New to Road Cycling and need some expert help and advice!

TourDeFrance
TourDeFrance Posts: 6
edited August 2012 in Road beginners
Hi Guys,
I'm new to the forum and this is my first post. :D I have recently been watching the Tour De France and the cycling at the Olympic Games and I have been glued to the television ever since it started. It has really inspired me to want to get into the sport and I would like some expert help, guidance and advice to point me in the right direction. Firstly, I need a bike, and I have been looking around various cycle shops online at road bikes under £1000... that's my budget. I want the best bike possible for the price. I would like your views and opinions on some of bikes that I have got my eye on. (See list below)

Secondly, after purchasing a decent road bike and getting some experience out on the road, I would be interested in joining a local cycle club to gain more knowledge and experience from other cyclists. I would like to get competitive and take part in some road racing sometime in the very near future. I am 30 now and I understand that I'm a little too old to get into major events and become the next winner of the Tour De France, :lol: but I would like to get myself to a high level of fitness and compete in some events around the UK and possibly abroad. I know I am a long way off that yet, but I like to be ambitious! :) I consider myself to be quite fit, train roughly 4-5 times per week and eat healthily. I would like your views on training and how best to start out in the sport.

Right, here we go then Guys! These are the bikes I have been looking at and I am very interested in. I will be going to a few local cycle shops over the next few weeks to take a closer look at the bikes and try them out! All your help, advice and feedback is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance! :wink:

The Shortlist: :D

1. BMC Streetracer SR01 Tiagra Compact 2012
http://www.evanscycles.com/products/bmc/streetracer-sr01-tiagra-compact-2012-road-bike-ec031069

2. Cannondale CAAD8 6 TIA 2012
http://www.evanscycles.com/products/cannondale/caad8-6-tia-2012-compact-road-bike-ec031475

3. Eddy Merckx AMX1 Tiagra 2012
http://www.rutlandcycling.com/39929/Eddy-Merckx-AMX-1-Tiagra-2012---Road-Bike.html

4. Colnago Air 105 2012
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/colnago-air-105-2012/

5. Felt Z6 Tiagra 2012
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/felt-z6-tiagra-2012/

6. Felt F85 Road Bike 2012
http://www.tweekscycles.com/bikes/road-bikes/felt-f85-road-bike-2012

7. Focus Variado 3.0 TRP Road Bike 2012
http://www.sigmasport.co.uk/p/22149/focus-variado-30-bicycle-2012/

8. Wilier La Triestina 105 Road Bike 2012
http://www.tweekscycles.com/bikes/road-bikes/wilier-la-triestina-105-road-bike-2012

9. Specialized Allez Comp 2012
http://www.cyclesuk.com/product/Allez_Comp_2012_9020-4156

My apologies for such a long list Guys! Thank You for taking the time to view my post! :D

Comments

• nwmlarge
    nwmlarge Posts: 778
    i have an allez, i really enjoy riding it for fun and for commuting (32miles a day)

the best advice is to go and try each bike, it may be time consuming but it will be fun, as you get to ride loads of bikes and you will get something that will last you for years
  • For me the Wilier, I couldn't find one in my size. So I bought a TCR have to admit I do love it - maybe get one next year chipolini coloured one!)
    2012 Giant TCR Composite 3
  • EarlyGo
    EarlyGo Posts: 281
    Hi TDF,

They are all good bikes. Just be aware that the Felt F85 has 'Microshift' shifters which some people can't get on with due to the fiddly three lever arrangement. As you've said, try to get as many test rides as possible and buy the bike that firstly, fits best and that secondly, you like the look of most. Don't forget to allow money for pedals (clipless if you want to race), shoes, shorts, tops, gloves, helmet, glasses, bottle cages, drinks bottles, tyre levers, spare tube, mini-tool, hand pump, track pump etc. It can get expensive really quickly! However, if you buy your bike from your local bike shop (LBS) then they will often throw a lot of the extras in to any deal if you are prepared to haggle, or at least do you a good price on what can easily be 300 - 400 pounds worth of extras.

Enjoy your bike,

Regards, EarlyGo
  • Hi Guys,
    Thanks for all your replies, it's much appreciated. I went to a LBS yesterday to see if they had any of the road bikes that are on my shortlist. I looked at the BMC SR01 and wasn't as keen on it after viewing it close up, and I thought it felt quite heavy. I also got a closer look at the Cannondale CAAD 8 105, not the Tiagra, as they didn't have one in the shop. I was really impressed with it. It felt a lot lighter than the BMC and looked good too! :D I wasn't too keen on the colour to be honest (black and red), and would much prefer the white and green colour of the CAAD 8 Tiagra. These were the only two bikes I was able to view, although I did ask for some information on the Colnago Air 105, as I really like the look of this bike. :D

Do any of you Guys own a Colnago Air 105 or a Merckx AMX1? I can't seem to find much information on them. At the moment I am torn between the Cannondale CAAD 8 Tiagra and the Colnago Air 105, even though I havn't taken either of them for a test ride. I think it's because I like the look of a white coloured bike. Lol! :lol:

I can also get a really good deal for the Caad 8 Tiagra (£760) and I am also looking at getting a discount on the cyclesheme at work. What are your thoughts Guys? I'm in need of some expert help and advice.
  • mattshrops
    mattshrops Posts: 1,134
    all the cannondales have a fantastic reputation for comfort, its probably one of the best aluminium frames out there. Another good option is the Giant defy 1, with 105 groupset at 999. Only problem might be finding one in stock anywhere.
    Sorry not prepared to go through all the specs, but if you want to look at it from the value for money viewpoint, then remember your groupset includes the chainset and brakes. I'm sure a few of those you've listed will not be FULL groupset(so a slightly inferior make/type to save a bit of money).
    Not sure i'd worry about that too much. two things i think- 1) which one feels comfiest/right when you sit on it?
    2) which one makes you feel excited?
    May sound a bit stupid but it helps motivation and enjoyment.
    Death or Glory- Just another Story
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    Hi,

All bikes around the same price will be similar in spec - with the differences in the detail - eg. better wheels but the chainset is not. etc. All the ones listed are respected brands, so it's just down to trying them out and picking the one that grabs you.

As for racing, check out British Cycling 'Go Race' events.
  • Mark Elvin
    Mark Elvin Posts: 997
    Have a look at the Cannondale Synapse too.
    2012 Cannondale Synapse
  • I have the Felt F95 (the one down from the F85) and do not like the micro-shifters as struggle to shift form the drops. Other than that, I really like the bike, the position, the build quality, handling etc.

Have you looked at a Mekk? Full carbon for under a grand and decent components as well. It's what I wish I'd gone for.
  • Thanks again for all you're quick replies Guys! :D I have just had a quick look at the Synapse and it looks and sounds like a decent bike, although I do prefer the look of the CAAD 8 in green and white. :lol: I haven't really looked at or considered a Mekk to be honest, wasn't too sure about the reputation and quality of their bikes. What do you Guys think of the Mekk's? Can anyone recommend a decent Mekk model for under £1000?

I have been looking around online at various options, and the more I think about it, I would really like the lightest and most durable bike possible for the money, that handles well and has good acceleration and is good on hill climbs etc. . . I'm not asking for much am I?! :lol: I have been searching for a local bike club to join, and I have found one that really sounds like it has everything I want to do. Club runs on weekdays and weekends and also road racing aswell. I am really keen to get started and join but need my new bike and kit first, before I get into contact with them. I don't want to pick a bike that is going to hold me back in anyway or look a little out of place as I know most of the Guys will have awesome bikes and I know they will be well experienced riders. It's only a small club and there aren't that many members. I just don't want to feel out of place if you know what I mean?! Should I be a little concerned or am I worrying too much about nothing? :oops:

I would really like a nice looking bike that is lightweight and can be upgraded as and when needed, as I get more experienced and when I become a better rider. Can any of you suggest an ideal bike that would suit my needs and requirements? Any suggestions, help and advice as regards any of this is greatly welcomed! Thanks! :wink:
  • gmacz
    gmacz Posts: 343
    Look at the Giants as well, loads of newbies start on the Defy and stay on it.
  • Been considering the CAAD 10 105 as I found a good price for it (£999) and a few local cycle shops said they would also pricematch. It came in just under my £1000 budget. . . is this bike worth considering Guys? How good is it? :?:

Would this be more ideal for me getting into road racing, long distance club runs etc? Like I said in a previous post, I'm a little concerned about joining a local club with a bit of an inferior bike. . . I know I am new to the sport, but I don't want to look out of place. :oops: I want to be able to fit straight in, not having to worry about if I have purchased the right bike.

Thanks again for all your advice!!! :D
  • SR7492
    SR7492 Posts: 190
    I have a CAAD10 105, awesome piece of kit.

The CAAD10 is a race set up bike, whereas the Synapse is more of a cruiser, the CAAD10 is the opposite.

For under 1k, that is a great price.

Is it the 2012 model?

If it is, I'd have a look at the 2011 CAAD10, that comes with the full 105 groupset whereas the 2012 bike has Tekro brakes, not 105. Plus it'll be cheaper :)
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    SR7492 wrote:
    I have a CAAD10 105, awesome piece of kit.

The CAAD10 is a race set up bike, whereas the Synapse is more of a cruiser, the CAAD10 is the opposite.
    :)
    Bollx. I knew I was going wrong somewhere racing the damned thing....
    LG0zq.jpg
  • Yeah SR7492, it is the 2012 model! :roll: Unfortunately I just can't seem to find a CAAD 10 105 2011 model for sale anywhere. I actually like the 2012 (white and green) Liquigas colours. I really like the look and style of this bike and so far it is top of my shortlist. Will this bike be more than adequate to get started on and is it ideal for racing? It has quite a lot of rave reviews and for £999 it does seem quite a good deal. Are the Tektro brakes not good quality?
  • snoopsmydogg
    snoopsmydogg Posts: 1,110
    Tdf have you ridden any of these bikes? If not do so and buy the one that fits best.

The CAAD10 gets good reviews on here but all will do what you want.
  • hstiles
    hstiles Posts: 414
    find a local bike shop with a half decent second hand section and try and pick yourself up something there. A mate of mine picked up a second hand Allez with carbon forks and 9-speed tiagra groupset for £300.

For another £400 he was able to add shoes, pedals, decent computer. better set of wheels and a second cassette with wider ratios to help him on the tougher climbs. And a set of bib shorts.

A quality frame is the foundation of any bike, so a decent second bike will create a solid starting point on which you can build as your obsession with cycling develops.
  • troy45
    troy45 Posts: 13
    I've got the Wilier La Triestina 105 as my first racer earlier this year and I really like it. Bought it through the cyclescheme at work after mainly doing lots of road and path mileage on my trusty old 2005 GT Avalanche with semi-slicks on it.

Can't compare it against other brands and like I said it is my first racer but I really like it - I added a bit of cash to the cyclescheme budget to go for a 105 spec bike following advice from my mate who's a lot more experienced in these things and it seems well worth the money. Seems to roll along really nicely he said after I did a days ride out with him round York way, and I managed a 75 mile sportive after only having done a few rides on it.

I've had to do a few adjustments to the front deraileur and you can't get the rear wheel out without dismantling the skewer but those are only minor niggles really.

No way I could say it's the best or worst for that sort of money but I doubt someone would be disappointed with one :D
  • Just get the bike that feels best to you.

You may not manage to find anything for much less than £1500 that's really worth upgrading, but I'll let others comment on that.

But weight is INCREDIBLY overrated in cycling today. I'm not going to mock you and accuse you of having delusions of grandeur or anything like that, but to those of us with some perspective it's very funny (and a little disheartening at times) when beginners worry about weight or think that a road bike is 'heavy'. The average entry-level road bike available today is lighter than those of recent (mid-late '80s) Tour de France winners, and equipped with modern luxuries that those cyclists would have killed for. That and until you reach a very high performance level the difference in weight that a 'light' bike gives you will be unimportant. What ARE important are aerodynamics, fitness, strength, endurance and technique. Keeping rolling resistance down will help too, but there's nothing like a puncture from a Great British road to slow you down.

I'm not trying to discourage you, really. Quite the opposite. If there's one thing that I'd want every beginner road cyclist to know is what I wish I had been more convinced of to begin with: That they aren't too good for their equipment; that and they're only going to be as good as they're willing to make themselves. So don't worry about what bike you have. Get out there and push your limits. :)
  • troy45
    I have to worry about the weight of mine because it usually lives upstairs at home!

It'd be an easier job if it wasn't carrying extra weight in the bag under the seat but I'd rather be prepared with the usual multi-tool, couple of tubes and gas pump with a few spare cartridges

Actually saw another new Wilier in a shop today, when I got mine I hadn't realised they were a satin/matt black as new but compress to the fresh version mine has shined up a bit now - not gloss but more satin than matt now after its been cleaned a few times.

I've wondered myself how much weight made a difference but in reality for mere mortals it's not the bike and kit that makes the difference but the engine pedalling it!
  • For a grand I wouldn't look any further than the Defy Composite 3 - £999 at JE James and Dales Cycles. I know people shy away from them because they're so common, but honestly, you don't get better bikes for the money.

The composite 3 is Tiagra, but 2012 Tiagra is just as good as 2011 and backwards 105. It's a carbon frame and an incredible ride.
  • troy45 wrote:
    I have to worry about the weight of mine because it usually lives upstairs at home!

It'd be an easier job if it wasn't carrying extra weight in the bag under the seat but I'd rather be prepared with the usual multi-tool, couple of tubes and gas pump with a few spare cartridges

Man up. :lol:
  • troy45
    No worries I wasn't being serious :lol: