7 Speed shifting issues

chazkayak
chazkayak Posts: 193
edited August 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Ive been trying to sort the gears out on my daughters bike, Its only a cheapie "argos special"!!!!

It came with 7 spd grip shift and a no name cheapo rear mech. I decided to change the grip shift cause it was dead stiff. Ive put another grip shift on(which is still stiff!!!!) but the gears keep jumping and not indexing correctly.

I fitted the shifter, tightened the cable up, set it to 7 on the shifter and on the bottom gear. twisted the grip to 6 it changes up ok then 5 ok, but then jumps from 5 to 3 when I select 4. It also jumps 1 and 2.

Getting annoyed with it now I dont want to spend loadsa money on it as the bike was only €30.

Is the setting up different for gripshift

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Nope, disconnect everything and start again. Only tighten the cable after you have set up the range of the mech.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    so what were the two gripshifts?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    I don't know much about grip shifters but surely you just need to play with the tension?
  • chazkayak
    Cooldad, tried the starting from begining thing and each time its the same.

Nicklouse, Cant remember whatthe first was, the new one is SRAM gripshift.

I bet you now say that shimano and SRAM gripshift arent compatible!!!!
  • Uli
    Uli Posts: 190
    I bet you now say that shimano and SRAM gripshift arent compatible!!!!

No they are not if you are talking rear mech. The mix and match is OK at the front- in theory at least.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Redundant post.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • chazkayak
    Do SRAM do any cheap rear mechs , and I mean CHEAP....less than a tenner cheap!!!!! I cant find any on ebay!!
  • Uli
    Uli Posts: 190
    It would be cheaper to get Shimano shifters ie. 7 speed Altus Amazon £9.99- maybe cheaper on ebay.
  • chazkayak
    hhhmmm, thinking that myself.