Newbie needs some kit.

DipLloyd
DipLloyd Posts: 23
edited August 2012 in Road beginners
Hi all, I'm completely new to the world of cycling but have wanted to start for years. Bought a restored 80's Raleigh racing bike with the old-type gearing for £80. Went for a ride earlier (only 15k :oops: ) and absolutely loved it!

I had no clue I could go so quick on a bike :o .

I'm finding it hard to find a helmet (being totally new to it all) for ~ £40. But at the moment it's a MET Forte or Lazer neon, the latter of which fits great but looks awful IMO.

Also, I need to get the usual maintenance kit, but where do I draw the line without ending up with my own workshop?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

Comments

• stoneb09
    stoneb09 Posts: 98
    have a look at these helmets:

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/spe ... t-ec019730

Just bought one for a spare and it is very comfortable!!
  • DipLloyd
    DipLloyd Posts: 23
    Thanks for that link.

Any advice on tools I'll need?
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    DipLloyd wrote:
    Any advice on tools I'll need?
    Spare tubes, decent multi tool, mini pump and a set of tyre levers for out on the road. I think my multi tool is from Aldi :oops:
    When it comes to home maintanence Halfords do a pretty good tool kit with most of the other stuff you'll need for a reasonably good price, a bottle of bike cleaner, some lube and appropriate cleaning brushes will be a big help too.
  • It IS useful to effectively put together your own workshop over time, but the tools you really need are the ones that will enable you to make your bike both rideable and safe. Saves you paying bike shops for basic tasks. Some of them you may have already.

On the bike:

Spare inner tube
    Tyre levers
    Your choice of puncture repair kit
    A pump. Get a framefit if you don't intend to put a bottle cage on the seat tube; otherwise get a mini pump.
    A basic multitool
    A chain tool, if your multitool doesn't already have one

At home:

Track pump (Keeping your tyres topped up does matter)

All the spanners and allen keys that you need for your brakes, cranks, pedals, headset, mudguards and/or rack if you have them... Chances are if you have a tool kit you will already have some or all of these.

Some wire cutters. You probably have some of these already. You hopefully won't snap that many brake cables, particularly if you keep them lubed, but you need to be able to change them. Likewise gear cables.

Degreaser and stiff brush. Bike wash is good as well, but not as essential. It's not just vanity - road grime can be bad for your finish - but being able to clean your transmission is important. It will keep it running smoothly and prolong the life of chain, chainrings and freewheel/cassette.

Oil and grease. Everyone has a preference in chain lubricant, and it's common to use 'wet' and 'dry' lubricants depending on weather and conditions. Currently I just use Green Oil all year round. I'm an ecomentalist but it works very well. There are various parts of the bike that you should oil and grease other than the chain, but that's a separate topic.

It's worth getting a freewheel tool (the right one, obviously) too, unless your bike is modern enough to have a freehub.

That might seem like a lot, but I've tried to keep it to the minimum. When it comes to 'drawing the line', I think it's best to think in terms of what you can reasonably be expected to do to begin with. I.e. you might end up with headset installation tools and truing stand (etc etc) eventually, but as a beginner you're probably best leaving those to someone more experienced. I happen to know one such person, thankfully. :lol:

Enjoy the bike though; I love my old bikes. :)