Shorter front hub? Rotor rubbing on fork

myuranking
myuranking Posts: 8
edited August 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hey,

I have recently obtained a front brake and my local bike shop could not fit it on my bike. They said the rotor was rubbing the fork and that I would need a new wheel. My current bike wheel has an M475 hub. I was wondering if there are any shorter hubs since my LBS couldn't help me out. :(

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated. I know I should have checked before I bought the brake, but I bought it as a set for the price of just one brake

Regards

Myuran

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    sounds like the hub has been put together incorrectly.

there is a set of standards that the hubs are made to and your hub should be fine.

what are the forks? what are the brakes?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
    They said the rotor was rubbing the fork and that I would need a new wheel.

Try your wheel in another bike, this will either confirm or disconfirm a problem with the hub. Perhaps it's been serviced/dismantled and put back together incorrectly.
  • The brakes are Formula RX MY2010 and forks are Marzocchi MX Pro Lo 2008. I will take a picture and upload in a minute
  • nicklouse
    everything should work fine. sounds like hub spacing is off.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    G+?
    Seriously?
    SERIOUSLY?

Right. ahem.
    Some hubs have the disc mounting area slightly more outwards of the hub centre than ideal.
    Some forks have the brake mounting slightly closer to the hub centre than ideal.

Occasionally, you get the perfect storm where the two are at the extreme end of the tolerances, and things clash.
    However, I've Only ever seen them clash when using floating rotors.
  • nicklouse
    Looks like the hub has been in bits.

Looks like it is missing some washers. Get it stripped and rebuilt.

And find a better LBS.
  • Thanks for your help guys

Only reason I used G+ is because my phone has an instant upload option for photos.

I live in Worthing and the LBS I used is the best one around :( Would you recommend a big chain like Evans Cycles?
    Nicklouse, think it is possible to fit a front disc then?
  • nicklouse
    Nicklouse, think it is possible to fit a front disc then?
    yes. but the spacing on the hub needs sorting.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    And Evans can be good, generally.
  • nicklouse
    And Evans can be good, generally.

well any shop can be good just the same as any can be poor.

but I am surprised at your current LBS as they should know that that hub should fit and there is no other size to fit.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Fair point, but what I mean is that Evans have a pretty good reputation for having well trained staff.