Another bottom bracket question

elvisliveson
elvisliveson Posts: 12
edited August 2012 in The workshop
I have owned a new Giant Defy 1 (2012) for 8 weeks. I have been riding it to work and on longer rides, so it is being well used. After a few weeks, i noticed a clicking from BB during pressure on pedals which increased to an almighty creaking sound particularly when standing up and on the hills. I took the bike back to the shop (over an hour away) and they stated that they had tightened and regreased it. 40 miles later the clicking has returned. Am I being unreasonable if I ask for a replacement BB ? Are clicking sounds a normal occurrence on new bikes ? I love the bike, just slightly pissed off that this is happening as I bought it because of its relatively high end components (press fit bb) in the hope that it would be reliable and mostly troublefree.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• pdw
    pdw Posts: 315
    These types are noises are fairly common and can be tricky to diagnose. They are rarely caused by the BB itself. They're much more likely to be movement between the BB and the frame, or pedals and the cranks, but could be other things. I've never used a press fit BB but I'd have thought they'd make the former less likely.

If I were you, the first thing I'd try is to take the pedals off, thoroughly grease the threads, and re-tighten.
  • Tick!! - still clicking - its definitely the BB
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    What is the bottom bracket?
  • its a shimano press fit jobbie