2009 Reba SL Fork Switch Remote Poplock to On-Fork

richardjgreen
richardjgreen Posts: 5
edited August 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all,

Bought a pair of Rockshox Reba SL Dual Air forks from 2009 for my On One 456 frame this week. Got them used from eBay and judging from the pictures I can make out on Google Images that the seller has previously used the remote Poplock / Pushlock and as such replaced the stock Motion Control dial.

The question is, does anyone have a close up shot of the standard Motion Control dial from a simillar fork and/or a close up of the Poplock / Pushlock dial so that I can compare mine?

i want to put the forks back to standard without the remote control and have the adjustment on the forkleg, so how do I do this? I've seen kits for sale online for replacement Motion Control valves, but a lot of them say not for Reba 2009. Is it just the knob I have to change or do I have to replace the cylinder beneath the knob in the fork leg as I see some of the kits include this too?

Many thanks for any help anyone can give me.

Thanks
Richard

Comments

• Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    First of all, 120mm forks on a frame designed for 140mm?

IMO it's not worth the hassle replacing the remote. Why do you want to? Motion control is for use when the fork is locked out - it still allows the fork to move slightly but not like a turnkey damper which only allows movement for big hits.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    It's called a 456 because it's designed for between 4 and 6 inches.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Greer_ wrote:
    First of all, 120mm forks on a frame designed for 140mm?

IMO it's not worth the hassle replacing the remote. Why do you want to? Motion control is for use when the fork is locked out - it still allows the fork to move slightly but not like a turnkey damper which only allows movement for big hits.
    you have your info wrong.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • nicklouse
    Hi all,

Bought a pair of Rockshox Reba SL Dual Air forks from 2009 for my On One 456 frame this week. Got them used from eBay and judging from the pictures I can make out on Google Images that the seller has previously used the remote Poplock / Pushlock and as such replaced the stock Motion Control dial.

The question is, does anyone have a close up shot of the standard Motion Control dial from a simillar fork and/or a close up of the Poplock / Pushlock dial so that I can compare mine?

i want to put the forks back to standard without the remote control and have the adjustment on the forkleg, so how do I do this? I've seen kits for sale online for replacement Motion Control valves, but a lot of them say not for Reba 2009. Is it just the knob I have to change or do I have to replace the cylinder beneath the knob in the fork leg as I see some of the kits include this too?

Many thanks for any help anyone can give me.

Thanks
    Richard
    does the dial spring back? if yes then is is a remote MoCo cart.

many forks had a clamp on cable holder.

how to change it. see the faqs
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    cooldad wrote:
    It's called a 456 because it's designed for between 4 and 6 inches.

Never noticed that! Apologies, I seem to be talking crap again! :lol: (about all I said!) just ignore me :oops:
  • nicklouse wrote:
    does the dial spring back? if yes then is is a remote MoCo cart.

many forks had a clamp on cable holder.

how to change it. see the faqs

I checked it, and yes, if I turn the dial, it pings back to place. Looking more closely I can see a cable guide way in the knob too, so that figures. I'l l take a look at the FAQ, thanks. My reason for looking at this, is a seal or something in the Motion Control part of the fork is leaking damping oil, so it needs servicing and as I have no intention to use the Remote Lock I figured get rid of it.

With regard to the frame, yes the 456 is designed for 4,5 or 6 inch forks. I don't need uber travel for my riding, so 4 works for me.

Thanks
    Richard
  • I just read the FAQ post at viewtopic.php?f=40073&t=12686393 about removing the return spring which I'm guessing is the fix for my case, but this seems a bit of a bodge.

The forks are sold in some cases without the Remote Lock installed by default, so can't you buy the replacement knob and cartridge?
  • nicklouse
    Sure but at £80 do you want to spend that much.
  • nicklouse wrote:
    Sure but at £80 do you want to spend that much.

Point taken, I didn't think it would be that much.

Thanks for the help everyone. I'll take a look at sorting it.
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    You can get the knob as part of a service kit. Apart from the different knob, once you've disconnected the spring, the function is exactly the same as if you'd bought a fork without poplock.