Olympic closing ceremony

OffTheBackAdam
OffTheBackAdam Posts: 1,869
edited August 2012 in The cake stop
WTF?
:shock:
Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.

Comments

• MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    ACE !!
    :mrgreen:
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • I like it, and so does my wife!
    I ache, therefore I am.
  • tim_wand
    tim_wand Posts: 2,552
    Sorry I ve loved every minute of the Olympics, but this,.

George Micheal, Cottaging Smack head, Kate Moss Smack Head,Russell (former smackhead) upset a nation Brandt. Niomi Cambell sycophantic recipient of Diamonds from those who commit genocide. Boyah gangster wannabes in Rolls Royces and Jesse ( I m pop royalty been around for all of two seconds) Jay.

Wonderwall without Noel .

Are these the people who really make you proud of this great Nation?

Bet Jennie Craig is really Glad Mel B has been endorsing her diet plan

Loved the opening ceremony, elegant, self effacing , understated and quintessentially British,

But that was just a load of luvvie egomaniacs trying to get their face time too
  • tim_wand
    tim_wand Posts: 2,552
    Okay they are forgiven everything, knew I should have waited.

THE WHO BABA O' RILEY (sheer class)

Puts Fat Gary's band to absolute shame.

How the hell did Daltrey not tw*t Ricky WIlson from the Kaiser Chiefs for earlier.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Good ending, especially with the Bradley connection.

And no Hey Jude.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • dw300
    dw300 Posts: 1,642
    For everyone watching the Olympic Closing .. you just missed Rory take down the PGA Championships to make it 2 Majors. Won by 8 clear shots.
    All the above is just advice .. you can do whatever the f*ck you wana do!
    Bike Radar Strava Club
    The Northern Ireland Thread
  • izza
    izza Posts: 1,561
    Can someone explain why everyone sang rousing tunes, big hits or famous song covers, except for one person.

George Micheal had to plug his new single. The man is odious.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Was just a pop concert wannit!
    Very uninspiring. Seemed very disjointed too.
    Not a patch on the opening ceremony.
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    Full marks to Trevor Nelson for saying little.
    Eric Idle was the highlight, massed bagpipes, morrismen, an Indian dance troupe and an East-End pub singalong, what could be more British and when the fat lady sang, they should have ended on a high note.
    Who are Muse and why were they there? Same for those skinny models and the fashion adverts. The fashion police should have arrested them all.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    MichaelW wrote:
    Same for those skinny models and the fashion adverts. The fashion police should have arrested them all.
    I noticed that the BBC tried their best to cut the sound for the adverts.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Absolute crap imo, is that the best they could do? The 'music' acts were dreadful, bloody Jessie J, bloody woman, load of rubbish, bloody spice girls crap, opening ceremony soooo much better, abysmal ....
  • Nuns on rollerblades, what was that all about?
    Why ever did I stay up until 12.30 to watch this?
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • garryc
    garryc Posts: 203
    Total rubbish. It was like a cross between a charity concert and an 80s pop video compilation.

They should have just had Eric Ilde, switched the flame off (nice and quick), ditch the speaches, set the fireworks off and had a drink. Shouldn't have taken more that 45mins.

George Michael? WTF!
  • keyser__soze
    keyser__soze Posts: 2,067
    Glad WADA didn't extend drugs testing all performers at the Olympics to those involved in the closing ceremony :)
    "Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
    "Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"
  • ad_snow
    ad_snow Posts: 469
    MichaelW wrote:
    Who are Muse and why were they there?

Multiple Brit award, AMA, Grammy, Ivor Novello, amongst others, winning band.
    3 number 1 albums in the UK alone... they are a pretty massive band. Filled Wembley stadium plenty of times not to mention they wrote one of the official Olympic songs.

If this comment was about Tinie Tempah or Jessie J I'd understand but Muse...!
  • garryc
    garryc Posts: 203
    When Muse came on I said to the mrs "oh no 5 mins of po-faced, wagnerian, histronics, and fret wankery" and I was right.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    ad_snow wrote:
    MichaelW wrote:
    Who are Muse and why were they there?

Multiple Brit award, AMA, Grammy, Ivor Novello, amongst others, winning band.
    3 number 1 albums in the UK alone... they are a pretty massive band. Filled Wembley stadium plenty of times not to mention they wrote one of the official Olympic songs.

If this comment was about Tinie Tempah or Jessie J I'd understand but Muse...!

Dunno whats worse.. 'band' fanboyisms or
    procyclists with dubious histories fanboyisms
  • Loved it but didn't it go on!!
  • I knew that I wouldn't like the Spice Girls, GM, Tinnie Templer, Jessie J etc. But there were two huge disappointments for me... Liam Gallacher and The Who.

I like Oasis, I like the Who, but both were pretty dismal affairs last night. God knows what Liam was doing with his voice. As for The Who, I am even more disappointed that we had to wheel on a 68 year old Roger Daltry who just about managed to stand up for 5 minutes. Yes the Who were great 50 years ago, but surely passing on the Olympic flame we could have had a modern band that could play the instruments and move without fear of falling over?
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    For 2 weeks Great Britain made friends with the world, by putting on a most spectacular Olympic games. Then we had to go and ruin all that hard work by tormenting them with all that is bad in Britain - Egotistical, drug addicted, talentless has beens.
    Russell Brand prancing around like psychodelic praying mantis on cocaine.
    George (I look gayer by the day) Michael.
    Fat boy slim 'spinning disks'!! on a giant childs inflatable!
    Non entity rap artists in Blingy Rollers.
    The thug that is Liam (I'd have been in nick if it weren't for ar kid) Gallagher.
    The Spice Girls. Nuff said.
    Emilie (too much Olympic exposure me thinks) Sande.
    The Who (go back to your trout farm nr Ringwood Roger).
    Eric Idle!! I do like Monty Python, but hell, even I can see that it does not mix with the Olympics.
    Queen (and not that cottaging junkie who got to showcase his new single), but WTF was that all about last night. Brian may looked like an Harry Potter extra, and was the guitar solo really that suiteable?

What a way to sign off to the world. All that was missing was that pr*@k Dappy.

Rant over.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • It was truly awful and, IMO, devalued the previous 16 days.

Will Gompertz, erstwhile BBC arts correspondent tweeted :-
    Sounds like someone has put Alan Partridge's iPod on shuffle
    Which is unnervingly accurate.
    You're the light wiping out my batteries; You're the cream in my airport coffee's.
  • Loved it. Watched it to the end with the Mrs, 12.30? Really?

You're a bunch of grumpy grannies, it was just an 'end of' party, everyone complains about the D J :lol:
    'fool'
  • garryc wrote:
    When Muse came on I said to the mrs "oh no 5 mins of po-faced, wagnerian, histronics, and fret wankery" and I was right.
    ^this.

Should have just faded all the stadium lights down to the whistling from "Always look on the Bright Side of Life" until the Olympic flame was the only thing left, then extinguish it suddenly in a Python-esque fart..... :wink:
    "Get a bicycle. You won't regret it if you live"
    Mark Twain
  • dw300
    dw300 Posts: 1,642
    I really like Muse .. but that Olympic song they did didn't seem to have any tune whatsoever. :(
    All the above is just advice .. you can do whatever the f*ck you wana do!
    Bike Radar Strava Club
    The Northern Ireland Thread
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    Nothing like a sh1t spewing session to ruin what has been 16 days of glorious sporting entertainment.
  • fast as fupp
    fast as fupp Posts: 2,277
    i was shocked they let Townsend into the stadium with all those kids around.

dull, unimaginative and stuck in a late 20th century timewarp.

the music must have been chosen by a 55 year old solicitor from solihull (or jeremy clarkson).
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    I was bored silly and went to bed after the first hour. What I did see was cringingly toe-curlingly awful and made me feel embarrassed for the producers of that mess since they clearly didn't know enough to be embarrassed for themselves.
  • Yeah, pretty awful. I can't believe how many people mimed too. And what the hell was Russell Brand doing 'singing'?
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    After Muse tunelessly thrashed around for five minutes I felt like cutting myself.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    I thought it was rubbish, no common theme, disjointed and went to bed at 22:30, most people I spoke to today agreed

I loved the Olympics, thought BBC coverage was brilliant especially using the red button! The opening ceremony wasn't my thing, but can understand how it would appeal to some. I just didn't rate the closing ceremony, too much about celebrities and not enough about real people and Coe is an absolute Tosser!