New Hardtrail Moutain Bike 2013 models

john10012
john10012 Posts: 47
edited August 2012 in MTB buying advice
I'm looking to get a Hardtrail Mountain Bike in the next couple months and do that as part of the Cycle to Work scheme.

I have been waiting for newer 2013 models to come out so I can go and check them out first in local stores and also read up on reviews for them.

Unfortunately the Cycle to Work Scheme through my employer is not the one run by Halford as I believe they have a few really good value Hardtrail's like the Voodoo Hoodoo. And previous years models of the Carerra Fury have been known to be quite good although the latest one you don't seem to be able to get except in larger frame sizes. Also they are the store in the UK that sell the Boardman HT Comp another great value Hardtrail in terms of what you get for your money, notwithstanding the mixed opinions on Halfords service.

With these particular models and any others sold by Halfords ruled out, what Hardtrails would you recommend I look at that will be available through one of the stores signed up with the Cycle to Work Scheme?

I have considered the Specialized Rockhopper in the past but that seems to have now gone to 29" only wheels and I am not convinced that the bigger wheels would be best suited to my style of riding and intended use for the bike and would prefer to go with 26" wheels. I am not sure I would be able to get a discounted one through the scheme from last year (this year 2012 really) if I even felt it was good value and not considered other options.

What other options are there for current and new 2013 models on the way (yet to be released in the coming weeks) that you would recommend I take a look at?

I was probably going to have a budget of around £600 for the bike alone itself give or take a small measure and wanted to get the best possible value I can in terms of what I get for my money re ride, handling, performance, frame, shocks, weight etc.

Thanks for any advice and recommendations you can offer.

John

Comments

• waby1234
    waby1234 Posts: 571
    Is it anywhere apart from Halfords then? Which stores?
    2011 Carrera Fury

Earn cashback at CRC, Wiggle, Evans, Rutland, Hargroves, Halfords, and more at Quidco
  • waby1234
    waby1234 Posts: 571
    Plus what type of riding do you intend to do?
    2011 Carrera Fury

Earn cashback at CRC, Wiggle, Evans, Rutland, Hargroves, Halfords, and more at Quidco
  • Hi. Any bike shops that are part of the cyclescheme at http://www.cyclescheme.co.uk

I live in Leeds but can travel to any places nearby e.g. Harrogate, York, Bradford, Huddersfield, Castleford, Sheffield etc

I intend to use the bike for both gentle and more steep trails in Peak District, Yorkshire Dales, NYM, Lake District, Wales, Scotland, as well as to work. Even when I am going to work I don't intend to always go on the road and take some shortcuts. Terrain here is hilly and roads are not the best with a lot of potholes.

Looking for something similar to a Fury but I can get through cyclescheme and good value. I think the Voodoo Hoodoo looks a great bike but is a little on the heavy side.

I've just been taking a look at the Jamis Durango Race at Evans Cycles which I believe is part of the scheme and a shop I would be able to buy from, but I was unable to see anything on how much this bike weighed.

Thanks for any recommendations.

John
  • Any recommendations anyone for a hardtrail similar to rockhopper 26", fury or boardman ht comp?