Upgrade Or Replace?

Lawrie0523
Lawrie0523 Posts: 12
edited August 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,

I have a Giant Boulder Alu-Shock from around 2003. The bike was used heavily when new both on and off road but has now spent about 5 years in storage.

I’ve given the bike a good look over and there are a few bits that need replacing, the bike needs; new wheels, tyres, front derailleur, chain, chainset, pedals and rear cassette. The frame, Forks and V-brakes are all in good condition, the cables are practically new as they were replaced before the bike was put into storage and all parts have been kept well oiled/greased. Currently the set up is a 3 speed front and 7 speed back, the bike runs but has some obvious issues caused by stretched chain, worn cogs etc.

Realistically my budget is about £300 so a new top spec bike is out of the question, therefore the way I see it I have three options. I would appreciate any opinions or advise anyone has.

Option 1: Replace the bits that need done to get the bike back to running the way it should. I figure about £100 for parts + about £130-150 for wheels and tyres.

Option 2: Upgrade the current bike by replacing all the bits that need done plus the rear derailleur, bottom bracket and shifters to give me a higher spec drive train. I was looking at maybe a Shimano Deore 9speed set-up. Cost around £150-190 for parts plus the same £130-150 for wheels/tyres.

Option 3: New bike, such as the Giant Revel 3, which is the company’s descendant of what I own now. Cost £299ish.

I already have the tools and I’d do the work myself so labour cost isn’t a factor, I’ve done a fair bit of maintenance over the years but this would by far be the biggest job I’ve done. The Bike will mainly be used on roads or dirt tracks but I like to know that I can go a bit more extreme from time to time.

Thanks!

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I think you'll be better off with a new bike, offset some of the cost by selling the old one, break it and sell parts seperatly, keeping any parts that would be useful as spares, the Carrera Vulcan or similar priced Voodoo from Halfords are both good buys......
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    A lot depends on what you are going to be using the bike for. If its road work and mellow trails then no question option 1 fix it up and enjoy.

If you are thinking of something a bit more intense in the future i.e. bigger natural stuff or gnar-tech trail centres then sell it and buy the best bike you can afford.