Olympic/Professional Moutain Biking....

Fresh60mmForks
Fresh60mmForks Posts: 31
edited August 2012 in MTB beginners
How to get into it? They always talk about how the olympics is inspiring people to take up sport, yet I've typed in how to get into many sports on google and NOTHING comes up...

I'm already a sprinter, been doing that for a while now. But I've been cycling all my life, mountain and road, I'm a pretty quick ride with balls of steel (Which has lead me to crashing into ditches) but you have to risk it sometimes!

I'm just wondering how to get into competitions for cross-trail mountain biking, or to be able to compete at a level where I could get scouted for the Olympics or something?

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I assume you are a troll or an idiot.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    Enter races.

You can't just enter a race, otherwise hundreds of people would turn up to race, there's certain criteria, and I'm simply asking for some advice, not OVERLY detailed, but a ground knowledge of what to do?
  • cooldad wrote:
    I assume you are a troll or an idiot.

It's people like you who put people off sports, however luckily I'm not sensitive :)

And no I'm not trolling, I'm being serious :S
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Enter a race. Win race. Enter another etc until you are rich and famous.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Enter rubbish level race, win, enter better race, win, and so on until better race is the Olympics.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    You can 'just enter a race'. Look on the British Cycling website for events. Enter races, win them, become rich and famous.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    As above, of course you can just enter a race. If you want to do the National series buy a license, race sport, move up to expert, then elite, then if you're the very best there, possibly top 2, you'll get into the Olympics.

It's harder than you think, I suspect your 'balls of steel' will be of little use!
  • I'm a pretty quick ride with balls of steel

Not sure you can be the judge of this for yourself :D ...

Also as others have said, you can just turn up to a race, you just need to enter yourself into an open level race
    Specialized Hardrock 06
    On One 456 Summer Season 2010 neon orange!

“…get it in your head, then there’s nothing else important for the next couple of hours than getting that particular line done…” – Danny MacAskill
  • Stu Coops
    Stu Coops Posts: 426
    What a complete knobber :lol::lol::lol:
    Zesty 514 Scott Scale 20 GT Expert HalfwayupMTB
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    You guys realise this is the MTB beginner's section, right?
    How about you back off a minute and consider that this seems to be someone new to riding, who has a taste for racing, but no idea what to to do or what to enter.
    Instead of pointless dissing, why not suggest various grass-route events he could join?
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    Try this page http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/mtb/article/mtbst_Get-Into-Cross-Country-Mountain-Biking

At the bottom of that page you will see a section called "Get Involved" that has more links like "Find an Event to Ride" and "Join a Club"
  • Stu Coops wrote:
    What a complete knobber :lol::lol::lol:

Can't quite work out what's funny, maybe you're easily amused. And sorry, who the heck are you?

Internet gangster I assume.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Obviously the Olympics is kind of hard to get to - you are already a sprinter, I am assuming you werent at the olympics for that so you have some idea that to reach a competitive level it requires a little bit of work.

Tell us a little about yourself - where you live, what bike you ride, age etc may help us direct you to appropriate avenues to get into racing.

For example there are many open entry events held in the Crowthorne area (Gorrick races) with differing skill levels - this is a great way to try racing and progress through the levels to see where your talents lie. To get to World Champs levels you need UCI points to race, you get those by winning UCI sanctioned events, you get to those by competing in lots of other events.

This site - http://www.xcracer.com/UK-Mountain-Bike-Event-Calendar.php - provides lots of useful information.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • pilch
    pilch Posts: 1,136
    Its good to have ambition, British cycling as stated above is a good starting point, you will find details of the majority of cycle races all over the country on there. They also have a development programme on there called Go Ride The other thing I would suggest is to join a club, I don't know how old you are but obviously if youth is on your side then that helps.

Many people have been 'cycling all their lives' but there is a big difference between recreational cycling and competitive cycling as a sport. To do well... even in local races takes masses of training and dedication.

If you want some idea of the effort you need to put in have a look at Joe Friel's training bible... according to Joe, like any other sport you wish to excel in, it can take years to reach your full potential - that's years of structured training, diet regimes, cross training and single minded dedication...

Riding on the tide of the Olympic high feels great at the moment, but the reality of the background effort to enable you to compete at that level is far from glamorous...
    A berm? were you expecting one?

29er race

29er bouncer
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    I'd say XCRacer is probably a better source than BC for race calendars etc, if nothing else the Gorrick events are not BC sanctioned, but are a fantastic way to get into racing.
  • pilch
    pilch Posts: 1,136
    Some more info for you
    A berm? were you expecting one?

29er race

29er bouncer