How to seat tyre properly

boogi11
boogi11 Posts: 354
edited August 2012 in Road beginners
Hi all, I have just put a new tube in my back wheel, and while it all works fine, on a Tarmac road it bumps, and I can see this is where the tyre is not seated properly in the rim, what is the best was to get it sorted, obviously I can let the tyre down and re-seat it, but there must be a better way of getting it on properly

Comments

• Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    What sort of tire and wheel do you have?

A road bike tire should be inflated to about 115psi, no way should the tire not be seated correctly with that much pressure behind it.
  • navrig
    navrig Posts: 1,352
    boogi11 wrote:
    Hi all, I have just put a new tube in my back wheel, and while it all works fine, on a Tarmac road it bumps, and I can see this is where the tyre is not seated properly in the rim, what is the best was to get it sorted, obviously I can let the tyre down and re-seat it, but there must be a better way of getting it on properly

Is it a Schwalbe Blizzard?

I have these and had problems getting them seated. So dud a friend.

You must deflate and fix it. Don't ride with it.
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    When ever I fit a tyre, I then roll the wheel, applying pressure to it, before inflating it. This forces the bead into the seat all the way around.

Seems to work for me.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • mattcroad
    mattcroad Posts: 189
    fit tyre and tube
    inflate to 15 / 20 psi
    roll wheel / bike along ground firmly (seats bead)
    continue pumping to desired psi
    There is a rule for that
    FCN 4 2009 Trek 1.5
    FCN 11 2007 Apollo XC.26s
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    Is it seated badly around the valve?
    Deflate, push valve into rim, reseat tyre and inflate.
  • pinarellokid
    pinarellokid Posts: 1,208
    i have this issue on a new bike im building.

just put the new continentals on and pumped up when i spin both wheels i get a section of the tyre which is further in then the rest so dips when i spin it.. think il re inflate to 20psi and try to manipulate it
    Specialized S Works SL2 . Campagnolo Record 11spd. rolling on Campag Zonda wheels

http://app.strava.com/athletes/881211
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    Mostly already covered but I...
    1). stick about 15 psi in and go around the whole tyre (wheel off the bike) and push in the sidewalls and check all around the rim (mostly for a trapped tube but it also helps make sure the tyre seats properly)
    2). Inflate to about 60 psi and keep an eye on the tyre, generally by 60 psi it should have seated properly. If there's still a bit where it's not seated then it's a judgement call whether to deflate and trying working the sidewall there a bit or just carry on adding air assuming it will pop into place

Also as one poster said, if it's at the valve it's not seating then you probably screwed down the valve too much before putting air in and it's stopping the bead seating so just unscrew it and push it up into the tyre a bit. Once you have full pressure in it then you can screw it down tight.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Gizmodo wrote:
    A road bike tire should be inflated to about 115psi,
    115psi?! That's a bit high as a blanket rule isn't it?

Edit, if this is to be believed http://www.bikequarterly.com/images/TireDrop.pdf you'd be the best part of 105kg for 115psi to be sensible, on the back, with a 25mm tyre.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    bails87 wrote:
    Gizmodo wrote:
    A road bike tire should be inflated to about 115psi,
    115psi?! That's a bit high as a blanket rule isn't it?

Edit, if this is to be believed http://www.bikequarterly.com/images/TireDrop.pdf you'd be the best part of 105kg for 115psi to be sensible, on the back, with a 25mm tyre.
    Maybe a bit. The average height of a UK male is 5' 10", the ideal weight range is 64 to 79 kg - using the middle value, 71kg split 45% front, 55% rear, then add 12kg of bike split equally between the 2 wheels, that's 45kg of load on the rear wheel.

Using the chart you quote that comes to just over 105psi for the rear wheel with a 23mm tire (which is still the predominant size on road bikes for now at least).

Given that this is a Road Beginners forum, it stands a chance that some of us are over weight, so I wasn't far off for a guess. :D