First XC event suggestion...(London Based)

Fresh60mmForks
Fresh60mmForks Posts: 31
edited August 2012 in XC and Enduro
I made a thread similar to this but in the wrong section. So apologies.

I'm an 18 year old male who wants to get into XC mountain biking, I'm based in LONDON (Which could pose a problem?)...

What events would you suggest for me, I mean I am a beginner yes, however I'm very competitive, if I had the opportunity to compete at the top level now, I would, although I'd come last, that's how competitive I am. So I'm not looking for an event where it's 6 year old kids and then 18 year olds and then 60 year olds, I want some competition to begin with :)

Any suggestions, cheers?

Comments

• njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    That's got it covered! There are 2 autumn Gorricks, come and do one of those, they're all accessible by train if you don't have a car.

At 18 you can choose from Beginner/Fun/Open/Sport/Elite which is 1/2/3/4/5 laps respectively, getting quicker in each.
  • bigdawg
    bigdawg Posts: 672
    whereabouts in london??

Theres a round of the National Points Series being held at Langdon Hills in Essex in tw oweeks time - theres an open category lasting about an hour...
    dont knock on death\'s door.....

Ring the bell and leg it...that really pi**es him off....
  • Pirahna
    Pirahna Posts: 1,315
    Isn't there a race at the Secret Nuclear Bunker comin up? Should be easily reached from London.
  • Pirahna wrote:
    Isn't there a race at the Secret Nuclear Bunker comin up? Should be easily reached from London.

SE London (Lewisham) :)
  • Pirahna wrote:

I'm checking it out now, I'll DEFOE be doing it. Even though I've only got a hybrid lol!! will make for a fun day, and I can get an understand of the competition and how it's run.

What does 2 hours mean though, not xx laps or XX distance, just 2 hours of riding? or whoever does the most laps I assume?
  • bigdawg
    bigdawg Posts: 672
    normally means laps will be between 15-20 minutes, laps are usually decided on the day...
    dont knock on death\'s door.....

Ring the bell and leg it...that really pi**es him off....
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    It'll be laps, and the person who does the most wins. Different events run things differently, some you have to completed the lap by 2 hours, others count the lap you start before the time limit. For 2 hours it's normally the latter - so if you finish a lap after 1:59 you can start another.

I'd still recommend the Gorrick events as well, not too far for you.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I'm not too sure about the Gorrick series on a hybrid though.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools