Gah! No motivation...

Ngalbrai
Ngalbrai Posts: 279
edited August 2012 in Commuting chat
Really struggling with motivation.

When I started out commuting in London it was a no brainer - the tube is horrible, uber expensive, commuting by bike was free, twice as fast and far more enjoyable. I lived in Clapham then.

Then I bought a flat and moved so public transport options were even worse - Streatham, brilliant, could afford a flat since innaccesbile transport kept the price down and what was well over an hour by public tranport into central london was 35mins. Bike come rain or shine, loved it!

Then I moved to Sydney - now you would think the generally better weather and slightly less traffic would be a bonus - well, yes, but transport options are easier, particularly since I got into motorbikes a while ago. There are too many soft options. Plus I got really bored of the cycle commute.

I keep telling myself I MUST get back into it, takes longer in the morning than by motorbike but if I am travelling back at a reasonable (rush hour) time then takes the same time - would rather be bored pedalling than bored sitting on an idling bike in stationary traffic (narrow roads, can't filter).

So the point of this whingy little tale - tell me to harden the f up and get back on the bike or offer some constructive motivational tips - has anyone else lost the motivation to bike commute? How did you get back into it?

Comments

• daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Motivation.

If you don't get back on the bike you will put on weight and have health problems. Or it will cost a fortune and more time to go to the gym. From personal experience.

More fun motivation. Few people can be bothered first thing in the morning but I find the by doing a longer route home and varying the route helps.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • 1294077376832_3660956.png

Strava. SCR. Body of a Greek god. What more do you want?
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    My lack of motivation has spread...soon none of you will cycle any longer bwahahaha
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    Abayomi walks 25 miles every day to get to school...

african%20boy%20walking%20to%20school.jpg

Still feel like whingeing?

:wink:
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Ngalbrai wrote:
    Really struggling with motivation.
    Gods sake man - if it's not raining then cycle ...

Money
    How much does it cost to run the motorbike - work out the cost for each trip and each time you ride put this into a jar ... when you've got enough buy a new bike/wheels/whatever for the bike ...

Fitness
    Are you still fit? Could you be fitter? Use Strava or similar to set yourself targets and beat yourself up when you fail ... :)

Treats
    Set yourself some rules - ie cycle in and you can have a bun with your morning coffee ... bike in and you cut the sugar out of your drinks (assuming you have sugar!)

and above all

MTFU and stop moaning .. get back on your bike!
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    Motivation is the psychological feature that arouses an organism to action toward a desired goal...

...get a goal :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • Do what you like, nobody gives a sh*t.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    If it's any help, I went through this sense of CBA a couple of years ago, and occasionally still do. Best answer is to give in to it. It's supposed to be fun, cycling. If it becomes an effort have a day off, or a week, whatever. You'll know when it's time to get back on as you'll want to get back on.

Enjoy the lie-ins and the sense of being an idle bleeder, at least for a week or two. :)