Superstar wheelset?

henryfuller
henryfuller Posts: 360
edited August 2012 in MTB buying advice
has anyone used these, or anything similar?
http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_ ... cts_id=496
what do you think?
Henry

Comments

• Superb! OMG they are £200 now :shock:
  • yes i thought they were abit "cheap"
    Henry
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Extreme bargain.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • I bought a pair with crest rims for my XC bike, lovely wheels. I went for the red hubs. freehub makes a nice noise too! One day I may go tubeless but happy with them as they are. Bit gutted as I paid £220 for them but still think that was a bargain. You've got a steal!
  • tugger
    tugger Posts: 122
    Just dont buy their chain devices cos they are rubbish with a capital R.
    All about the aggregation of marginal gains (or marginal losses, depending on who you are!!)
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    Got them with Flows over a year ago. They've been good for the price and are still straight and round. Front bearings had to be changed pretty quick, but it was easy. Spoke tensions were also off, but were fixed easy enough. The freehub has also been changed for a steel one as the original had cracked around one of the pawls due to worn bearings (had the same happen to a Hope freehub). Despite that list of stuff, they're still excellent value for money and spares are cheap and easy to get hold of.
  • ive just bought a set :) cheers for the advice
    Henry
  • tugger
    so basically you bought some, they broke, and you replaced them with cheap spares which are yet to break...? sounds like superstar!
    All about the aggregation of marginal gains (or marginal losses, depending on who you are!!)
  • hmmmm, at that price, I'm actually half tempted to buy a set and start a build based on that.
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    tugger wrote:
    so basically you bought some, they broke, and you replaced them with cheap spares which are yet to break...? sounds like superstar!

Basically, but to be fair I've had similar/worse happen to more expensive wheels. The only parts that are actually 'poor quality' are the bearings imo. At the time I bought them I couldn't have got the rims alone for less than £140.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    tugger wrote:
    Just dont buy their chain devices cos they are rubbish with a capital R.
    My Superstar Plasma chain device is more effective than my Truvativ X0 chain device for less than half the price. It's a great chain device.

Superstar wheelsets are great. I had a set of Mavic EX721 rims on switch EVO hubs, didn't even have to true them once after several uplift days and DH races. I have now got a set of Mavic XM719 rims on switch EVO hubs, gave them a good battering at the weekend, all looking good. Only took a few days for delivery.
  • tugger
    fair enough, luck of the draw maybe but the ones ive had have been less than useless... such is life
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    You must have been unlucky. I bought mine because a few mates used them and liked them. You sure you set yours up right?
    The only way I think they could improve it is to add a taco bash guard
  • tugger
    i smashed the jockey wheel thing funny enough and also had an xc thing that just refused to work.too flimsy. got an mrp on both bikes now, no hassle ever since
  • Criller
    Criller Posts: 57
    Just got these with crest rims. Whilst I'm no bike 'geek' the wheels were of good quality. I'm not sure what the fuss is about over the noise of the rear hubs as my evos are near silent. My only concern is the quality of the QR adaptors, a bit 'cheap' in quality but time will tell. I guess at the price I shouldn't moan. Good service from Superstar although pre-sales could have been better.
  • Clank
    Clank Posts: 2,323
    Mine arrived in very fair time and seem to be well built - very true and no loose spokes. I'm expecting one or two to creep after a few rides but I've found this with wheels from Mavic and Shimano, so I'm prepared for a 'settling in' period.

The rear hub is spooky quiet, which suits me, and engagement is a lot quicker than the Deore hub they directly replaced. Pleased so far.
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.
  • I have a Trek EX8 2012.
    It has bontranger rhythem comp wheel set.
    Would there be a difference between the wheel sets?
  • yes, one set would be bontrager, the other would be superstar.

seriously though. What's wrong with the ones you have that you're looking to improve on? What's the weight like? stiffness? are they tubeless? how many engagement points? so on...

what's your budget like for the superstar set? You can go from about £100-£500
  • Im probably going to change the rear hub (hope?) to something better as iv gone through bearings and they are a nightmare to stripdown so might buy new rims at the same time.

Im not a weight watcher but thinking lighter wheels.
    Just noticed the superstars and wondered if an.y difference between the sets