Recommend me some good cycle wear + advice on sizing ?

blackstick
blackstick Posts: 151
edited August 2012 in Road beginners
Helo , how are you ?

I'am looking for a good jersey , padded tight shorts , gloves and socks .
The reason I ask is due to too many brands and different prices that made me so confused on the choices .

I have all the above but noticed when I do longer distance , the padding on shorts starts to move around my butt + got stuck on the seat sometimes which is uncomfortable :( , gloves starts to rub my palms .
And any good socks that is slightly thicker ?
Therefore wanting advice on more comfortable one's .

Also that my chest size is around 38 inch which is considered M size but then I can fit well a 36 inch jersey which is S . So should I get an S sized shorts as well ? I've got a mixture of small and medium jersey and shorts . :oops:

Sorry for all this lousy questions .
Thanks !!

Comments

• iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Different brands have different fitting so the best you can do is buy from a shop where you can try on kit.

What is your budget? Recently invested in some Assos shorts, well worth it and consider chamois cream for longer rides.
  • crescent
    crescent Posts: 1,201
    I have a few Castelli items. Very nice but order about two sizes bigger than you normally are. I have a xl jersey that is still very neat fitting, I'm about a 40" chest.
    Endura Equipe range of clothing are good, too.
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"
  • You wont' go far wrong with DHB from Wiggle unless your budget is in ASSOS territory.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Gore, Sportful, Santini, Sugoi, Pearl Izumi and Giordana are all worthy of a look. All have a range of models/specs for a variety of budgets.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • I bought a full set of Altura Airstream kit (bib, jersey and gloves), which is real entry level stuff, when I started. I have just upgraded to Santini. On my <30k rides after work, I can't tell the difference for more than double the price.

Am I right in thinking it is considered bad form to wear replica team kits? Surely they'll be the best qulity?
  • velogee
    velogee Posts: 133
    Altura Gel Bib's are very good for the money IMO.

I have also bought some very nice bargains on this very site, for example a Saxo Bank team shirt for £20 inc postage!
    Madone 4.9 2014
    Jeffsy 27.5 2018
  • If you're anywhere near a decathlon store go and have a look and try some on. My bib shorts are as good as my DHB ones, at half the price. :mrgreen:
  • mouth
    mouth Posts: 1,195
    try running socks, and in my experience thinner is better than thick.
    The only disability in life is a poor attitude.