Bikes for tall, oddly proportioned riders

hodgie30
hodgie30 Posts: 2
edited August 2012 in Road beginners
I'm a bit of a newbie when it comes to road cycling. Having always cycled about on an MTB, I started cycling on my Dad's road bike. He is considerably shorter than me though and I'm starting to realise if I want a bike of my own, it might be a little difficult to find one. Herein lies the problem. I'm 196cm (Just over 6'5") with a 2m (Over 6'6" and a half) armspan and a 94cm (37") inside leg... Does anybody have any idea what sort of bike might suit a frame (pun intended) like mine? Any help or direction would be much appreciated.

Comments

• giarc
    giarc Posts: 54
    Rose do very big frames - check out their geo on their website.
  • Penny farthing? (sorry, couldn't resist)
    B'TWIN Triban 5A
    Ridgeback MX6
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Treks suit odd people
  • It really depends on what bike you're buying.

With 'traditional' flat geometry road bikes, unless you buy made-to-measure generally you will buy based on the seat-tube length. This happens to work quite well because of the typical geometry of the bike, but it does mean that if you aren't of 'typical' proportions (whatever they are), you might find that the top tube is the wrong length for you even though the conventional wisdom says that the frame is the right size on account of the seat-tube length. Lots of people compensate with their stem lengths, but it's not the best way of doing it.

However, more 'modern' carbon and alloy road bikes with sloping geometries tend to have completely different sizing rules. It would seem that made-to-measure construction is less common with these bikes (though of course it does exist).

Cyclists come in all shapes and sizes though, so there will be a bike that fits you. Have a look at the sizing guides that you should be able to find on the websites of bike manufacturers, and do the measurements they suggest (probably your inseam multiplied by something-or-other). Go to a bike shop and ask. :)
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    There are 2 main aspects to fit:
    -Putting the points of contact (pedals, saddle, bars) in the right position for your comfort.
    -Placing you in relation to the wheels.
    On medium-sized bikes, everything is just about right for a medium rider. Doing this for big riders is not easy. The best exponent of Big Bikes is probably Zinn.
    One of the best readings on bike fit for any sized rider is Peter White.

Cannondale are traditionally good for larger riders. Fat-tubed aluminium bikes have a reputation for stiffness but on the largest sizes, stiffness is always in short supply. You may have to trawl through the geometry charts of the main brands to compare (effective) top tube length, bottom bracket height and chainstay length to find the biggest of everything.