New Cycle Service/Repairs in North Tyneside

dg74
dg74 Posts: 656
edited August 2012 in Commuting general
Hi. Not sure if I'll get flamed for this in here but here goes.

I'm starting up a new service for all types of cycles in the North Tyneside area. Basically, as I learn on my bike course I'll be putting these skills to use from my place of work on customers bikes, so I'll be doing servicing, small repairs, stripping down & cleaning, etc, until I become competent at the bigger stuff - wheel repairs, truing, bottom brackets, etc, etc.

I do charge for this service as I have to buy kit in as and when needed but I do have a full workstand and cycle tool kit to help me along and obviously the usual cleaning items, degreasers, chain lubes/cleaners, etc.

I charge a hell of a lot less than the bike shops in the local area but would like to work with them as I will be putting business there way when things are out of my hands, so to speak. I confess that this is solely a part-time venture for me as I need to work FT to pay the bills, etc.

So, anyone looking to take a punt on a new service in Newcastle/North Tyneside, etc, please feel free to drop me a PM to discuss any requirements.

Thanks.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I'll sit back and wait for the usual slating / moaning from some members of the forum as to why they wouldn't use me, etc, etc.

lol, but I'd say stuff like wheel truing and BBs is pretty minor stuff! I'd learn how to at least true and tension a wheel before you start, as is a very common job in the cycle trade.

What is going to cost, should you decide to go that way, is facing/threading tools, reamers and so on.
  • dg74
    supersonic wrote:
    I'll sit back and wait for the usual slating / moaning from some members of the forum as to why they wouldn't use me, etc, etc.

lol, but I'd say stuff like wheel truing and BBs is pretty minor stuff! I'd learn how to at least true and tension a wheel before you start, as is a very common job in the cycle trade.

What is going to cost, should you decide to go that way, is facing/threading tools, reamers and so on.

Very true and I will get up to speed with these asap. When I say bottom brackets, I can easily whip them out and replace, but after that, I think things will come with experience.

Basically, I'm not going to make a living out of it, just some pocket money & build a decent reputation for good repairs/servicing at costs way below the LBS's. Oh & some new riding mates. :D
  • jjojjas
    jjojjas Posts: 346
    Good luck with it (genuine).
    I work in Gateshead and I have just changed a workmates chain, hes a been riding for 30 years and he doesn't do any spanner work. I didn't think these people existed, but I'm clearly wrong when I speak to others about it. I have lost count of the brakes adjusted, seats hightened, cables adjusted that I have done in a couple of minutes at the bike lockers when someone has mentioned a problem.

I think there's a genuine market for getting a van, spending a few weeks trailing all the industrial estates, bike parks, hospitals, offices and leaving a flyer on all the bikes....
    Bike servicing and repairs at your place of work - we come to you...etc..etc..
    I work in a hospital and I see a steady stream of people with functional commuters and no interest in maintenance - some of them will pay if you pitch up and do it....like the guys who will change your car tyres from a van at your carpark...

On a similar note there is a guy doing something similar at Hamsteryley forest from a VW van, he seems to be doing well (his reputation is good anyway..)...all MTB stuff, but what your talking about is basic stuff.
    good luck.
    Jas
    it looks a bit steep to me.....
  • dg74
    jjojjas wrote:
    Good luck with it (genuine).
    I work in Gateshead and I have just changed a workmates chain, hes a been riding for 30 years and he doesn't do any spanner work. I didn't think these people existed, but I'm clearly wrong when I speak to others about it. I have lost count of the brakes adjusted, seats hightened, cables adjusted that I have done in a couple of minutes at the bike lockers when someone has mentioned a problem.

I think there's a genuine market for getting a van, spending a few weeks trailing all the industrial estates, bike parks, hospitals, offices and leaving a flyer on all the bikes....
    Bike servicing and repairs at your place of work - we come to you...etc..etc..
    I work in a hospital and I see a steady stream of people with functional commuters and no interest in maintenance - some of them will pay if you pitch up and do it....like the guys who will change your car tyres from a van at your carpark...

On a similar note there is a guy doing something similar at Hamsteryley forest from a VW van, he seems to be doing well (his reputation is good anyway..)...all MTB stuff, but what your talking about is basic stuff.
    good luck.
    Jas

Cheers. I'm looking at offering a 'Pick up & Deliver' service once I've a few customers.

Love the idea of flyering the bikes various places. I went to libraries and country parks to leave flyers today and (I asked if I could leave them) was told if I was profiting then I couldn't leave them. Oh well....

Tomorrow I visit the big new police station in North Tyneside - loads of coppers ride.
  • Good luck mate.
    Me and a few friends would certainly be interested.
    Not too handy with a spanner - I normally do more harm to my bike when I try it myself.
    Issue around here is the turnaround time - you sometimes have to wait a week to get your bike back (or you have to take it into town). A couple of days is ok but anymore is a pain in the a**e.
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Just fettled mine to perfection over the weekend, it's running smooth and as fast, so no business from me for a while

Now what would be really great would be a man in a van with a bunch of spare bike parts and tools for when things go wrong and you can't fix it. Like the AA but local. Because you can't always break down near a bike shop.

Did you learn at Recyke'y'bike?
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • Ideally I would want someone to come and fix my bike while I'm sat in the beer garden of the Tynemouth Lodge after a long ride. :wink:
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • dg74
    Well so far so good. Had a few customers who've seen the flyers and are happy with my work.

I'm self taught & won't do jobs I'm not 100% on. I am looking at doing the Recyke y'bike course as I think they are more deserving of the money (being a charity).

My turn around is normally 2 days when I'm not on shift. Also depending on what's booked in.

More than happy if anyone wants to PM me and I'll pass on my number.

If it goes well, I'll invest in a bike rack and will offer service of pick-up & delivery.
  • dg74
    Ideally I would want someone to come and fix my bike while I'm sat in the beer garden of the Tynemouth Lodge after a long ride. :wink:

Ha ha The Lodge. Oh aye. I'm just up the road from that.
  • alas58
    alas58 Posts: 6
    Hi, iam interested, as I have a mountain Bike and a flat bar training bike, my E mail is
    alas58@fsmail.net