How do you store it all?

Eternal-Bcb
Eternal-Bcb Posts: 25
edited August 2012 in Road beginners
Like the question says basically but it struck me tonight when I was about to go out on my first ride that where the hell do you put your phone, keys, Kit-Kat bar etc when you out on a long ride in lycra or otherwise?

I've seen people with padded shorts on etc but never see any pockets or bulges where they've put stuff so just wondering as a beginner where you guys keep it all?

Thanks.

Comments

• baldwin471
    baldwin471 Posts: 366
    Cycling shirts usually have two or three pockets on the back. Mine has three open ones and a zipped one. Phone in the zipped one, energy gels/bars in the other three, hide keys somewhere around front door. I realise not everyone can do that with their keys, but that's what i do.
  • karlth
    karlth Posts: 156
    You can get quite a lot in one of these as well:

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/basic-04l-id_8036818.html

zoom_400PX_asset_11888024.jpg
  • Front door key and £20 note in zip pocket, food in 1 pocket, waterproof in another. Tools/tubes in bag under saddle. Phone on handlebar mount.

Simples?
  • Jersey pockets, seatpost wedge (assuming you are carrying no luggage)...

That ought to be enough, but the rider that wishes to carry a great deal of food (for example) could add a small frame bag, an 'energy bag' attached to the top tube and stem...

But the key is to slim down what you carry around with you and to carry it sensibly. Detach house keys from bunch, take cash or card (cash being possibly more useful if the intended use is taxi), take 'compact' food, and assume to take only the most necessary tools. Once you've covered the basics you can decide what to do with any leftover space you might have.

It's generally a good idea to forbid yourself from taking lots of junk around with you (there has to come a point at which you curse bad luck and go home; it's not like you can carry a spare bike in your saddle bag), but if you have surplus space to fill it's no bad idea to be equipped to solve simple problems. Eg. you can get home with a snapped front brake cable, but if you have a spare corner in your saddlebag and some wire cutters on your multitool, you could spend a few minutes at the road side and then continue as if nothing happened. Etc.
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    All kinds of saddle bags , also barbags and frame bags such as bentobox.
    Jersey pockets are OK for squishy stuff but if you wipeout with hard stuff in your rear pockets, you fill fall on it.
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    I often carry camera, mini tripods, remote shutter releases etc on my rides and with this extra stuff (in addition to the usual roadside repair stuff) I use a Carradice Barley bag. At seven litres it is big enough but not too big
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    edited August 2012
    Having a carbon seat post I'm reluctant to use saddle bags as they leave marks. Instead I can easily get two tubes, levers, CO2 pump, spare cartridge and adhesive patches in one pouch, phone in a zipped pocket, keys and gels/othe nutrition in another pouch and foldaway rain jacket in the final pouch.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • rozzer32
    rozzer32 Posts: 3,920
    ***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    panniers
  • pdsalmon
    pdsalmon Posts: 55
    Tool bottle for tools

Pockets for food
  • ShutUpLegs wrote:
    panniers

lol :lol:

Managed to fit the following into my jersey* pockets yesterday:

2 x high 5 gel bottles
    2 x clif bars
    2 x flap jack bars
    2 x spare gels
    1 x htc one mobile (i.e. not small)
    1 x rapha essentials case (of course)
    inhaler
    lip balm
    home made map (still got lost)
    tissues
    house key
    spare electrolyte tab (cheers wiggle)

*It was a Rapha Country Jersey darling ;-) :lol:
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,149
    back pockets of jersey for food, repair stuff, etc.

bottle cages for water/whatever

unless it's a shopping trip, or you are heading for a day in the deep sticks with no way to get food/water, there's no need for anything more
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • crescent
    crescent Posts: 1,201

But the key is to slim down what you carry around with you and to carry it sensibly. Detach house keys from bunch, take cash or card (cash being possibly more useful if the intended use is taxi), take 'compact' food, and assume to take only the most necessary tools. Once you've covered the basics you can decide what to do with any leftover space you might.

+1 for this. I was guilty of carrying too much with me. Applied a bit of common sense and thinned it down. I have two Allen keys now that fit pretty much everything instead of a clasp of ten keys. Glue free patches instead of a puncture repair kit. Two tyre levers instead of three. All small adjustments but I now fit everything in a small pouch in my middle pocket along with a small pump. This frees up the cages for proper drinks bottles instead of tool kits and still leaves one pocket for food/gels and one for phone/keys/cash.
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"
  • Also get a weatherproof bag and stick your phone +cash in it, saves you being caught out in the rain...i use my firstaid kit bag which is weahterproof to store my mobile in it, mobiles dont get moist if stored in plastic i beleive either.
    London2Brighton Challange 100k!
    http://www.justgiving.com/broxbourne-runners
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    Phone in one jersey rear pocket, food in the opposite - jacket/gilet in the middle. Money in small front pocket.

Spare tube-repair kit-co2 pump-first aid kit-tools-spare house key-spare gels in saddlebag.
  • nbuuifx
    nbuuifx Posts: 302
    I tend to wear my MTB overshorts over the top of my padded shorts - mainly for the convenience of the pockets. The pockets are different to regular shorts (sort of backwards) so you can get in them whilst riding. I keep my phone in one pocket and my multi-tool in the other. The multi-tool is a topeak 18+ and came with a neoprene case, I also slide a fiver in this and it has space for a key.

I put my waterproof in my jersey pocket if I think I will need it.

I used to use a saddle bag with a spare inner tube, patches, tools etc in but after 18 months of riding with zero punctures I have given up taking it with me <- I realise sods law states this will bite me on the backside but so far so good! When I used this though there was space for my phone, keys, multi-tool and waterproof - so didn't need any pockets etc.

I might try and get a really small compact under saddle bag with just enough room for an inner tube and patches, but then again I don't even carry a pump so I'd be stuffed!
  • kleinstroker
    kleinstroker Posts: 2,133
    rozzer32 wrote:

"Keeping it tidy in the rear" means something else down our way!! Like the look though
  • lesz42
    lesz42 Posts: 690
    camelbak? :wink:
    Giant Trance X0 (08) Reverb, Hope Hoops 5.1D, XT brakes, RQ BC, Works Components headset 1.5
  • on my commuting bike i carry nothin :shock: is that bad lol???

300 miles and counting no puntures, god bless Schwalbe Marathon Plus Smartguard tyres they are insane to put on(thus i dont bother with inner tube as id never get one on, at roadside) but once on bloody good.
    London2Brighton Challange 100k!
    http://www.justgiving.com/broxbourne-runners
  • Tom Dean
    Tom Dean Posts: 1,723
    Kit-Kats are not the best food to be carrying with you.
  • DesB3rd
    DesB3rd Posts: 285
    RHS - pump, multi-tool, jelly worms
    Mid - phone, £10, card (all in a zip-lock)
    LHS - spare inner, tire-boot, spare link, levers

Improved food (fruit, cake, pop etc) is what the money's for.
  • paulmon
    paulmon Posts: 315
    Small ruck sack containing the following:

2 * Tubes
    Tools
    Shower proof jacket
    Wallet (for ID purposes)
    Phone
    Food
    Keys
    Toilet Roll
    Pump

I'm an ex MTB rider and I much prefer to have everything on my back plus the rucksack acts like the hump motorcyclists have on their leathers if you come off, as I found out a few weeks ago when I lost the back on a slippery surface.

P
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Keep it minimal. Catastrophic failures are rare so warrant The Phone Call Home, not the carrying of a pile of tools & spares just in case. As for the rest of it, pretty much like the rest:

Phone
    Keys
    Cash

All in rear pockets, nicely balanced.

In the saddle wedge, a spare tube, a v small pnctr o/fit, tyre levers & a Co2 cannister. For longer rides (40 miles or so +) add a bit more: food, more cash & gels, and fit a frame pump in case of multiple punctures.
  • nwmlarge
    nwmlarge Posts: 778
    on my commuting bike i carry nothin :shock: is that bad lol???

300 miles and counting no puntures, god bless Schwalbe Marathon Plus Smartguard tyres they are insane to put on(thus i dont bother with inner tube as id never get one on, at roadside) but once on bloody good.

you are brave
    i have a tube, levers, patch kit, allen tool, wallet and keys in a topeak under saddle bag
    lezyne pump on the bottle mount
    iphone on bars mount
    often a water/windproof in my jersey pocket
  • Mr Will
    Mr Will Posts: 216
    As others have said - carry less stuff. Unless I'm venturing far afield my pockets are packed as follows:-

Left pocket: Empty
    Middle pocket: Empty
    Right pocket: Empty
    Left zipped pocket (small): Patch-kit, levers, multi-tool (Lezyne V5), Chain tool, house key
    Right zipped pocket (small): Phone, Card, £10 note
    Pump goes on the frame under a bottle cage.

What more do you honestly need than that?
    2010 Cannondale CAAD9 Tiagra