Making room indoors for n+1

iPete
iPete Posts: 6,076
edited August 2012 in Commuting chat
Very close to caving to n+1 but don't want to piss off the house mates with yet more bikes :lol:

Anyone use one of these, looks perfect and can't be drilling anything into the wall..
full16586.jpg

Comments

• pastryboy
    pastryboy Posts: 1,385
    Looks like it needs to be bolted to the floor?
  • iPete
    oops link http://www.wiggle.co.uk/topeak-dual-touch-bike-stand/

No it uses pressure, just want to know if the quality is any good as there is an alternative from Minoura http://www.wiggle.co.uk/minoura-bike-to ... ike-stand/

Saying that, am pretty sure I've seen a fair few bike shops that use the Topeak.
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Looks good. Up to four bikes too....neat solution.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,340
    Looks good, but if you are relying on pressure/friction to hold it in place, make sure your ceiling is up to the job as well as the floor.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Have you considered selling one of your older bikes to make more room?
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • iPete
    Have you considered selling one of your older bikes to make more room?

Yes I've dug one out of a cupboard to sell but it wasn't technically in the way so no help there :lol:
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    If you do get something like this can you post your thoughts on it.

If I ever actually make up my mind to get a new bike I was thinking of getting something like this so I could store the old roadie and the MTB in the lock up we rent from the council without them taking up too much room.
  • Harry182
    Harry182 Posts: 1,170
    I've been using one of these from Edinburgh Bicycle Co-op for about 3 years in rented accommodation. Looks reasonably good, is reasonably inexpensive (£90) and doesn't require being screw fixed.

00009725.jpg
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I've got three bikes in the living room lol, might have to have a look at some solutions!
  • I used one in my old place for about a year, and it was great. Had the minoura one. Tried and failed fixing s mount to the wall and this was a good alternative. Expensive at firstt but worth it. For what its worth, I'm selling the one I had. Minoura one as mentioned, threads in the classifieds.

Pm me if your interested

Jon
  • I used one in my old place for about a year, and it was great. Had the minoura one. Tried and failed fixing s mount to the wall and this was a good alternative. Expensive at firstt but worth it. For what its worth, I'm selling the one I had. Minoura one as mentioned, threads in the classifieds.

Pm me if your interested

Jon
  • iPete
    YHPM

Unfortunately I just got outbid for the n+1 I wanted :cry: although there are still enough bikes in the house to look at a stand to make me feel better :lol:
  • mudcovered
    mudcovered Posts: 725
    iPete wrote:
    Very close to caving to n+1 but don't want to wee-wee off the house mates with yet more bikes :lol:

Anyone use one of these, looks perfect and can't be drilling anything into the wall..
    full16586.jpg

Used one of those for quite a few years without any problems at all. Takes a little care to fit bikes both sides but it is possible. Do consider getting the add on hooks that hold the bike bars straight or the bars will sometimes turn and leave the wheel sticking out more than the bars would.
    Mike
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Before anyone spends £90 on one of these, try this instead:

http://www.ikeahackers.net/2008/02/stol ... -rack.html

I use it and it's solid. I still occasionally take the bikes off and check it's tight, but it's always fine.

Cheap as well. About £20 for the pole, a fiver or so for the hooks and brackets and another few quid for some steel square pipe. I originally used alu, but the only stuff I could get was three sided square pipe, so a U section. It twisted too much for my liking so I replaced it with the proper square steel.

I've got the CX on the bottom and my MTB on the top, with the front wheel hanging on another hook on the 'back' of the bracket that holds the MTB (allows the bike to sit a bike lower without the front wheel hitting the bars of the CX).

I can get pics tonight if anyone's interested.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    How much height do you need to store 2 bikes like that btw.
  • suzyb wrote:

I store 3 bikes in my garage in 6 feet height, two on a wall bracket and one underneath
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    suzyb wrote:

I store 3 bikes in my garage in 6 feet height, two on a wall bracket and one underneath
    I'll check the height of my rack tonight.

I'm quite tall though, so the saddle of the CX is pretty high (78cm ish fro BB to saddle top), which means the MTb has to be high up so the back wheel clears the CX's saddle. I also use my Reverb to make the MTB 'shorter' by putting the seat down as low as possible.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."