a little advice for a beginner please

Triangle Kebab
Triangle Kebab Posts: 85
edited August 2012 in Road beginners
just wondering if anyone may be able to offer some explanation on something. i've been out on my new bike a couple of times now,so i'm still very much a beginner. Each time i do go out i get pins and needles in my right foot. It is centered around the area of my foot that sits directly above the pedal (speedplay) and to the outside of my foot directly in line with the first area i mentioned. I have ordered some replacement longer axles as it does feel like i want to move my feet out a bit. If anyone can shed any light on this i would be very grateful.
thanks in advance

Comments

• MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    How new are you to cycling?
    I would remove the speedplays and ride on plain platforms for a while. You may be able to detect where the speedplays are stressing your foot.
    Check your cleat position and riding position.
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    Your shoes sound like they may be too tight. Your feet swell slightly as you get warmed up so your shoes might start off feeling fine but then get tighter.
  • ALaPlage
    ALaPlage Posts: 732
    Your shoes sound like they may be too tight. Your feet swell slightly as you get warmed up so your shoes might start off feeling fine but then get tighter.

+1 for this. Most likely as cleat position problem would more likely cause knee or ankle pain as your leg/foot is forced into an unnatural angle of dangle if the cleat angle isn't right for you.

Try your next ride with your shoes not quite so tight.
    Trek Madone 5.9
    Kinesis Crosslight T4
  • thanks for the replies guys, i have a pair of shimano road shoes in size 46, i take a 10 in normal shoes, the guy in evans said size 46 was right for me, i have noticed that my toes are touching the ends of the shoes after i have been riding for 45mins or so, Could this be the cause of my problem?
  • All my show/pedal issues have been shoes too tight. Learnt to loosen them as I ride now until they are pretty loose (if I walked in them they'd feel far too loose) and it's making a big difference.
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,506

^^ This ^^
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • stoneb09
    stoneb09 Posts: 98
    thanks for the replies guys, i have a pair of shimano road shoes in size 46, i take a 10 in normal shoes, the guy in evans said size 46 was right for me, i have noticed that my toes are touching the ends of the shoes after i have been riding for 45mins or so, Could this be the cause of my problem?

I would personally probably have gone for a 45.