sram double tap?

ianbar
ianbar Posts: 1,354
edited August 2012 in Road beginners
i know i am going to sound stupid here....does the sram double tap mean you can change up an down using the same lever?
enigma esprit
cannondale caad8 tiagra 2012

Comments

• Ringo 68
    Ringo 68 Posts: 441
    Yep, short push to change up, long push to change down.
    Cube Agree GTC Pro
    Boardman Comp
    Carrera Subway Hybrid
  • nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    Ringo 68 wrote:
    Yep, short push to change up, long push to change down.

..and then when you get fatigued, the long push may not be long enough meaning you change up instead of the intended down - it happens to me sometimes but I still like the Sram shift personally and run Red on one bike and Force on the other.

Try it - you may like it you may not.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    You're the only SRAM user I've ever heard say that? I get fatigued on rides and have never changed up instead of down. I could understand it if you're stretching for the lever but if you've adjusted the reach of the levers this shouldn't happen.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    philthy3 wrote:
    You're the only SRAM user I've ever heard say that? I get fatigued on rides and have never changed up instead of down. I could understand it if you're stretching for the lever but if you've adjusted the reach of the levers this shouldn't happen.

Don't get me wrong I love SRAM double tap, but shifting to a smaller sprocket when you intend to move up to a larger sprocket can easily happen. Fatigue or even a bump on the road can be the difference between pushing the lever far enough across or not. I probably do it about once a week on SRAM Red. Seems to happen more often with Apex IME. But I'd still rather have SRAM than Shimano or Campag.
    More problems but still living....
  • StillGoing
    I'll agree with the preference over the other manufacturers, but then choice is a personal thing before we get umpteen posts advocating the choice of the others over SRAM.
  • FoldingJoe
    FoldingJoe Posts: 1,327
    I'm getting Red on my next bike and was wondering - is it an actual double tap, or just a longer throw of the lever?
    Little boy to Obama: "My Dad says that you read all our emails"
    Obama to little boy: "He's not your real Dad"

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807
  • racingcondor
    racingcondor Posts: 1,434
    Long throw / short throw.

I'm going to get ahead of the 'which are best' comments by saying all 3 major manufacturers make great kit.
  • ianbar
    ianbar Posts: 1,354
    lol i didn't really want to start a debate on which is best, i do know though i won't be going campag as i don't like the button pressing to change up, currently have tiagra and like that way of shifting but will have to test out sram too now i think.
    enigma esprit
    cannondale caad8 tiagra 2012
  • StillGoing
    SRAM is very comfortable for those of us with smaller hands and easier to operate for the same reason. Changes are solid and audible which a lot of riders like for the confidence that something has happened. Others hate the fact its noisy and in their eyes clunky. Double tap is so easy to operate you'll wonder what all the fuss was about. I have Tiagra shifters on my second bike and have no problem jumping between the two.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,149
    FoldingJoe wrote:
    I'm getting Red on my next bike and was wondering - is it an actual double tap, or just a longer throw of the lever?

if you push as far as the first click, then release, it changes to the next higher gear

if you push as far as the second click, it changes down one

if you push beyond the second click, you can change down by up to three cogs, depending on how far you move the lever

may sound odd, but it works well and is easy to get used to
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    The beauty of SRAM over Shimano is the fact you can change gears whilst braking. Its also a fair bit lighter. I think I prefer the shape of Shimano hoods though.
  • I have only used shimano and now sram force on the new bike. Personally I hate it. And find my old shimano ultegra better on every level.
    However its all subjective.
    Bianchi. There are no alternatives only compromises!
    I RIDE A KONA CADABRA -would you like to come and have a play with my magic link?
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I've SRAM force on my new bike - its nice but not as nice as Ultegra - OK so I've used that for longer - but I still cock up the occasional gear change. I've never done that with Shimano as its different levers.

All things being equal I'd take Shimano - but would I go to the bother of stripping the SRAM off the new bike for it ? Naah.

I dont get the braking and changing gear thing - you can do that with Shimano too ?