end. I could get a refurb from Garmin.

A new improved model might be nice.

I have a hrm strap, so anther Garmin it would work with might be good.

I would quite like a cadence sensor, I don't know why I would just that it would give me more number to look at.

Maps might nice but not essential.

More storage for navigation points and ride data would be good.

Oh and something that clips on better and doesn't come flying off the handle bars and t the deck breaking the screen....

Any suggestions / recommendations.....
--
Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5

Comments

• get a used 500, 705 or 800 if you dont want to buy new... though the 500/800 have better/more reliable mounting than the 700 series. Examples:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Garmin-Edge-5 ... 0935122591

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Garmin-Edge-5 ... 1081649494

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Garmin-Edge-7 ... 0935286587

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/garmin-edge-8 ... 1129519000
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • sketchley
    What about a 605? Ribble still have them in stock...
    --
    Chris

• sketchley
    --
    Chris

• Yes, but has the same mount as the 305, not the better one of the 200/500/800 series. My boss bought his 705 second hand off eBay, got it 'as new' in original packaging for about 2/3 list. The 500/800 are better devices IMHO but his has had several training camps in Majorca and is off to France in September, so he's happy with it.
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • sketchley
    So looks like I'll be wanting a 500 or 800 then. Is the 800 worth the cash is the big question.....

Will the hrm strap from the 305 work with either of them?
    --
    Chris

• sketchley
    --
    Chris

• sketchley
    Sketchley wrote:

Very tempted by this, will I be able to get data onto strava though..... Can I add other (europe) osm maps...... Trip to sigma tomorrow, day off.....
    --
    Chris

• redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Sketchley wrote:
    Is the 800 worth the cash is the big question

Yes
    Sketchley wrote:
    Will the hrm strap from the 305 work with either of them?

Yes
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Sketchley wrote:

Haha! Love the "surprise me" feature!
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • sketchley
    just went to take a look at one. It is qusite big compared to Garming 800. 20% off at Halfords means £248 for UK maps and harm and cadence sensors. very very tempted....
    --
    Chris

• mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    ive got a basic Holux GPSort 245 (now superseded with the 260)

which does tracking etc

points towards key points an has so far (touches wood *giggles) never let me down

its not as snazzy as a Garmin though
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • mudcow007 wrote:

which does tracking etc

points towards key points an has so far (touches wood *giggles) never let me down

I had one of those. Please avoid riding in the rain. I now have O-Synce Navi2Move, which is superior in every way to the Holux, and cheaper too. Again it's not as snazzy as a Garmin, but I can do way-points with turn indication, it looks far more waterproof and it picks up all the Strava segments on my commute (which again, the Holux couldn't).

No HRM, cadence or power-meter connectivity, though. Not that I feel the need for any of those.
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    mudcow007 wrote:

which does tracking etc

I had one of those. Please avoid riding in the rain. I now have O-Synce Navi2Move, which is superior in every way to the Holux, and cheaper too. Again it's not as snazzy as a Garmin, but I can do way-points with turn indication, it looks far more waterproof and it picks up all the Strava segments on my commute (which again, the Holux couldn't).

No HRM, cadence or power-meter connectivity, though. Not that I feel the need for any of those.

ive been in some crazy heavy rain but as far as i know it hasnt leaked

the usb port cover thing is a bit flimsy though, i smeared mine with vaseline for a bit of extra protection
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • mudcow007 wrote:
    mudcow007 wrote:

which does tracking etc

ive been in some crazy heavy rain but as far as i know it hasnt leaked

the usb port cover thing is a bit flimsy though, i smeared mine with vaseline for a bit of extra protection

Mine fogged up, then the screen faded until the whole unit died. It's gone for a trip to Taiwan, and if and when they give it back, it'll go straight onto eBay. Not the best by a long shot - only survived one month of a Scottish summer.
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Just buy the 800. The single best bike related purchase I've ever made. Or if you don't want on-screen routes, buy the 500.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • Wrath Rob wrote:
    Just buy the 800. The single best bike related purchase I've ever made. Or if you don't want on-screen routes, buy the 500.

I think I would agree. If you're even considering paying that much, go with the Garmin. I just dislike Garmin after I saw how much they wanted to keep my car GPS up to date each year - and heaven forbid you may wish to use it abroad...
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    I'm kinda interested in this thread because I've used a Garmin Forerunner 305 for the last 5 years - uses HRM and cadence (even power if you have it) - 10 hour battery life and under £100. The only advantage SOME of the bike-specific GPS units have is barometric altitude - and, of course, navigation on the 800 - neither of which justify the extra expense for me.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • velohutts
    velohutts Posts: 288
    +1 on the forerunner , had it recommended , bought it , bit of padding on both bike handlebars , does up like a watch so takes seconds to change over.
    Gives all the basic data , can chop and change the display to what you want , waterproof so far , still have the ability to read a map and write out a quick route card if required.
    downloads onto garminconnect and strava.
    although if someone bought me an 800/500 I would happily use it daily !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Enigma Esprit Di2 - Go tI ! Summer !
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Wrath Rob wrote:

This! When I need it, its invaluable. Get one without all the extra and stick on the open source maps. Be about 270 that way. Oh and get a screen cover.