Winter workhorse advice needed.

Ber Nard
Ber Nard Posts: 827
edited August 2012 in Commuting chat
Looking forward to the winter already, I'm thinking about building up a winter-proof do it all bike to free up my Preffisio as my winter trainer.

I want: Disc brakes, a rack, mudgaurds, clearance for 700c 35mm ice spikes (when needed) under the mudgaurds and cheapish.

Closest I've seen is the Planet X Kaffenback and Genesis Croix de Fer but I think tyre clearance would be an issue. Ideally I want to stick to 700c wheels, drop bars and carry over as much of my Veloce groupset as possible but would I be better off looking at MTB frames? As it'd end up as my year round commuter I want something road orientated so I'm reluctant to consider 26 inch wheels and flat bars.

Any suggestions?

Cheers,

Rob

Comments

• SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    This;

http://www.scott-sports.com/global/en/p ... sub-10-xl/

Carbon drive is awesome requiring zero maintenance, silent running and no grease on your legs / trousers.

Nicely sealed Alfine gives you gears and puts all the delicate bits out of the rain and grit.

Disc brakes as specified.

Plenty of tyre clearance.

For practicality I cannot see how this can be beaten.

The only box not ticked is the drop bars - but that shouldn't be an issue to retrofit.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • Ber Nard
    Never come across those but it looks good. Maybe a little bit too hybrid but a change to drop bars and skinnier tyres should sort that.

Cheers,

Rob
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    A 29er mtb, or cx. Boardman? Not sure how cheap you consider it, but there might be some second hand ones about.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • jedster
    jedster Posts: 1,717
    I've got a drop bar 11 speed pompetamine which would tick everything but clearance for ice spikes under guards. How many days a year would you expect to use those tyres - you're in Stoke on Trent not Stavanger :o)
  • phy2sll2
    phy2sll2 Posts: 680
    Nah, cantis all the way.

What is life without excitement?
  • nich
    nich Posts: 888
    Cotric RoadRat (or the newer X) will do the trick.

Been using mine for ages, not just through winter.

They are a bit costly though, but I'm chuffed with it.
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    Ber Nard wrote:
    [...] clearance for 700c 35mm ice spikes (when needed) under the mudgaurds [...]

Surely if it's cold enough to need ice spikes, the need for mudguards is almost eliminated?

(Or else; N+2 => winter commuter and dedicated 'ice bike')
  • DrLex wrote:
    Ber Nard wrote:
    [...] clearance for 700c 35mm ice spikes (when needed) under the mudgaurds [...]

Surely if it's cold enough to need ice spikes, the need for mudguards is almost eliminated?

your confuseing need with want!

does sound like a fun bike has to be said, sounds like maybe one of the CX bikes best bet?
  • If you get a CX, you could use MTB-style downtube guards to keep the worst off you. It's not as though a CX is likely to be a looker, so it doesn't matter as much.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    If you get a CX, you could use MTB-style downtube guards to keep the worst off you. It's not as though a CX is likely to be a looker, so it doesn't matter as much.

Cheek!

You can get 42c guards to fit on the Tricross - there's loads of clearance and 35s with ice spikes won't be a problem
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Yeah, 35s and guards easily fit on the Boardman CX too.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Ber Nard
    jedster wrote:
    I've got a drop bar 11 speed pompetamine which would tick everything but clearance for ice spikes under guards. How many days a year would you expect to use those tyres - you're in Stoke on Trent not Stavanger :o)

True, but I want to have the option for those days. I use the bike regardless of the weather and don't fancy adding to the scars from my last outings on black ice.
    DrLex wrote:

A dedicated ice bike sounds cool! Skinny steel frame, ice spikes, fixed wheel, no brakes... But Jedster's point above stands and I couldn't be arsed with removing the rack and guards to change tyres. I also want the option of running CX tyres for snow/slush. Like I say; this has to be a true do it all bike.

Cheers for all the suggestions, the Boardman CX is high up my list - I'll have to look at the others. I'm also considering a Jamis Bosanova for a bit of old school touring style but they only seem available from Evans. Any experience of them?

Rob
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    jedster wrote:
    I've got a drop bar 11 speed pompetamine which would tick everything but clearance for ice spikes under guards.

On-One don't do these any more :'(
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    It's a bit expensive but maybe something based on the Singular Peregrine? Lugged frame construction with disc brake mounts, clears 2.0" tyres...what's not to like!
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}