Re-inflating inner tube then... pop!

ben@31
ben@31 Posts: 2,327
edited August 2012 in Road beginners
I was just about to go out on a lovely ride, I was looking forward to it all weekend. It took me hours of planning with military precession using google maps, the wind direction, train times as an escape option, I bought in food and drink especially.

Anyway, one minute before I was about to set off, I thought to myself "I'll top up the inner tubes". So out came the track pump. Rear tube went to 100 psi fine. The front tube just got to 100 psi then something had blown.

Whats gone wrong? How can I avoid this?

I fitted the tubes and tyres only a week ago. So I'm a bit annoyed. Was the inner tube pinched between the tyre and the rim?

Anyways thats my weekend screwed. Now I have to get changed out of my cycling gear and drive to halfrauds to get yet another tube so I can cycle to work tomorrow :-(
"The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby

Comments

• :( Bad luck

Always worth having a couple of spare tubes 'in stock'
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    Quite likely the tube pinched between tyre and rim yes. Have a look for the puncture and see what damage is there. My money is on a small tear in the tube. I've had a brand new tube fail for no apparent reason other than faulty manufacture though
  • ben@31
    Quite likely the tube pinched between tyre and rim yes. Have a look for the puncture and see what damage is there. My money is on a small tear in the tube. I've had a brand new tube fail for no apparent reason other than faulty manufacture though

When I fit the new tube is there anything I can do to avoid causing a pinch flat? Thanks.
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    ben@31 wrote:

When I fit the new tube is there anything I can do to avoid causing a pinch flat? Thanks.
    I put a few psi into the tube to hold it into the tyre before levering it on.

Yet to have any issues.
  • ben@31
    I took the inner tube off. On inspection, I was amazed to find a star Shaped puncture next to the only break in the rim tape (a spoke had been replaced there).

I used some electrical tape to re-cover the rim at the spoke repair and valve hole. I fitted the inner tube with it slightly inflated to keep it's shape. And thankfully, my tyres been on and off so many times now there's enough play to get it over the rim just by using a press of the thumbs and not brute grorilla force with tyre levers.

After tea, I'll get back out on the bike.
  • Wirral_paul
    ben@31 wrote:
    I took the inner tube off. On inspection, I was amazed to find a star Shaped puncture next to the only break in the rim tape (a spoke had been replaced there).

Whoever repaired it that way should be shot! The rim tape should have been so simple to lift up rather than cutting a hole in it to replace the spoke! Your inner tube has tried to expand into the empty space and hence the star shaped puncture where the tube was stretched really thin.

May be worth getting a new rim tape when you're next in a bike shop as electrical tape will stretch given the pressure in the tube - and you'll probably get another star shaped puncture sooner rather than later. Duct tape will last better as a temporary repair (cloth tape wont stretch like electrical tape)
  • fast as fupp
    fast as fupp Posts: 2,277
    ben@31 wrote:
    I was just about to go out on a lovely ride, I was looking forward to it all weekend. It took me hours of planning with military precession using google maps, the wind direction, train times as an escape option, I bought in food and drink especially.

Anyway, one minute before I was about to set off, I thought to myself "I'll top up the inner tubes". So out came the track pump. Rear tube went to 100 psi fine. The front tube just got to 100 psi then something had blown.

Whats gone wrong? How can I avoid this?

I fitted the tubes and tyres only a week ago. So I'm a bit annoyed. Was the inner tube pinched between the tyre and the rim?

Anyways thats my weekend screwed. Now I have to get changed out of my cycling gear and drive to halfrauds to get yet another tube so I can cycle to work tomorrow :-(

dont you carry a spare tube when you go out? :shock:
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • ben@31

This happened even before I even went out.

I carry patches and a small co2 bottle. phone. wallet. energy gel. water. wallet. helmet. sunglasses or clear glasses.

Each to their own.
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    ben@31 wrote:

I carry patches and a small co2 bottle. phone. wallet. energy gel. water. wallet. helmet. sunglasses or clear glasses.

Each to their own.

2 wallets? I just take a five pound note
  • navrig
    navrig Posts: 1,352
    You really need to learn how to change a tube so that these things don't spoil your ride. Punctures will happen and you should be able to fix them at the roadside.

Recently I prepared the bike on a Friday night for an 0700 start with friends. At 0630 I found I had slow puncture and my rear was flat. I still had brekkie and met my mates at 0700. OK I had dirty hands but still got out.
  • Wirral_paul
    ShutUpLegs wrote:
    ben@31 wrote:

Each to their own.

2 wallets? I just take a five pound note

Obviously cant fit all his money in one, silly :mrgreen: