Commuting in Bristol (Long Ashton)

Roougers
Roougers Posts: 36
edited August 2012 in Commuting general
Hi Guys,

Need a bit of help from any Bristol locals.

New contract starting in Bristol in a few weeks time, working very close to Temple Meads Station, ran a few routes when I was down last week (Bikeless) whilst house hunting, and like the look of Long Ashton. Is it a relatively safe commute as it seemed to be unlit.

Few of my future collegues were a bit dubious about doing it in the winter, I'm a daily commuter but I prefer to stay off roads as much as possible.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

R

Comments

• Not much option other than to take the road through Long Ashton, once you get to Ashton Court it's paved but off road to city centre. Check opencyclemap.org. I've not commuted along it - it's fairly narrow road and I guess it gets pretty busy commuter time.

(Also - off topic but - Are there many shops in Long Ashton? Obviously I don't know anything about what you look for in an area, but I'd recommend somewhere a bit more central - I'm moving back to Bristol tomorrow and will be looking for somewhere in Bedminster/Windmill Hill)
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Obviously when riding in the dark you'll be using lights. There is a cycleroute from Long Ashton into the city centre via Ashton Court.

NCN33 then Festival Way and alongside the river into the city docks then onto Temple Meads via various routes depending on where the office will be.

If you're feeling strong there is always the gentle climb up Providence Lane :shock:
    (Also - off topic but - Are there many shops in Long Ashton?

Yes, at least 12 but not many more.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • dav1
    dav1 Posts: 1,298
    I often ride down coronation road to temple meads as part of my (slightly longer then needed but less traffic lights) commute. I find the road is OK for the most part, although does get congested at peak times approaching bedminster bridge roundabout. Luckily the path is a shared cycle/ped if you do't like the roads or need a way past. However there are a lot of trees and signs in the way blocking views so the road is better if you have to option.

From a few weekend rides I have done the A370 can be hairy, although I think its OK beyond long ashton when the bus lane starts (where you will probably use it).

The other bit to look out for is the A3029, which which is quite busy with fast traffic. There is a cycle path that gets you onto the Ashton gate underpass (starting over the road from the UWE campus) but its dark and well hidden under a bridge. I think you should be able to get there on quiet roads and cycle paths though and avoid the A370.

I often ride up from the ashton gate undrpass, where you can stay in the right hand lane and then take the exit immediately onto slower and more cycle friendly roads. Had no issues yet but obviously you need to keep your wits about you on that section.
    Giant TCR advanced 2 (Summer/race)
    Merlin single malt fixie (Commuter/winter/training)
    Trek superfly 7 (Summer XC)
    Giant Yukon singlespeed conversion (winter MTB/Ice/snow)

Carrera virtuoso - RIP
  • dodgerdog
    dodgerdog Posts: 292
    I would echo Redvee's comments on routes although you need to be careful relying on getting through Ashton Court as it closes quite early through the winter, something like 17:30 or 18:00. The A370 looks bad going out of town but having done it for a number of years it is ok. The worst bit is the lane swap from Coronation Road to the Ashton Gate/Portishead exit where sometimes you get folks flooring it to make it past before cutting back in. So long as you are aware and keep an eye on the traffic potentially comuing either side of you I have found it to be OK.

If you are after weekend riding Brsitol and District Tri club ride out of Cumberland basin (the Pump House) at 0900 on a Sat AM, I think South bristol CC ride out of the other pub down there and there is an early bunch who ride out from Strada (very decent bike shop) in Bedminster at something like 0730.

As for Long Ashton - the Bird in hand pub is supposed to do very good nosh - the chef used to run the Pump House which was critically aclaimed last year as the best in Brizzle. I am a bit further out into N Somerset but would say that Long Ashton offers an excellent compromise between semi-rural but close enough in to use bus (or even walk/cycle) into the City for social events.
    Allez Triple (hairy with mudguards) - FCN 4
    Ribble Gran Fondo
  • dav1
    dav1 Posts: 1,298
    Bristol south ride from the city centre, near bristol bridge on Sunday mornings.

http://www.bristolsouthcc.co.uk/djk/Clu ... y_runs.php
    Giant TCR advanced 2 (Summer/race)
    Merlin single malt fixie (Commuter/winter/training)
    Trek superfly 7 (Summer XC)
    Giant Yukon singlespeed conversion (winter MTB/Ice/snow)

Carrera virtuoso - RIP
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    I forgot about Ashton Court closing early in the winter. The plans for NCN33 through Long Ashton is for it to continue right through to the Dovecote pub. I wouldn't ride along the shared path on Coronation Road as they have put the trees in the cycle half of it. If you ride around Bemmy Bridge on the road be aware of the drain covers as you pull away from the lights on Coronation Road, they are sunken slightly and have sharp edges, snakebite material :-(
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.