The Closing Ceremony is a SPOILER

jim453
jim453 Posts: 1,360
edited August 2012 in The bottom bracket
What on earth is happening?

Three weeks of the most unbelievably inspirational deeds from sportspeople and public alike.

Followed by the Smash Hits Poll Winners Party

Why?

Comments

• cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    It's so bad that all the feelgood factor of the last couple of weeks is just draining out of me. :(
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    You spelt spioler wrong. :wink:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • jim453
    daviesee wrote:

Sorry, mate. You've lost me.

Are you on drugs?
  • daviesee
    Whisky.

Reference to other threads though.
  • jim453
    daviesee wrote:
    Whisky.

Reference to other threads though.

Well, I like a subtle and even oblique reference as much as the next man but I still have no idea what you're on about. It's almost exactly as if you don't know how to spell the word 'Spoiler'.

Anyway, I don't suppose it matters. Not on a night when some artistic director or other has probably been paid literally hundreds of thousands of pounds for phoning it in.
  • daviesee
    For clarification and to show that it is not just the whisky talking.....
    viewtopic.php?f=40012&t=12863038&hilit=spolier

Obviously too obscure though.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    You miserable cnuts it was fantastic
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • cornerblock
    At least we have changed the worlds opinion of us, before the Olympics they all believed we were crap at sport and really good at music. :?
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872

It was awesome.. but there were some strange choices in there..

eg. George Michael?!

and one direction disgust me.

apart from that it was superb.
  • izza
    izza Posts: 1,561

It was awesome.. but there were some strange choices in there..

eg. George Michael?!

and one direction disgust me.

apart from that it was superb.

In keeping with the best memories we have of our musical heritage, why can't they lock up GM in the cubicle he used to toss off in and feed him through the whole which he used to stick his pecker? He gets sexual gratification, we get to never see his face again - win:win situation.
  • lucan
    lucan Posts: 339
    Liam Gallagher, Russell Brand, George Michael, Kate Moss, Naomi Campbell..

Christ, if they drug test the Olympic closing ceremony it's screwed...
    Summer: Kuota Kebel
    Winter: GT Series3
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,946
    One highlight was when they wheeled the Pet Shop Boys around the stadium in those stupid hats, and when they'd finished their song the crowd did a collective, "NEXT!".

If they got any applause, I missed it, and so did they PSBs, they looked at each other with a sort of WTF? gesture. :D

The director was obviously on an acid trip (again) but apart from that it was mostly enjoyable if a little long.

Lowlights:-

Jessie J,
    A bloke in a giant octopus who could play two CDs at the same time, I mean wow!, two CDs at once? such talent.
    Little Temper.
    George (I nearly died y'know) Micheal.

The older I get, the better I was.

• laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,389
    On the upside, they resisted the urge to wheel out McCartney and/or Elton John
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • nevman
    nevman Posts: 1,611
    Jessie J was fantastic.GM,PTBs and Spices were a disaster.
    Whats the solution? Just pedal faster you baby.

Summer B,man Team Carbon LE#222
    Winter Alan Top Cross
    All rounder Spec. Allez.
  • GeorgeShaw
    GeorgeShaw Posts: 764
    Brian May looked like my granddad playing Guitar Hero.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Jessie J stank (caterwauling harridan), the Spice Girls were suprisingly half decent. Mind you, when we next get the Olympics in 2064 or somesuch, they'll probably still wheel the Spice Hags out for another round of Wannabee.........
    daviesee wrote:

Uhhh, it's "Spolier" :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    daviesee wrote:
    Brilliant - shame the explanation was required!

Spot on.
  • jim453
    Monkeypump wrote:
    daviesee wrote:
    Brilliant - shame the explanation was required!

Spot on.

Brilliant? Really?

Anyway, fair enough on the ceremony love. I hadn't bargained on there being quite so many Spice Girls and Annie Lennox fans on here.

Though, I suppose the Oasis tribute band was passable - even if the try hard singer was hamming up Liam's nasal vocal rather too much.

Face it guys, it was embarrassing.
  • daviesee
    Rolf F wrote:
    daviesee wrote:

Uhhh, it's "Spolier" :lol:
    Yeah. I noticed that when I did the explanation thing. :oops:
  • daviesee
    jim453 wrote:
    Though, I suppose the Oasis tribute band was passable - even if the try hard singer was hamming up Liam's nasal vocal rather too much.
    Kidding about the tribute band. Right?
  • jim453
    daviesee wrote:
    jim453 wrote:

I'm beginning to understand why you loved the ceremony so much.
  • BigJimmyB
    BigJimmyB Posts: 1,302
    Olympic closing ceremony music in subjective internet mauling shocker.....

Have a word with yourselves, they were never to going to please everyone were they?

This was another proud moment besides the Opening ceremeony, 3 weeks of fantastic sport (plus absolutely brilliant TV - thanks Auntie), 70,000 brilliant volunteers and a probably never-to-be-bettered medal haul.

Some people are never happy....
  • daviesee
    jim453 wrote:
    daviesee wrote:
    jim453 wrote:

I'm beginning to understand why you loved the ceremony so much.
    I think we have a misunderstanding. Beady Eye (your Oasis tribute band) is Oasis but without Noel. That was Liam doing the nasal vocals. I thought the version last night stank the big one!
    Some of the closing was brilliant, some utter shoite, and mostly average. Overall, much better than I expected.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    I guess the ceremony was supposed to be a celebration of British music from the past 50-years? Maybe, but there were some notable ommissions and some decidedly interesting inclusions.

I mean, One Direction and Tinie Tempah, are you pulling my length? Over-produced 16-year olds and some fella who raps about guns, bitches, Blackberry phones and big watches? Jessie J really isn't my thing, but she sure as hell can sing.

I fully endorse George Michael's inclusion by the way; his musical talent and influence is absolutely undeniable. Anyone who cannot see that, because they're too hung up on what he does in his spare time, has my pity.

No The Smiths? No Status Quo? No Noel Gallagher? No Stone Roses? No Rolling Stones? No David Bowie?
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • cornerblock
    BigJimmyB - No one is disputing that the opening ceremony was great, that the Olympics have been fantastic or that the coverage was brilliant. And that all the 70,000 volunteers did an amazing job. This thread is about the closing ceremony is it not?

It might be a proud moment for you to see the Spice Girls driven around on the top of a taxi, fair play to you, but are those of us who thought it was a load of garbage not allowed to say so? Of course they were never going to please everyone, but they certainly seemed to please more people with the opening ceremony.
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    I think you lot need to get over your musical snobbery. The opening ceremony was certainly not a playlist I'd put together myself, but as a whole it was a very impressive, well choreographed piece of work.

Some of the acts are no longer relevant but were hugely influential at the time, others will have the old gits moaning that ‘it was much better in my day’. Some omissions were glaring, some inclusions were disappointing.

As others have said, you can’t please everyone but the negativity is tedious. Try to remember what they were trying to achieve – a crowd pleaser and a celebration. Maybe not something for everyone, but certainly something for the masses and all ages.

Most of the visitors – athletes and tourists alike – would have left that stadium having had a cracking evening of entertainment. I’m glad the naysayers all stayed at home and their whinging is confined to the forums.
  • lucan
    lucan Posts: 339
    I chose not to watch it so am unqualified to contribute to this thread. Same with the opening ceremony.

Don't worry about me though, I can think of plenty of other things to complain about.
    Summer: Kuota Kebel
    Winter: GT Series3
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,946
    I know that the next time I see my 87 yr old mum, she is going to ask me "why did they set fire to that man on the high-wire?"

It must have been completely lost on a lot of people, even ones of my age.

The older I get, the better I was.

• nevman
    nevman Posts: 1,611
    Did someone mishear `man on wire` for `man on fire`-or am I your mum?
    Whats the solution? Just pedal faster you baby.

Summer B,man Team Carbon LE#222
    Winter Alan Top Cross
    All rounder Spec. Allez.
  • Ben6899 wrote:
    No David Bowie?

David Bowie can't sing for shit these days but a rendition of Heroes was in order.
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015