Cannondale CAAD 8 & 10 Sizing

triple_7
triple_7 Posts: 3
edited October 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi all,

After looking around for a little while and doing some research, one of the road bike choices I've narrowed things down to is a Cannondale CAAD 10 105. However, the problem is that no stores near me have it in the right sizes for me to try (60cm or 63cm).

I managed to find a CAAD 8 in 61cm which seemed to fit pretty perfect, although that's the largest size it comes in (quite sure that a 58cm would be too cramped for me). The dilemma I'm having is how different a CAAD 10 will feel in 60cm even though it's only a tad smaller than the CAAD 8 dimensions, or whether a 63cm would be better since the CAAD 10 can be bought larger.

My measurements in cm are below, which were taken for the Competitive Cyclist fit calculator:

Inseam: 91.5
Trunk: 66
Forearm: 39
Arm: 74
Thigh: 64
Lower Leg: 59
Sternal Notch: 157.5
Total Body Height: 191

Any advice would be great.

Thanks!

Comments

• Apologies to bump this up, although just to add another question having read some more posts here. :)

I noticed someone referred to Cannondale publishing their stack and reach measurements, which are below.

CAAD8 - 61cm
    Stack 62cm
    Reach 40.1cm

CAAD10 - 60cm
    Stack 59.3cm
    Reach 40.4cm

So will the reach of these feel around the same except the CAAD10 will have a little more seat post showing and lower/more aggressive riding position?

Thanks again.
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    To be fair, I would have thought a 58cm might be better for you, especially since you have long legs.

I'm a similar height and thats the size Id probably go for.

If you get a 60 or 63, it'll probably be to big and you'll end up using a silly little stem on it.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Also factor in that as they are a more traditional frame style they tend to size big (in comparison to other manufacturers) meaning you often end up with a smaller frame sizing on a Dale. e.g. if you are a 60 on your current bike you may be a 58 (or even 56) on a Dale
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • I'm 5'9" and my bike fit came out at 57cm on a Bianchi Infinito, which was bigger than expected. My Cannondale Six Carbon is 56cm tweaked to the same geoemtry (almost) as my Infinito.

The simple answer is to pay £75.00 or so for a proper bike fit, because they'll assess how you like to ride and how to set you up for optimum performance. My bike fit was the best 'bike buying' decision I ever made - I can now look at any bike geometry and judge if I can tweak it to fit me.
    I'm at that difficult age... somewhere between birth and death.
  • Hi Wheelie,

R you serious that your riding a 56 cm frame of cannondale frame..Your body proportions were normal for a 5ft9inch person. Am 5ft 9.25 inches with a normal proportions and recently got a 2014 caad8 56cms and finding it a bit large to me and still in the process of tweaking the stem and saddle height.Am finding the seat post is very less exposed to around 4 inches(fistfull) .what about you how much seat post is exposed for you ?Whether my decision is right ..please throw some more light.

Tx
    Arun.
  • Joeblack
    Joeblack Posts: 829
    To the op, in a caad10 or 8 you will want a 58, you're the same height and measurements as me
    One plays football, tennis or golf, one does not play at cycling
  • metronome
    metronome Posts: 670
    Maybe he's grown over the last 2 years :D

(@Arun)
    tick - tick - tick