Garmin 500 length of strap ???

Team4Luke
Team4Luke Posts: 597
edited August 2012 in Road general
Just got an Edge 500, so much better piece of equipment than my 305. However, the strap it came with is far shorter than my 305 strap, I am only slim and this strap is actually too tight for me, do they come with different size straps or is this a factory fault making one with whatever length they had left.
I am selling my 305 to my mate so I can't use my old one and the new short one would be too small for him, should I ask the shop to get me another strap ?

short strap is at maximum length and my old one has more left it needed :!:

strap.jpg
Team4Luke supports Cardiac Risk in the Young

Comments

• Secteur
    Secteur Posts: 1,971
    Looks completely different to my two Garmin straps (one came with a 800 about 18 months ago, the other with a Forerunner 610 about 6 months ago).

Mine are quite big, and easily fit me when I was a big old boy 18 months ago (44" chest at the time, IIRC).

Not calling you stoopid or anything, but are you sure you've fully extended it?
  • try pulling the toggle over to match the old one, although im sure you must be on the wind up here to see how many numptys reply, good one though its made me smile :)
  • Team4Luke
    sorry I am daft, my brain isn't right yet, had a bad migraine yesterday, I have just pulled the toggle across and lengthened it, I wasn't on a wind up, just looking at it, it appears as above that it's at it's longest, I was thinking the added extra would be at the left, where it straightens out when on your chest and that is where you would take the spare from. Clearly not !

I feel a numpty now !
  • Secteur
    haha... FAIL!!!!
  • rsands
    rsands Posts: 60
    if you bought new is that not the old strap that garmin used? the garmin 500s now ship with a pure soft strap whole way round
  • Team4Luke
    yes bought new from local shop ?
  • Mike39496
    Mike39496 Posts: 414
    rsands wrote:
    if you bought new is that not the old strap that garmin used? the garmin 500s now ship with a pure soft strap whole way round

It depends on which one it is, only the black and red one comes with a soft strap.
  • Secteur
    Mine look like this (the HR monitor clips on) [not my images]

garminsoftstrap_1_grande.png?2491

garmin_edge_800_heart_rate_strap_pod_600.jpg
  • Team4Luke
    wow that's a nice strap, much better, I ordered a blue garmin so got the old strap as above.
  • rsands
    strange, i just got the standard one black and silver but it came with the premium heart rate strap. must have been lucky. how much did you pay for it?
  • Team4Luke
    £224 for mine
  • rsands
    Ye same here, and it came with the new strap. GOt it here:

http://www.mcconveycycles.com/store/pro ... ATE-BLACK/

I collected it from them but worth giving them a call. Definately a better strap
  • Secteur wrote:
    Mine look like this (the HR monitor clips on) [not my images]

garminsoftstrap_1_grande.png?2491

garmin_edge_800_heart_rate_strap_pod_600.jpg

This is the "Premium HRM"whereas the one in the first post is the one that I got with the 500 combo pack.

My original "non-premium" HRM failed after about 3 months, so Garmin sent me the premium as a replacement
    - more awkward to fit and keep clean, but feels a better product.
    All the gear, but no idea...